Alex

Elections thread

If people use it, and cross-x is here to serve the debate community, then what's the problem? Its not as though its existence obstructs the use of cross-x for other people.

to summarize the story so far:

can't install the silvernail kid (obvious reasons)

can't install the holmgren kid (is molly ryan)

this is, i believe, what we call square one.

Then why don't you run?

And, seriously, you're talking as though you alone make the decision as to who becomes the moderator.

And why do you care?

until someone else i trust becomes the one who picks, i will have to continue. i care because people rely on this forum to be able to successfully do their jobs and provide for themselves and their dependants. therefore, the outcome matters very much. the last time someone unacceptable was installed, it took a while before the forum resumed its previous character and stability. we cannot afford another such incident.

some day, when you grow up and/or win a debate round, maybe you'll understand that the internet is valuable for more than revealing your bad taste in music.

can't install the holmgren kid (is molly ryan)

What I am not Molly Ryan. Not that I would run anyway. Still, moving that ridiculous thread to Misc. where it belongs is a good idea and not some sort of totalitarian crackdown. At least, I don't think so.

some day, when you grow up and/or win a debate round, maybe you'll understand that the internet is valuable for more than revealing your bad taste in music.

You're so wise.

this is working just like british parliament, monsieur banana. pretend that dan is blair, and your boy timm is gordon. its not a perfect comparison, but it works. functionally whoever gets dan's support wins massive support for their campaign, and the opposite is also true. plus, it goes to prove that populations are swayed by the most vocal members.

• Upvote 1

neal learned something. ferris must be treating you better than the cass corridor.

this is working just like british parliament, monsieur banana. pretend that dan is blair, and your boy timm is gordon. its not a perfect comparison, but it works. functionally whoever gets dan's support wins massive support for their campaign, and the opposite is also true. plus, it goes to prove that populations are swayed by the most vocal members.

i don't want to be british:(

i've already states that i don't expect to win, but i will keep running; i'm the ralph nader of the GL forums ok, why is that such a problem. and you have yet (dan) to actually state why i shouldn't Mod this forum.

i miss harmony gardens.

and the silvernail-kid-shouldn't-be-in-control-of-important-things reasons remain as self-evident as they were when i pointed them out as such above. reasons like fixation upon the opinions of other people.

i miss harmony gardens.

and the silvernail-kid-shouldn't-be-in-control-of-important-things reasons remain as self-evident as they were when i pointed them out as such above. reasons like fixation upon the opinions of other people.

umm, when was it established that i care about what other people think? i've moderated forums before ad have done a fine job, no complaints thusfar. but w/e believe what you want.

ok, so here's the rub. i'm concerned. if my concerns are not mollified within forty-eight hours, i will have to take action. that means, if when i get back from latin class on wednesday morning i am not confident that there are two candidates in the race in whose moderation i am confident, i will enter the race myself to ensure that the forum remains up to my standards. i'd rather not have to do that, so please begin mollifying me now.

i don't want to be british:(

i've already states that i don't expect to win, but i will keep running; i'm the ralph nader of the GL forums ok, why is that such a problem. and you have yet (dan) to actually state why i shouldn't Mod this forum.

Dan has stated it and you should not be mod because you went to ionia and won like what 3 rounds your entire 4 years of high school?

the fact that the silvernail kid is a permanovice is at best a tertiary concern for me. the reason i can't allow him to be a moderator in this forum is because he is not qualified. this is self-evident in his posts, even in this thread. he's something of a crybaby, and doesn't possess an adequate understanding of how the debate community works to do the job. as i've mentioned before, to do the job, one needs at least a passing familiarity with all or most of the relevant state governing bodies, the NFL, the CFL and the national circuit. one needs to know the coaches and the schools and the tournaments. it helps to be possessed of actual debate skills, but i think we've had mods who did a good job modding despite lacking the ability to win championships. however, absent the knowledge of the institutions at play and fixation on the opinions of others precludes success in this instance. if you care about what people think, then you will be an LBJ. i don't want an LBJ, so i'm still shopping.

i should stress that i am not motivated by malice in this instance. i don't think ill of the silvernail kid, i just don't think of him at all.

i concur with my associate david that fareed should probably run again, unless it greatly inconveniences him. i say this because i have known fareed since his novice season, and i trust his judgment. he gets the dan seal of approval. so, i am half-mollified. if someone else finishes the mollification process, then i will consider nominations closed and we can begin discussions of a voting strategy to ensure that the right two candidates win.

game on.

hahaha

That made me laugh.

I'm leaving this conversation. Timm, if you run, I'll vote for you.

Here's my question that I don't see addressed anywhere in this thread:

What is the job description of the mod?

Then, why are some more qualified to do it based on attending national circuit/NFL/CFL tournaments? This is a serious question, not a sarcastic one.

I have no desire to do this job, but I'd like to be informed about how the candidates feel on these issues so I can vote for the best person.