Sign in to follow this  
IrnScrabbleChf52

Some Specific Questions

1.) When would one find use for a k on "culture?" I don't believe that this would find much use in the 06-07 topic, but if anyone has ideas, I'd be glad to hear them. . .

2.) Has anyone heard of k's written by "Kap" or "Kappler?"

3.) If anyone has a k written by White in 90, pm me.

Well...if you really wanted to then you could print and read it in a debate round....

What I think the K is saying (and this may not be necessarily true, this is just what I understand from it) is that the Aff specifies a dominant agency, and that agency has the power to do things like give people rights/freedom, and with that can define who is and who is not worthy of said rights, so in turn the dominant agency ends up causing more violence and destruction of freedom then there would be without an agency. The alt then is to change the interpretation of what is seen as being 'right' and 'just', which would cause radical political movements that would oppose the rights and power of the domiant agency....

of couse I could be wrong about what it is saying, so maybe someone who understand better could help me out too...

1. You could use it as a cultural imperialism sort of arg, at least with the peace corps. other than that, it would probably have terrible impact stories and a shitty alt.

2. Kappeler says that we externalize violence-aka we blame things like rape, racism, murder, ect. on institutions. we then go on to say, "if i were the government/prez/UN, then i would do x." the idea of governmental action/responsibility is used to mask our own personal responsibility for racism/sexism/militarism. the alt is to recognize that these decisions are where the justification comes from, and that this is where we can fight it. the other swing of the arg is that it is also used as an excuse-aka, when a soldier kills someone, this responsibility is displaced onto the gov because it told him too. it places questions of ethical action into the hands of an immoral actor, namely institutions and the state.

an example on this year's topic would be DADT. we blame homophobia on policies like DADT and say "if i were the gov, i would end this." this ignores that we allow heterosexism in our everyday decisions. the aff then doesn't solve, and further masks oppression.

• Upvote 1

I have a question about the kappler K but in all honesty... I'm just going off from this thread.

So the Kappler K is good against moral/ethics advantages - such as racism/sexism/etc, but does it link to civic engagement? In the same sense that you say that working through the state by establishing a policy, you can't change racist mindsets and responbility, is it alright to say you can't change mindsets/shift responsbility of the politically unmotivated?

I have a question about the kappler K but in all honesty... I'm just going off from this thread.

So the Kappler K is good against moral/ethics advantages - such as racism/sexism/etc, but does it link to civic engagement? In the same sense that you say that working through the state by establishing a policy, you can't change racist mindsets and responbility, is it alright to say you can't change mindsets/shift responsbility of the politically unmotivated?

You can make that arg, but the k links to it. The evidence talks about how we use political solutions in order to mask personal responsibility-essentially, by motivating people politically, you shift their focus away from what they can do to what the state can do. this k is also read with some nayar ev saying that the world the aff attempts to solve with political solutions doesn't exist-only micropolitical solutions deal with what actually happens.

And this arg shouldn't every really be a round winner-the alt will capture better solvency than this, and if it doesn't, the neg has already lost.

Kapps is a k of fiat, i learned this the hard way. The very link is "if i were the usfg, i'd do x" instead of "i will do x" Saying what the usfg should do trades off with saying what you'd do. You really don't need anymore link than a plan text, but Kapps coud solve civic engagement better, it could access a better form of civic engagement, like actually doing shit, instead of saying the usfg should do shit. Ask ECL, he waxed me ont his bullshit arg....

You can make that arg, but the k links to it. The evidence talks about how we use political solutions in order to mask personal responsibility-essentially, by motivating people politically, you shift their focus away from what they can do to what the state can do. this k is also read with some nayar ev saying that the world the aff attempts to solve with political solutions doesn't exist-only micropolitical solutions deal with what actually happens.

And this arg shouldn't every really be a round winner-the alt will capture better solvency than this, and if it doesn't, the neg has already lost.

But couldn't the K say in this specific instance that you push the responsibility of encouraging people to engage in democratic politics and instead you should individually take responsibility of civic engagement in your everyday decisions. Because what it seems to be is that the K doesn't say the state is bad - it's just that you shift responsibilities onto the state which is bad. You must individually take action to shape the world around you. Mczeitgiest said it too - instead of you saying the state should make you more civically engaged, you should do it yourself.

Also, I was wonderin then, if you run the K... then you engage in on case debate, would you link? You're framing the debate in the USFG stance, but you're runnin a K that says we should take individual responsibility.

Have you guys heard of the Nayar and the Global Local K? What do you think of those...

But couldn't the K say in this specific instance that you push the responsibility of encouraging people to engage in democratic politics and instead you should individually take responsibility of civic engagement in your everyday decisions. Because what it seems to be is that the K doesn't say the state is bad - it's just that you shift responsibilities onto the state which is bad. You must individually take action to shape the world around you. Mczeitgiest said it too - instead of you saying the state should make you more civically engaged, you should do it yourself.

Also, I was wonderin then, if you run the K... then you engage in on case debate, would you link? You're framing the debate in the USFG stance, but you're runnin a K that says we should take individual responsibility.

Have you guys heard of the Nayar and the Global Local K? What do you think of those...

you can't say that your plan does that-kap says that saying what the state should do is her link. that is used to shift away responsibility-even if you can prove that maybe your plan would cause some change, it doesn't matter. fiat is illusory, all that matters is that your in-round discourse distracts us from our responsibility and makes us feel like we've done something by talking about what the state should do.

nayar is commonly used in kap kritiks, he makes a lot of the same args.

it's easy to link to yourself-if you actually want to go with the discourse only stance (which is the only good way to run the arg) you have to commit pretty much from the 1nc. cps, das, even solvency turns-they all link because they all externalize violence. so yes, it is easy to link to yourself. that's why this is a one-off k, or throw in some t and maybe case defense.

If I do this I'd probably run 2 Ts and 2 Ks with Kaps as a back up (and run them discursively). I'm looking for a K that would complement Kaps/Nayar... Global local seems to say almost the same thing.

Yes, Nayar and Kappeler do kind of have similar 'global bad' stances.

But their warrants are so incredibly different.

Kappeler talks alot about the way we assign responsibility and blame for violence, and i think the explanation above has been pretty decent.

but Jayan Nayar makes a much more 'colonialism bad' argument, to warrant out reasons that the Global sucks. I would advise reading some nayar backfiles, specifically the cards talking about hegemony and world influence to really understand her warrants.

I also am wondering other K's that might hypothetically jive with Kaps.

Yes, Nayar and Kappeler do kind of have similar 'global bad' stances.

But their warrants are so incredibly different.

Kappeler talks alot about the way we assign responsibility and blame for violence, and i think the explanation above has been pretty decent.

but Jayan Nayar makes a much more 'colonialism bad' argument, to warrant out reasons that the Global sucks. I would advise reading some nayar backfiles, specifically the cards talking about hegemony and world influence to really understand her warrants.

I also am wondering other K's that might hypothetically jive with Kaps.

Way to revive a thread that's almost a year and a half old?

That being said would something like reading a narrative in the 2ac be responsive at all to Kapeller, or claiming a discursive advantage through a fiated plan?