Sign in to follow this  
rs80606

Mainstream Affs

So it's been a while since i've actually even thought about debate. I didn't go to any camps this summer because of my schedule.

But anyway...what are the mainstream affs for this year looking like?

I am going to venture a guess and say that this has been discussed on several different threads but w/e.

Armed Forces:

Draft

Dont Ask Dont Tell

Women in Combat

Then generic increase people in:

Citizen Corps

Learn and Serve America

AmeriCorps

Peace Corps

Old People Corps

Armed Forces:

Critical Draft

DADT

Women In Combat

Coast Guard

Other:

Citizenship

Languages

Peace Corp

Critical Senior Corp

Citizen Corp

is critical senior corps really going to be a big mainstream aff next year. Cuz that kinda makes me laugh, not that i know anything about the aff just the fact that its senior corps

I'm pretty sure that's the prefered term. :)

The only squirelly case I've seen so far was a Salmon Aff

Also: robots and space corps.

Maybe indigenous languages.

hehe robots was so much fun running in camp...

It's a shame it's not topical, it would be a fun case.

Maybe indigenous languages.

Disgusting aff. The only reason I won at camp with it so often was that nobody but top lab had figured out what it said.

Agreed 100%, indigenous languages is a horrible aff.

What would you say are good args against it? I haven't looked into neg for it yet.

• Downvote 1

how is Indigenous languages a bad aff at all...all the language ev is sweet

accesses sweet natives authors, under learn and serve so basically no spec neg lit, surprisingly good LSA spec solvency.

someone inform me how this aff is bad

SDI 3-Week. Put out indigenous languages.

There are lots of arguments. I think, if I was debating against it, I would spend alot of time arguing that the Federal Government is inherently incapable of saving cultures, for any number of reasons.

(1) Federal funding undermines cultural/reservation unity.

(2) Federal funding often goes to waste, it has in the past.

(3) Loss of language is inevitable.

(4) General culture bad arguments.

(5) Maybe a racial polarization argument, just cause they're fun.

(6) CP: (Recolonization?)

(7) Topicality, obviously.

(8) Maybe a States counter plan.....

KU (originated there by none other than Jason Regnier), SDI, and ddi apparently put it out as well

did anyone else find it ironic that jimmy page said it was "100% terrible aff" and proceeded to ask what is a good arg agaist it b/c he hadn't looked at the neg yet...

how is Indigenous languages a bad aff at all...all the language ev is sweet

accesses sweet natives authors, under learn and serve so basically no spec neg lit, surprisingly good LSA spec solvency.

someone inform me how this aff is bad

Because it's patently ridiculous. The impacts to a cultural genocide are far-fetched and irrational. We've already done just about everything we can to wipe out native american culture and it's still there.

It's not our government's job to promote a specific culture.

It's ultimately a waste of money and incredibly impractical. If you spend money teaching kids indigenous languages simply to prevent an alleged genocide, they're not going to remember it, as there are no practical uses. The language will die anyway, and the culture will be wiped out.

There's a reason the culture's dying in the status quo, and the aff fails to address that.

There are no specific solvency advocates (that I've seen) because the plan is so out there.

I literally found myself in my 2AR saying "Their nuclear war impacts are the societal equivelant to a bullet in the head. Our systemic cultural extinction impacts are the equivalent of death by a thousand cuts. Can you really look me in the eye and tell me that you would spare humanity a quick, painless death at the hands of nuclear war, in order to grant it a slow, painful one at the hands of the cultural monoculture of imperialism?" The funny thing is, at least one judge bought it!

States is strong, but I have to warn you: SDI put out a Daniel Akaka elections disad, which isn't terribly effective, but WILL cause you to spend your entire 2NC laughing and therefore lose.

• Upvote 1

at umich we put out an end strength aff

it argues that conscription is inevitable and that the only way to stop this is to raise the end strength to 100,000 and offer educational incentives which WILL raise the amount of people in the army. The best part is, congress just raised the end strength by 40,000 last week which non-uniques every disad. it claims every advantage that the draft would (civil-military-gap, heg, casuality aversion, iraq pullout, north korea containment) the file is 384 pages and pretty bitchin

• Upvote 1

I literally found myself in my 2AR saying "Their nuclear war impacts are the societal equivelant to a bullet in the head. Our systemic cultural extinction impacts are the equivalent of death by a thousand cuts. Can you really look me in the eye and tell me that you would spare humanity a quick, painless death at the hands of nuclear war, in order to grant it a slow, painful one at the hands of the cultural monoculture of imperialism?" The funny thing is, at least one judge bought it!

States is strong, but I have to warn you: SDI put out a Daniel Akaka elections disad, which isn't terribly effective, but WILL cause you to spend your entire 2NC laughing and therefore lose.

you do realize that Kato is money with this aff right

• Downvote 1

Service Learning from Mich...No its not Learn and Serve America its parts of Americorps...

• Downvote 1

did anyone else find it ironic that jimmy page said it was "100% terrible aff" and proceeded to ask what is a good arg agaist it b/c he hadn't looked at the neg yet...

I was wondering what arguments people were planning on running against it. I'll admit that I haven't looked at neg on the case, but that doesn't mean I don't know enough to say that the case is ridiculous.

The problem with the indigenous aff, which I know through and through from having run it, is that any sufficiently intelligent team will figure out a way to knock it out. The States CP is generally good; there is potentially a small solvency deficit--states haven't really worked with tribes that much, thanks to Article 1, Section 8, clause 3 of the United States Constitution, which in addition to being the Commerce Clause that justifies so much modern legislation also grants the USFG what is called "plenary power" to deal with native tribes.

Be careful when running Foucault with the countermemory alternative: in general, the aff IS a countermemory; be careful with colonialism-ish kritiks, since it's fundamentally a decolonization aff; the plan typically doesn't cost a terrible amount of money (in reality, this isn't rhetoric), so forget spending; the general public doesn't care about Native American issues, so a competent aff will point out that it doesn't really link to politics; however, it's vulnerable to T, particularly "increase" and "substantially", if run properly, and of course specs appear to be effective. Plans that I've seen on this topic tend to be rather fluffy, so you could slap them with vagueness, I guess.

The problem with the indigenous aff, which I know through and through from having run it, is that any sufficiently intelligent team will figure out a way to knock it out. The States CP is generally good; there is potentially a small solvency deficit--states haven't really worked with tribes that much, thanks to Article 1, Section 8, clause 3 of the United States Constitution, which in addition to being the Commerce Clause that justifies so much modern legislation also grants the USFG what is called "plenary power" to deal with native tribes.

Be careful when running Foucault with the countermemory alternative: in general, the aff IS a countermemory; be careful with colonialism-ish kritiks, since it's fundamentally a decolonization aff; the plan typically doesn't cost a terrible amount of money (in reality, this isn't rhetoric), so forget spending; the general public doesn't care about Native American issues, so a competent aff will point out that it doesn't really link to politics; however, it's vulnerable to T, particularly "increase" and "substantially", if run properly, and of course specs appear to be effective. Plans that I've seen on this topic tend to be rather fluffy, so you could slap them with vagueness, I guess.

Speaking for Others

Self Determination/Sucessionism Bad

"Tribe" K

Native American CP (Native American tribes do plan)

Sign in to follow this