oasasaurus

Okemos 2006 Debate Tournament 09/29/2006-09/30/2006

Okemos 2006 Debate Tournament

FRIDAY 09/29/2006 AND SATURDAY 09/30/2006

The Okemos High School Debate team is pleased and proud to invite you to our second annual Debate Tournament. This year we are holding our tournament at the High School, which gives us substantially more room for entries!

DIVISIONS AND FEES

We will offer Varsity (Open) 2P and Novice 2P divisions of policy debate. Both will have 5 prelims. Open will break to octas, and Novice will break to semis unless entry conditions require a schedule revision. The fee to enter a team in either division is $35, and the fee for each half-hire (covering one 2P team) is $60.

Please make checks payable to Orion Smith. If your school does not allow this contact Orion and we will make appropriate arrangements. Should you need to hire a judge please let Orion know ASAP.

TOURNAMENT PAIRING

We will offer two randomly paired rounds followed by three high-low within brackets debates. We will allow judge strikes for about 10% of our Varsity (Open) judging pool.

REGISTRATION

There are two methods of registration. If you prefer email or if the online system is not yet functional when you wish to register, please send your registration to Orion Smith at smithori@msu.edu with the following information: school, number of teams, divisions, names of debaters and judges as those become available. A sample email will be available on our tournament website. When it becomes available you may also register online at the Okemos website, http://okemos.debateteams.net/tournament.aspx. Fees will be frozen at 5:00 PM the Wednesday before the tournament.

MIFA MEETING 09/29

The MIFA Forensic Council will meet on the Friday of our event (09/29) at Okemos High School from 9AM-2PM, in the Library Media Center. If you are on the Council you will receive separate communication about this event.

LODGING

Once again we are “blessed” to have a large MSU football game sharing our weekend, this time the Homecoming game vs. Illinois. Expect some traffic increases on Saturday morning. This also affects available lodging. We were not able to secure any room blocks at hotels right by the tournament, but were again able to make a deal with the Lansing Days Inn at a $64 rate. This hotel is within easy driving distance of the tournament.

Days Inn

6501 South Pennsylvania, Lansing MI 48911

(517) 393-1650

Reservation number: 84386

HOUSING

We are committed to housing as many individuals as we can arrange for: please contact Orion Smith for details.

SCHEDULE

Registration on Friday 09/29 is from 2:35 to 3:15 in the cafeteria. Complete tournament schedule will be available at the tournament website.

WEBSITE

http://okemos.debateteams.net/tournament.aspx

CONTACT

Orion Smith, tournament director

smithori@msu.edu

(517) 490-0376 (cell)

(517) 432-4022 (work)

TOURNAMENT LOCATION

Okemos High School

2800 Jolly Rd.

Okemos, MI 48864

We hope to see you at the end of September!

West Ottawa is planing to come this year.

Not sure on how many teams yet.

hehehehe i love west ottawa we play you in football friday!

Janessa, you folks are coming right? That was my guess anyway from Marc's cheerful "see you at Okemos!" posting.

well yes i think...haha its the weekend of our homecoming so yeah...but we ARE the debate team so i dont know how much conflict we'll have

Groves is coming:

Varsity-

Brad and Ryan N.

Ben and Igor

Those are the only partnerships I'm actually sure about but there are definitely other people in varsity and novices who I don't the names of.

So who all is going?

Final list of Groves teams:

Varsity:

Brad Meloche and Ryan Nierman

Ben Ryu and Igor Shleypak

Sean Beyer and Nick Moenck

David Guz and Tyler Duvendack

Also, novices.

Not final yet, as it turns out. Just received annother entry (there were a bunch today), so I'll not release a final count until tomorrow evening.

Here are the schools currently entered:

East Kentwood

Portage Northern

Forest Hills Northern

Gaylord

Mona Shores

Groves

Seaholm

East Grand Rapids

Dow

South Lyon

Northview

Detroit Country Day

West Ottawa

West Bloomfield

Brother Rice

Forest Hills Central

Uh what? Your coach called me last Friday with a different story. Can you ask him to call or email me and confirm this information? We were even going to waive some of your fees...

hehehehe i love west ottawa we play you in football friday!

hehehehe i love holland, because we slaughter them in football! (I can't say the same about debate, so I say it all the other times I can)

hehehehe i love holland, because we slaughter them in football! (I can't say the same about debate, so I say it all the other times I can)

yeah but everyone slaughters us in football so i dont think it counts

Uh what? Your coach called me last Friday with a different story. Can you ask him to call or email me and confirm this information? We were even going to waive some of your fees...

Yeah, I'll have him call you. Thanks anyway, though.

i'll type what i know

Novice:

Mona Shores CN def. West Ottawa on a 2-1. Im very happy to say i sat....

Varsity:

DCD MS def. Seaholm on a 2-1. W. Busch sat.

First speaker in Varsity: Aakash Gupta

i'll type what i know

Novice:

Mona Shores CN def. West Ottawa on a 2-1. Im very happy to say i sat....

Varsity:

DCD MS def. Seaholm on a 2-1. W. Busch sat.

First speaker in Varsity: Aakash Gupta

yay go you