JMAN

College Judging

I dont know if this is worthwhile to anyone, but I figure it might help. Anyone in college that is willing to be a judge at a tournament could put there name, year, and districts, and contact info. This could help get more qualified judges judging. I know something like this was done last year. If the mods think this is worthless just go ahead and delete it. thanks.

David Holzman

KU Sophomore

EK, TT, Flint Hills

dholzman@ku.edu

• Upvote 1

being that i'm going to be occupied basically every saturday, i respectfully retract my name from this list...i'll still be around some though

Edited by Alman
not really open for judging much anymore

I can flow, trust me. (not debating in college)

I dunno. I've seen you in round. You take notes and talk for 8 minutes. . .

I wouldn't trust you if you were in the back of my room. ;)

I will be in Portland for much of the year, but will probably be back in KS every once in a long while, so here's my info, in the off chance you're hosting a tournament on a weekend I'm around:

Eric Atcheson

Junior, Lewis & Clark College

EK/TT

Email: (my last name) AT (gmail) DOT (com)

A caveat for tournaments hosting a champ division: I'm totally willing to judge champ if that is what you want me doing, but I'm probably not the most qualified critic for it. Jus' sayin'.

I'm willing to judge and/or sponsor etc. at any tournament as long as I have at least 1 and 1/2 weeks notice. I am debating for KU, so that limits my availability. This is my second year out, 4 yrs in high school and my 2nd on the college circuit. contact at my email... <*(mshock@ku.edu)*>. If anyone needs me when there is definitely a college tournament let me know asap. I'm willing to juggle around college and high school tournaments.

Peace,

Shock

I can judge Sunflower and parts of both West and SoKan.

(I debated for 4 years, and will be debating next year)

Beth Pearson

Freshman, Wichita State

eapearson [at] wichita.edu

LOL just kidding. But Shock is clearly saying he would judge a HS tournament if he knew ahead of time to get off from debating at a college tournament that conflicts with the date of the HS tournament.

Sounds like Shock is true to his company motto--what can Brown do for you?

LOL just kidding. But Shock is clearly saying he would judge a HS tournament if he knew ahead of time to get off from debating at a college tournament that conflicts with the date of the HS tournament.

Sounds like Shock is true to his company motto--what can Brown do for you?

you know it. but then again... my brain might have swelled lately and i could be becoming john travolta's character in phenomon. lol just kidding.

Kyle Shernuk

KU, Sophomore

EK, TT, Flint Hills (or whatever happens to be the Lawrence area)

2nd year debating for KU, need advance notice to clear weekends

Also looking to sponsor if someone needs me

kshernuk (at) ku*edu

Tyler Dooley

Fresh Washburn

Yes I flow

Yes I debated champ in HS--nationals appearances blah blah blah no one cares

you could theoretically call me a tab judge--but we all know there really isn't such a thing

--topeka area lawrence area--doesn't matter much

tyler.dooley@gmail.com

Varsity division: This is traditional varsity with critiques prohibited. Counter plans and generics are fine. Always remember to check the judge paradigm sheet prior to the round. No K’s even if your judge wants to pay you to run them.

Freestyle division: Please understand that I truly believe that other names for this division are elitist and divisive. This is my attempt to somehow change the culture of Champ debate. I encourage the entire debate community to join me in this effort. The name freestyle is the most accurate and least elitist I could think of. It also avoids the “old” versus “new” problem of the names contemporary and traditional for the divisions. This is in no way an attempt to insult or belittle the efforts of others. It is just how I really feel about the state of debate in Kansas and this style of debating. Besides, doesn't it sound fun?

Anyway I am pleased with how this community supported our event last year. Thank You! If you wish to judge here this year please PM me. We will need many judges. While I can't pay you I can make sure you have catered food. Our lounge is getting quite expensive and hopefully famous.

Please do not take offense at our labeling of the freestyle event...I am looking to build bridges not pedestals.

Please confirm early as it is easier to get teams if they know the pool is set.

Peace-

Any particular reason why kritiks are explicitly banned in one division and not in another?

yes. if you didn't get the point, he is trying to keep the varsity division the way it was meant to be...policy debate, which would exclude kritiks. the freestyle division is for people willing to debate not just policy but the kritikal and philosophical aspects of plans.

• Downvote 1

I'll be curious to see if this can actually field two sets of teams that are well versed in advanced arguments in the respective styles (policy and kritikal). I won't knock it unless it doesn't work, but I'd be suprised if it does. Why not just make it Open and Varsity/Champ/Freestyle anyway... then the kritikal debaters will sort themselves into your top division without having to make rules?

Incidentally, I think renaming the division has awesome intentions and makes a statement against the elitism associated with some forms of debate, which is something that should be done. But what's in a name? By specifically defining kritiks out of the varsity division, aren't you facilitating the efforts of those who would cast such a division in a 'second class' light?

This is a really interesting idea, and probably deserves its own thread. I was just wondering how those issues lined up with the original idea.

EDIT: After posting this, I went to the ks tournaments forum and realized there already was another thread for this tournament... I'm too lazy to try to move this post, but if either of the mods wants to move it, feel free.