Alex

Elections thread

Here's my question that I don't see addressed anywhere in this thread:

What is the job description of the mod?

Then, why are some more qualified to do it based on attending national circuit/NFL/CFL tournaments? This is a serious question, not a sarcastic one.

I have no desire to do this job, but I'd like to be informed about how the candidates feel on these issues so I can vote for the best person.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that some are more qualified than others based on their national circuit appearance etc...It's more of a comfort level factor I'd say. Most debaters in the GL travel nationally and thus knowing the mod personally (maturity, responsibility etc.) or something like that is definitely an advantage for the mod and the debaters.

Thanks alont Fareed. Your explanation makes a lot of sense to me. I agree that this forum seems pretty well managed, except for the missing laptop thread from last week....

Thanks alont Fareed. Your explanation makes a lot of sense to me. I agree that this forum seems pretty well managed, except for the missing laptop thread from last week....

...deleted by the creator of the thread.

I was not mollified in time, so much to my own chagrin, I had to register as a candidate myself. Here is why you should consider voting for me. First, in all of the various public and private fora I have administered, I've never allowed my personal feelings about people and ideas to influence my decisions. You should interpret that as meaning that the standards would be the same for everyone. I don't play favorites. I also don't care if you like me or not. Therefore, my personal attitudes don't tend to influence my decions in how to moderate, and I end up being pretty impartial. Second, I look at this forum the same way that Mikey has. I don't care about irrelevant BS threads, so I wouldn't be moving them to other places simply because they serve no actual purpose. If you want to fart around, far be it from me to stop you. But, I do recognize the value of the actual threads of purpose, and would therefore continue to use the Tournament Thread Master List that Mikey established to index all of those threads. I would also likely expand the indexing project to include a Great Lakes caselist/facebook, so that we can have a single place to go to get all of that information. It seems like it would be useful, especially given the inherent shortcomings of the forum's search features. Third, I travel extensively both as a coach and as a hired gun, so I have a solid grasp of what is going on in the entire region. That means that not only do I keep up on tournaments and events, but I have a good grasp of who's who. So, if some pissant novice starts spouting off and using too much inappropriate language, I can cut right to the chase and just ask his/her coach to tighten the leash, so to speak. Fourth, I am very easily contacted by all of the major IM networks and email. I live in front of a computer, so if you have a problem, question, or concern, I am generally around to get it taken care of.

We've got a good thing going here, so let's work to make sure it stays a good thing.

I was not mollified in time, so much to my own chagrin, I had to register as a candidate myself.

That sounds vaguely similar to my thought process about 2 years ago.

Thanks for jumping on the GL grenade, Dan. Good times.