Darkness

Debate Camp

no, last year i went to djw (ben went to senior select at catholic) and next year we are both probably going to be heading to ddi. now im trying to find a free or cheap 3 week camp before that. senior assistants at djw is a possibility but thats hard to get into, any suggestions?

depending on ur preference, GMU is both good and inexpensive... i went there last year and it's awesome cuz the people are just so fun and the ev is good. anyways, i dunno if it's before or after the camp u have in mind but go to patriotclassic.com and check it out

For anyone who is planning on attending GMU this summer, you can recieve a $50 discount for applying by Feb 1 or a $25 discount for applying by April 1.

speaking of gmu....

I plan to apply for Mason Fellows. If I don't make it does that mean I have to then apply again to get into Classic? Or should I just apply for both?

If you want to be in fellows, only apply for fellows. Right now, you should fill out the online registration for the camp. Once we recieve that, we will send you the application for fellows.

Whats the difference between classic and fellows? Im thinking about applying for the Patriot Classic, but I have no clue what Fellows is.

Fellows is the top lab at Mason. It is limited enrollment and admission is competitive - you have to apply and are competing against other applicants for a set number of slots. It is a great camp!!:) Mr. H.

Mason Fellows and Mason Juniors are more advanced labs with admission by application only. We cap admission in these labs in order to guarantee low student to faculty ratios, foster discussion in small groups, and promote indvidualized attention. These labs are 3 weeks long, and Mason Fellows applicants have the possibility of recieving merit scholarships.

Patriot Classic is a less intense but still very challenging camp. It offers 2 and 3 week options and is geared towards intermediate debaters. This lab is perfect for debaters who have one to two years of experience and are looking to advance their debate skills.

ahh im jealous.. like, the whole wacfl communities gonna be there minus heights, GC, and then random me from broad run.:(

true. you will be in the one and only place that could possibly exceed the funness (and yes i am calling it funness and im also not capitalizing when i say 'i' or any other proper grammar so.. ya) of camp... and that would be college.

are you RAing anywhere?

• Upvote 1

I haven't thought at all about RAing... it's an interesting possibility, actually. Spending night after night with a bunch of debat- wait- maybe it's not such a good idea after all :P

to anyone who knows about GMU,

i just sent in my thing for mason juniors. i thought this was a two week camp but the email back said it was 3. is it 3 weeks for fellows and juniors or just 3 for mason fellows?

thanks.

This is my second year of debate and im planning on participating GMU's summer camp. For a second year like me, would you recommend the 2 week or the 3 week?

Chris's humble opinion is 3-week:

1- you get more practice debate time in

2- more time to cut ev

3- more criticism from matt and allie and jomel and jonny math and emily and other cool people

4- more time around us cool debaters

well now i might be going to Miami.. so i'll be there or catholic. if i end up at miami which is what im thinking grant you or some other broad run people need to go to catholic! I honestly learned every single debate skill i posess from the people there.

It is my opinion that going to any debate camp for less than 3 weeks is a waste of time and money.

1 week camps only serve to give you the bare basics on the topic, and often don't include a substantial amount of practice debates.

2 week camps give you a bit more perspective on the topic, and a few more practice rounds, but you're really only hitting your stride in both the researching of cases/arguments, and practice debating at the end of two weeks.

3 weeks or more gives you plenty of time to let the lectures sink in, to do the work, and to get in a lot more practice rounds.

That is not to say that if a week or two is all you can spend on debate in the summer, that you shouldn't go to camp..just to say that if you can give more than 2 weeks, you should.

Mr. H.

I wouldn't discourage people from going to a 2 week camp or call it a waste of time or money. Generally, the longer the camp the more you are going to get out of it, but some people dont have the ability spend 3 weeks at camp or pay for a 3 week camp.

The beneifts of our 3 week option include a full extra week of practice debates and speeches. In the three week program, we will dedicate one week to the aff, one week to the neg, and set aside the third week for skills development and practice debates.

The 2 week program will provide you with a good background on the topic, access to the evidence produced during the first 2 weeks of the camp, and a good number of debates and practice speeches. You will certainly be prepared for the upcoming season if this is the option you choose.

The most important factors in deciding whether to come for two or three weeks are your own goals and comitment level. The third week will offer a greater opportunity for skill development and critiqued debate, so I would recomend it, but depending on your needs, either option could be a better fit.

Wow, Allison, you definitely hit the nail on the head with what I was gonna say. I mean, last summer I really couldn't commit to the 3 weeks just cuz of scheduling and stuff... but *edit: 2 weeks* was still an AWESOME experience. Most of the lectures help you with skills and everything but, in my opinion, it was the practice debates and the critiquing afterwards that helped a bunch. You really can't go wrong either way... it's pretty much up to you! But, yeah... GMU was/is awesome... looking forward to the summer big time!