jmiller

Georgia Rankings

Last year I developed a sort of successful ranking system that was quite interesting to follow. Since I am still involved in the circuit, I plan on continuing it.

Each tournament gets a certain amount of points (based on entries/level of competition). The points are divided among the award winners (elim participants and/or 1st thru 5th). For instance, Mcintosh Academy's first place winner recieved 5 pts while the 5th place winner recieved 1 point.

I will post the updated results every week starting next Sunday or Monday.

Also, I was just watching some GPTV show on High School sports. As a math major, I am in to mathematical rankings and statistics.

If we had a ranking system on schools I would figure it to be similar to this

Unofficial Pre-Season Rankings

AAAAA

1. Chattahoochee- New coach (Luke Hill) from Northwestern definitly going to help them return to the State Champion seat. Hooch has some great returning debaters who will definitly rack up some TOC bids. Coach Herndon will help them try and not only be succesful here in GA but on the national circuit as well

2. Milton- Kevin Bottoms/David Elkind return for their senior year in search of a TOC bid and State Championship. They are guarenteed favorites in almost every round they are in!

3. Brookwood- They lost two strong debaters in Gibson/Goure-- but hope is not lost. They have four strong debaters left, but may be hurt a little bit with the less travel.

4. Wheeler- An underrated school like Wheeler has a shot at a lot of surprise victories. Plattenburg leads the team and will definitly pick up some big wins this year.

5. Warner Robins- Jamie Watson, an NFL qualifier, returns to try to get WaRob back on the map!

AAAA

1. Woodward- They have Bobo and Bobby as their A team and Coach Seaver will definitly help them get some TOC bids this year. Possibly even a State championship (If they go to some state tournaments!)

2. Fayette County- They lost 33 seniors to graduation, but Fayette isn't done yet. They move down a classification this year. They have a huge novice class and a leader in Erica Cherry and Kamilah Gray that could will get them some wins this year.

3. Thomas County Central- They have four strong debaters returning with more knowledge than ever. Vaughn will get them some great wins and they will be fighting for a AAAA State Championship.

4. Starr's Mill- Even though they don't have a policy team, you can't forget about the strong Starr's Mill. They have so many returning NFL Nationals qualifiers as well as returning State Champions in OO and State Runner up in PF.

5. McIntosh- They are rebuilding this year with a huge novice team and some JV debaters. Watch out for these kids as they are just going to be getting better the more tournaments they attend!

AAA

1. Westminster- No doubt Jenny Heidt will get some winners this year. They lost some huge TOC debaters last year, but Stephen Weil is still here! Don't forget about their huge novice team from last year (Sathian, Haque, Jeegadeesh, Seifesalassie, etc). They are looking to take the AAA State Championship and TOC Champion back!

2. Chamblee- They are just getting better and better. They lost Elliot Lefkovitz to early graduation, but Kathryn Wright is left and will debate with Daniel Sok and they will definitly get some good wins this year. Don't forget-- Chamblee won the AAAA State Championship last year!

3. Henry W. Grady- Grady lost their two best debaters (Sherman/Thomas) to Emory, but Minh Lam, John Holland, Alexis Armand, and Bree Grey-Jordan are left. Holland/Armand qualified for Nationals last year as freshman and will definitly be in the race for some huge wins this year!

4. Carrollton- They receive a Cairo debater (Diamond Holland) due to transfer that will only help them this year. Ernest Hasbun is their captain and will definitly not lose the reputation of Carrollton's success.

5. Riverwood- They lost huge debaters in Sun/Robins but don't worry they will have some tricks up their sleeves and will be a surprise team this year!

AA

1. Calhoun- New coach Ed Williams is going to take the team to new heights. One of the best young debaters I have ever seen returns (Leah Smith) as a FRESHMAN! Dana Higgins and Leah Poole will definitly get at least one TOC Bid and they will try to beat Pace for State Championship!

2. Pace- Shunta Jordan is not going to have Calhoun up there for long. Every debater is returning from their State Championship last year. Simi Chaudhry is argubly their top debater and will strive again to knock off everyone and win another State Championship. Don't forget about their amazing youngin's in Peyton Lee and Jennifer Armstrong who went 5-3 at Harvard as freshman!

3. Early County- Daniel Bagwell leads the small team out of Blakely. Their A team will definitly be a tough team to beat on the circuit! Watch out- they will get some upsets!

4. McIntosh Academy- New coach James Holt will only bring success to Mcintosh. They will offer Starr's Mill some competition on the IE circuit.

5. Vidalia- The program is being revamped this year due to Coach Ikner and they will definitly raise some eyebrows on the circuit!

A

1. Trion- Returning A State Champions! Coach Trobaugh will definitly have some competition in A but I believe Trion will pull off another surprising year.

2. Lincoln County- The Robinsons should not be counted out. They always qualify someone for Nationals and they have some State Championships under their belt. Watch for all their thirdy year debaters as they are just getting better and better.

3. Lakeview Academy- Coach Ingram never fails to amaze people by bringing in winners in almost every division. She will not quit this year and she will still try to give LC and Trion some competition for A State.

4. St. Francis- Watch out, I saw these kids debate last year and they will surprise some people. Coach Diehl is doing something over there at St. Francis that this kids will just get better as they get more experience.

Note: There are unranked teams. I only shared the top five teams. I will release more rankings later...

• Upvote 1

2. Lincoln County- The Robinsons should not be counted out. They always qualify someone for Nationals and they have some State Championships under their belt. Watch for Amy Dandron as she is their star debater and will try to create some havoc in A.

i never thought that amy would be our star debater...:)

I honestly think Trion will be full of surprises this year. There isn't a single senior to the team, meaning they wont lose any of our good debaters this year. Last year, multiple Trion teams who were in their first year of debate made quite a mark on the JV level and also on the Varsity level. Not to mention some second year debaters who did well in the Varsity level all year long. Trion Debaters to watch for: Kunzleman, Day, Helms, Alred, Dukes, Mcwhorter.

Another reason why I believe that Trion will do so well this year is that all of our best debaters have passion in debate (except for Kunzleman, so much apathy within him). I belive that if Trion brings more teams to NFL mountain districts, that they would win a nationals bid for sure. Trion will be a force to reckon with I believe at any tournament.

• Downvote 2

I wouldn't have thought it either, Nik. :)

:eek2:you actually agree with me on something...is it the apocalyse already:)

I got neg repped for my post above I dont know why I was just seeing if "Shakaka" was a debater from Lincoln county and if he debated at MCA so whoever neg repped me I hope I didnt offended you by my use of words

• Upvote 1

So Diamond did go to c-ton...interesting...

mos def

im thinkin another reason is because of possum.

you didnt hear that from me though...

mos def

im thinkin another reason is because of possum.

you didnt hear that from me though...

I think I know who u mean by possum...and bro, I think it is kinda out there now(since u did post it and all) but hear what from whom?

And CairoDC, dont be so quick to apologize. It is only bad rep and doesn't matter. You are just lucky that people can no longer constantly give u bad reputation. Not to mention it makes you sound kind of soft and weak. However, with the question u originally asked, you did only have sincerity in mind.

• Downvote 2

I honestly think Trion will be full of surprises this year. There isn't a single senior to the team, meaning they wont lose any of our good debaters this year. Last year, multiple Trion teams who were in their first year of debate made quite a mark on the JV level and also on the Varsity level. Not to mention some second year debaters who did well in the Varsity level all year long. Trion Debaters to watch for: Kunzleman, Day, Helms, Alred, Dukes, Mcwhorter.

Another reason why I believe that Trion will do so well this year is that all of our best debaters have passion in debate (except for Kunzleman, so much apathy within him). I belive that if Trion brings more teams to NFL mountain districts, that they would win a nationals bid for sure. Trion will be a force to reckon with I believe at any tournament.

Thank you for posting our entire team roster for JV and Varsity with an exception. Cam quit.

() <--Loop :( <-----you

• Downvote 1

I got neg repped for my post above I dont know why I was just seeing if "Shakaka" was a debater from Lincoln county and if he debated at MCA so whoever neg repped me I hope I didnt offended you by my use of words

i didnt even see that post sorry

to answer your both questions at once yes

Bloody crap Cochran!! You misspelled my last name, dude! It is A-L-L-R-E-D! Just stick to Long John Silver's and don't post anymore. By the way, Emmie isn't on the team either, so it's just Allred-Helms and Kunzelman-McWhorter going Varsity this year. Have fun at work. Make them greasy fried foods!

Updated List:

Point List:

1- Carrollton HaW

1- Early BB

3- Chamblee SW

3- Chamblee GR

5- Fayette GD

5- Lincoln MS

5- Carrollton HoW

5- Houston BL

9- Warner Robins WS

10- Stephenson IS

GHSA Team List ( Top 3):

AAAAA:

1. Hooch

2. Milton

3. Brookwood

AAAA:

1. Woodward

2. Fayette

3. TCC

AAA:

1. Westminster

2. Chamblee

3. Carrollton

AA:

1. Pace

2. Calhoun

3. Early

A:

1. Lincoln

2. Trion

3. Lakeview

# 1 Chamblee SW

# 2 Chattahoochee GG

# 3 Chattahoochee ML

# 4 Carrollton HaW

# 5 Chattahoochee BS

# 6 Early BB

# 7 Grady LG

# 8 Chamblee GR

# 9 Woodward BR

# 10 Woodward DM

Schools Rankings:

AAAAA:

1. Hooch

2. Milton

3. Brookwood

AAAA:

1. Woodward

2. Fayette

3. Starr's Mill

AAA:

1. Westminster

2. Chamblee

3. Carrollton

AA:

1. Pace

2. Calhoun

3. Early

A:

1. Lincoln

2. Trion

3. Lakeview

Personally I'm really pumped about this year. Warner Robins may finally get some of the limelight. We've got some great looking Novice teams. As for Varsity Jamie, of course, is returning and I'm actually finally getting more into debate (and might be debating with him more as well)

actually- they both get the same amount of pts for getting to finalls.. really htey are tied...

yeah- but isnt your ranking system also based of prelim wins?

# 1 Early BB

# 2 Carrollton HaW

# 3 Chamblee SW

# 4 Carrollton HoW

# 5 Chattahoochee GG

# 6 Chattahoochee ML

# 7 Calhoun HP

# 8 Calhoun JB

# 9 Woodward CN

# 10 Chattahoochee BS

Schools (Beginning of each month, I will give explanations):

AAAAA:

1. Chattahoochee- Need I say more? Very impressive almost closing out Brookwood's semifinals!

2. Milton- Had one or two JV teams clear at Wake (not an easy tournament). Their varsity still has yet to debut on the GA circuit though.

3. Brookwood- They sent people to Wake and had two 3-3 teams, fairly decent. They debut on the circuit this weekend!

4. Wheeler- They sent their B team to Brookwood and went 2-3, not bad.

5. Warner Robins- They went to a couple of tournaments in September, where they picked up 2nd speaker at one. One of their novice teams seem strong this year.

AAAA:

1. Woodward- They lost 3 quarterfinal rounds to Hooch at Brookwood. They are back on the circuit (maybe not with their A or B teams). They got their first all state bid this past weekend.

2. Fayette- They broke at the Fayette Classic but dropped in quarters. They were ninth seed at Warner Robins, Watch out- they are just warming up!

3. Thomas County- With a new aff broken, and being learned they are on fire. Watch out for their next showing...

4. Lakeside- They jump from nowhere. They have a bright future ahead of them with their JV kids who won Warner Robins (i think). Also, their varsity team is not too shabby.

5. Whitewater- At their first JV tournament ever, they break someone in quarters. Then they break a novice team into octos. Coach Tang and Coach Marsh are doing something right.

AAA:

1. Westminster- I saw three of their teams debate at Brookwood, all were phenominal. They have yet to pick up an All State bid but just wait.

2. Chamblee- Kathryn Wright is leading this team to new expectations. They were in the first All State Bid round ever and dropped on a 2-1 decision. Don't worry, i expect an All State bid to go to Chamblee this year.

3. Grady- Minh Lam and Bree Gray-Jordan are phenominal. They were 5-1 or 6-0 at Wake in JV and then they got an All State bid at Brookwood. They are only sophomores! This is phenominal for Grady!

4. Carrollton- Wilkins and Hasbun have won the Fayette tournament and got to quarters at Warner Robins. They are "loving" debate this season. Forget about Swatek and Icaza, Cton has a new A team.

5. Cairo- Through early season struggles, Cairo is now looking on the upside. I would just wait for the season to mature, just as they will. They debuted their B team at Warner Robins.

AA:

1. Calhoun- They had 2 teams get All State bids this past weekend. Dana and Leah were 1st seed at 5-0. Watch out for Calhoun on the local circuit, but let's see if they can get success on the national circuit.

2. Pace- Jennifer Armstrong and Peyton Lee broke at GDS this past weekend yet dropped in Octofinals. They have yet to debut any varsity on the circuit, wait until this weekend!

3. Early- The Houn and Pace need to watch their butts because Dan and Franks know what they are doing. They have now been co champions at the two tournaments they have been two (and they have only dropped two ballots all year!!). watch out for BB!

4. Vidalia- They debuted at Warner Robins and are making their Varsity debut at Evans!

5. McIntosh Academy- I have yet to see them in action!

A:

1. Lincoln County- Abigail Minor. Hands Down. The girl is a phenominal speaker! 2nd Speaker at Fayette and 7th at Warner Robins. They lost their bid round to Early so watch out for Lincoln!

2. Trion- They may have competition this year for State, but Trion isnt to shabby either, they had some decent teams at Warner Robins.

• Upvote 1