DarthYoshi

Idolize This, Part Deux--official KS college results thread

We've had a thread like this each year for the past couple of years, and it seems to work out pretty well, so I figured I'd resurrect it for this year.

Edebate has a list of UNI breaks, here is what I've managed to piece together regarding KS debaters breaking:

Baylor MR (McVey/Rooney)

Kansas JL (Johnson/Lathrop)

Kansas KQ (Kasten/Quigley)

Kansas PW (Press/Wright)

Texas-Dallas RS (Rubaie/Stephens)

Wichita State CC (Coleman/Cook)

Wichita State SS (Stone/Stenger)

If I inadvertently forgot any KS folks, my apologies--please correct the list if it is incomplete. Congratulations to all.

Just got back from an all-night bus ride from Wyoming.

Washburn had 10 of 16 in octs in NFA-LD: Brandon Wentz, Jessica Otto, Annaleigh Curtis, Marcus Schultz-Bergin, Alicia Phillips, Joelle Jasper, Joe Heschmeyer, Tyler Dooley, Dan Usera, and Jess Rezac. We then had 6 of the 8 quarters, then closed out in sems.

In Open Parli, WU had three teams break to double-octs: Heschmeyer/Wentz, Otto/Dooley, and Curtis/Schultz-Bergin. We all won our dubs rounds, but went out in octs. Otto got 19th speaker, Schultz-Bergin got 16th, and Curtis got 6th.

Hutchinson Community College was also there and I'm pretty sure I heard the name Jason Carey in finals for extemp (?) as well.

Congratulations to Kansans at UNI!

• Downvote 1

Cook and I dropped in Octas to Baylor and Sean Stenger and Chris Stone dropped in Octas to KU Nate Johnson and Lindey Lathrop, that KU team advanced to finals where they lost and KU Quiqley and Kasten made it to sems in this debate before both lost to the Mapes'es.

• Upvote 1

kansas showed a presence at this tournament that could not be matched, even by texas standards...i think. SMS MM ended up winning the thing (big surprise) but kansas showed an ability to challenge.

Props to Nate Johnson and Lindsey Lathrop, who are single handedly the most pleasant team to listen to in the nation. nate's lips produce nothing but angel whispers and he should have been the top speaker; this is no front to the prowess of Michael and Meggie Mapes, but i really like hearing him speak. Its like an oratorical hot fudge sundae.

I didn't pay much attention to the JV bracket, but last I saw, K-State Mendenhall and Hanson headed into the semi-final round undefeated. That's pretty sweet.

Oh and congratulations to Kasten and Quigley for what has to be the best quarters victory ever, heh.

I didn't pay much attention to the JV bracket, but last I saw, K-State Mendenhall and Hanson headed into the semi-final round undefeated. That's pretty sweet.

Oh and congratulations to Kasten and Quigley for what has to be the best quarters victory ever, heh.

They won the JV division, going 8-0 in prelims, Beth was the top speaker, and they won both sems and finals on 2-1 decisions

Heh. Congratulations to KSU. I always thought Mendenhall might make a decent debater if she could just get some passable coaching for a change. :D

There were lots of impressive Kansas performances, but none moreso than Dylan "Professor Quigglebuns" Quigley. From being the only freshman not named "Mapes" to win a speaker award, to beating one of the better teams in the district in Quarters on "text to the alt bad," this man was impressive.

Maybe this will get people to stop ripping on KS debate so much. Good game, guys. Good game, indeed.

At the Reed College tournament, Lewis & Clark AT (Eric Atcheson/Hannah Tierney, a non-Kansan) were semifinalists.

Also, the word on the street is that Washburn currently has two teams in semifinals at the William Jewell/Truman State swing--Heschmeyer/Wentz and Curtis/Schultz-Bergin.

They won the JV division, going 8-0 in prelims, Beth was the top speaker, and they won both sems and finals on 2-1 decisions

Hella good job. Props to both of them.

I know that Ben Jefferies is debating for George Mason this weekend at (I believe) Georgia Tech. Not sure how things are going, but I'm sure there's some Kansas love going down.

Dustin is correct, it is Georgia State.

Breaks have been posted on edebate, here is what I am able to sort out:

Kansas BJ, 5-3

Michigan FK (I'm pretty sure this is Dylan Keenan, but not 100% positive), 6-2

Missouri State KO, 6-2

Missouri State MM, 6-2

At Witchta State there were, suprise suprise, a ton of kansas people who broke and go speaker awards.... if I forget anyone I apoligize in advance

I know Paul Mose is from Kansas and he took second in open and was also first speaker.

David Cohen (waru) won the JV division and also took 10th speaker

Sarah Wyatt (BVN?) took 8th speaker and dropped in QTRS

Kara Theile (southeast KS somehwhere--can't get on facebook right not to figure out for sure) she got 5th speaker

well those are the people I know of who debated in HS in kansas--there were others who probably debate in kansas and others who didn't....so...again I apoligize if I didnt recognize you...

At William Jewell, just over the state line, Washburn CS (Curtis/Schultz-Bergin) and Washburn HW (Heschmeyer/Wentz) both made it to semifinals in parli. Heschmeyer also made it to finals in LD, but dropped.

Lots of other WU people were out and got speaker awards but I'm too tired to remember everything.