debategod23

Team's to beat 06-07

just to show why your "analysis" of eric and leah shouldn't be taken seriously...

you say that the list is in order of how good they are

but, the team that won the TOC isn't at the top of the list, and the person who won the TOC as a sophomore is at the bottom

not to mention that none of those exact teams will exist THIS season, prompting the question, who gives a shit?

eric and leah are fucking badasses

Uhh, being part of Team Leah and everything, dude, I think Danny was using sarcasm

This is perhaps the dumbest thread I've ever seen on this website, and that's saying A LOT. Everyone knows that debate is totally predictable, that there are never any surprises, or that I'm sure that whoever TOCMAVEN is, they haven't seen every one of these debaters discussed after the significant changes post-Institute.

But that's almost beside the point The real issue with this thread is the personal tenor of the discussion. Cross-x.com is not a place to say that any particular debater "sucks." Believe it or not, we're not professional athletes who get used to people saying about things in public settings. Real people read this website. Real people get hurt by what you say. Personally, hearing my and James' names bantered around like we're some kind of trophy by people I don't even know is unsettling, to say the least. Stephen and Leah's responses both indicate that the people that you all are treating like racehorses are READING WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. Try going and talking to someone after you told the entire world via the internet that they sucked at debate. And they'll remember who you are. This thread needs to be locked immediately, and TOCMAVEN needs to be IPbanned. This isn't the first time they've written something on the "let's bet on the high school debate racehorse" style post. And frankly, they are or have the potential to be extremely hurtful.

I'm not going to engage on the substance of any of these discussions because I find the whole thing repulsive, except to tell some of you to stop going after Eric and Leah. Speaking as someone in a position to know, they're talented debaters and good people, too. It's offensive that you all feel that you're in a position to judge them in front of the whole world.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think I agree with zach but I honestly didn't read much of this thread. Just enough that I know it makes me wish I had a shot gun. Seriously, their is a whole level of hell waiting for all of you.

• Upvote 1

I think I agree with zach but I honestly didn't read much of this thread. Just enough that I know it makes me wish I had a shot gun. Seriously, their is a whole level of hell waiting for all of you.

Having read this thread, Abe, what makes you think it's WAITING?

Damien's A team next year is Trevor and Andres. And yeah, the camp tournament at Michigan did not represent people's true abilities well at all, so don't be fooled just because they went 3-3.

I'm not sure who the B team is next year, I only know Damien boys that went to Michigan this summer, but it will probably be one of the 2 other 7 weekers from Damien. They are pretty good too. I know I wouldn't want to debate them in late outrounds at any bid tournaments. And seriously people, why do you all hate on the damien boys?

thanks for the info. btw dont think of me as a hater--i just wanted to see who were up against next year here in socal.

TOC - I'll admit that I'm against all ranking of teams in any order except in the order of wins/losses at a specific tournament- I even find it stupid in College Football (Go LIONS!!!!!:) - but I don't even know what IPBanning is??? (I'm kind of a luddite.) I don't think you should be banned for making a list - that's your right. I don't think you should be banned for asking who the community thinks the best team is, and you're right - there are always lists of ins and outs - everyone who hosts a round-robbin knows that - so I don't think you did anything wrong, and I certainly don't think you should be banned for what you posted. I do question, and will continue to question, why ranking teams is something the community seems to delight in..but that's just me. And, yes, I coach for the love of debate, not the love of winning or anything else - I think the level of elitism in our community is shameful. People seem to forget that the educational value of the activity is a lot more important than the quantity of plastic/marble items in the trophy case. H.

I disagree, however, with the rather overreaching sentiments of CatSpatHat and Antonucci23 (about which you, “Heh, fair enough” seemingly agree) that condemns to hell, or that places in their own personal hell, those who are or might be so insecure, and so threatened by not being part of some “list” that they would attack those on the list, rather than simply add new names to a list of their own making. Many people have much to learn (even me, buddy, about Head Royce and Woodlands, for sure), much maturing to do and much social development progress to make in terms of trying to understand HOW to deal with insecurities. Telling people who have those kinds of problems that they are destined for eternal damnation, or that their world is a hell on earth, it seems, neither adds to, nor advances in any useful way, anyone’s progress on the path to enlightenment.

Dude(tte), it was a joke. I really don't care that much. If anyone's seeking the path to enlightenment on cross-x.com, they must be on drugs that haven't even been invented yet.

• Downvote 1

Dude(tte), it was a joke. I really don't care that much. If anyone's seeking the path to enlightenment on cross-x.com, they must be on drugs that haven't even been invented yet.

um....they are on the drugs WE invented at nu this summer, nucci-boy.

• Upvote 1

TOCMAVEN -

Though there have already been some other qualms about your ranking system...here's one more:

In 14 out of the 32 teams that you listed to be in your doubles bracket, you listed only one member of the team. That is ridiculous. I was even being generous in counting due to the way you referred to the individuals/partnerships. It seems that even if this speculation is on-balance good, it should be conducted in a more fair/equal manner. Look at any of the teams that did well consistently last year - none 'made it to the doubles' (to carry on with the frame you established) with only one member of the team being a talented debater. I think that fundamentally excluding 1/2 of the team is both hurtful to the individuals who are excluded and sets a bad example for the rest of the community (ie: when i'm watching x's A team, i should ONLY watch the 1A because the 2A is so much worse. I'm sure that there are many people on this website (me included) that are really good friends with some of the 'unmentioned' partners on the site and don't want to see this happen.

So if you're going to post, post in an equitable way. Don't exclude the partners and don't base a team's success on one individual.

MF

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

TOCMAVEN -

I think that fundamentally excluding 1/2 of the team is both hurtful to the individuals who are excluded and sets a bad example for the rest of the community (ie: when i'm watching x's A team, i should ONLY watch the 1A because the 2A is so much worse. I'm sure that there are many people on this website (me included) that are really good friends with some of the 'unmentioned' partners on the site and don't want to see this happen.

MF

I agree. Kyle Davis is already sensitive about being Jamie-Berk's tool. No need to rub it in.

-Bill

• Upvote 1

yo kevin,

just to clarify that kid who posted at first is my partner. hence my proclamation of him as a genius.

-marxman

yo kevin,

just to clarify that kid who posted at first is my partner. hence my proclamation of him as a genius.

-marxman

nono, i know man - the schools kinda got that point acrosss - i just thought it was funny.

• Upvote 1

figured you weren't that dumb, just wanted to make sure i didnt come off as a superdick just in case..

-2firstnames

p.s. how's space mil good doing?

• Upvote 1

no you cant, no you cant, no you cant, no you cant, no you cant, no you cant

Wrap your plastic crown around these magaziens of love.

You should not just feel bad - You should feel like a jackass.

Drew and Neal are not only good at debate; they are nice people who do not deserve to be insulted and brought down by random idiots on the internet.

Get some class.

You should not just feel bad - You should feel like a jackass.

Drew and Neal are not only good at debate; they are nice people who do not deserve to be insulted and brought down by random idiots on the internet.

Get some class.

qfa

Can this thread go away? It's no longer even pretending to be constructive.

Ok, you heard the women, pack it up or risk broken knees

and Eric is right, Drew and Neal are awesome people and debaters and whoever laughed about them being good (i dont remember who) needs to really think to themselves. that was a beyond rude comment to make and it didnt need to be made