debategod23

Team's to beat 06-07

Top TOC-LEVEL Teams 2006-2007. Here is a DOUBLES BRACKET that any tournament would love, and that many will probably have, as the year goes by...

this is one of the most entertaining cross-x posts I have ever read.

The only team missing from that list, as far as I can tell is Eric and Leah from the Woodlands, who I wouldn't want to face in a bid round, and who I believe could take any team in the country on any given day. Leah is simply the fastest debater I've seen this side of the NDT and Eric is a genius.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• Upvote 2

True that. KinKKKKaid is 30 on the list. Looks like a GREAT YEAR is coming cuz, no doubt New Trier, GBS, and the other teams you mention are all gonna be great, too.

THink you got enough k's there, buddy. Oh and by the way, Head Royce, we WANT it.

You know who isnt on that doubles to die for list and should be? Eric Lanning and Leah Moczulski.

For starters they want it more than anyone. Wait, I apologize, they WANT IT. Eric Lanning and Leah Moczulski are easily the most underrated team on the national circuit. Why, because noone has ever heard of or cared about The Woodlands College Park or The Woodlands for that matter. It is why neither Eric nor Leah were invited to Fellows when peopled that hadn't even qualified for the TOC were. Granted I have no intention to offend anyone (disclaimer) but it seems funny that several of the teams mentioned made the list simply because they want it or that they have been knocking on the door of bid rounds. First, everyone wants it, I want it, my squad wants it, and for that matter, everyone registered to this website wants it. Second, Woodlands A (because we identify by schools, not individuals) has already knocked on the door of bid rounds, opened the door uninvited, went inside, relaxed, took a few sips of Lipton's Green Tea, and picked up.

Their first bid, let's call it "The Break Out Bid" was claimed at the Glenbrooks. Such a prestigious national tournament (props to Tate) is apparently going to be the highlight for many of the top 32 teams in the nation. If I recall correctly, and I do, "Woodlands A" beat The Georgetown Day School BB on Ground Specification. That same GDS team just happened to break at the TOC.

The achievement of the second bid, which for BAMF purposes is known as "The Triumph of Ophuls", was achieved by "Woodlands A" at Colleyville Heritage High School. Here "Woodlands A" beat Sam Shore and Bryant Huang from Greenhill in octos, these folks will be around this year and will definately be successful. Then, "Woodlands A" beat Creekview on the one, the only, the Rights Malthus. Next was semis against Dallas Jesuit OS, the argument was conditionality bad, the decision was a 3-0. Granted this was a semis bid, dare I say harder to get.

To round off the sheer BAMFness (if it isn't a word but it should be) of the co-founders of Team Leah. They have had zero coaches ever, broke at every tournament they attended last year including but not limited to: Grapevine, Greenhill, Memorial, UNT (GO Sykes, Brian, and Calum), The Glenbrooks (more props to Tate), UT, and Colleyville (where legends are made), and TFA State had the most Texas Forensics Association quall points last year, broke first seed at the Texas Forensic Association State Tournament last year, broke second seed at UT, have more blocks for procedurals and theoretical arguments than most do for affirmatives, only dropped 14 rounds all year, and have picked up a ballot against Matt Andrews which is not a situation that many teams will find themselves in on the National Service topic.

Notable teams they've beaten-

GDS BB-broke at the TOC

Dallas Jesuit OS- qualled for the TOC

Kinkaid LP- are awesome, and I am pretty sure quallified for the TOC

Damien EP-"These boys WANT it, and have access to the resources, coaching and travel opportunities to GET it, too."

Round Rock DE- qualled for the TOC (on Subs and Multiple Worlds bad, how cool is that?)

Westwood SS- qualled for the TOC

Westwood HT- Amy Ho is a ninja

Saint Mary's Hall CS- just recently T Cross got 1st at UTNIF plan 1 and 2nd at UTNIF plan 2

Seriously kids spec your A, G, H, I, and role of the ballot. Why? "Woodlands A" doesn't have the coaches, the resources, the backfiles, the positions or the card cutters. What they do have is the travel opportunities (insert Continental Airlines product placement), and they will be at national tournaments. Watch out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The only team missing from that list, as far as I can tell is Eric and Leah from the Woodlands, who I wouldn't want to face in a bid round, and who I believe could take any team in the country on any given day. Leah is simply the fastest debater I've seen this side of the NDT and Eric is a genius.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Way to beat me to the punch, to be fair, it took forever to type my post up.

Way to beat me to the punch, to be fair, it took forever to type my post up.

Yeah, your post was way more in depth than mine, but to be fair, I repped you for it, and we're good to go. ;)

Seriously though, I'm more scared of Eric and Leah than I am of 90% of that list. No joke.

• Upvote 1

dear god, Damien won't do shit next year. I see they have tricked some people into thinking they are as good as they think they are

edit: look out for Gabe Olsen. Good call by TOCMAVEN to see that this kid is really going to make noise this year.

• Downvote 1

Yeah, your post was way more in depth than mine, but to be fair, I repped you for it, and we're good to go. ;)

Seriously though, I'm more scared of Eric and Leah than I am of 90% of that list. No joke.

Honeslty, nothing is more scary than debating a team who would be more than happy to just read conditionality bad for 1 minute in the 2AC and sit down. There is no more effective way to learn how to convince judges that the negative is cheating than to start debating in Texas let alone Houston. I am also 100% sure that Eric could go for 5 minutes of "it isn't what you do, it is what you justify" in the 1AR. Even if cheating has the potential to be good for 13 minutes in the block Eric has and will make conditionality bad outweigh nuclear war, most likely in the form of 8 warrants and 3 independent voters for fairness. Then in the 2AR it is game over.

Honeslty, nothing is more scary than debating a team who would be more than happy to just read conditionality bad for 1 minute in the 2AC and sit down. There is no more effective way to learn how to convince judges that the negative is cheating than start debating in Texas let alone Houston. I am also 100% sure that Eric could go for 5 minutes of "it isn't what you do, it is what you justify" in the 1AR. Even if cheating is good for 13 minutes in the block Eric has and will make it outweigh nuclear war, most likely in the form of 8 warrants and 3 independent voters for fairness. Then in the 2AR it is game over.

Silly Bankey. You don't know me yet. I used to do that shit.

I agree with you.

My favorite round ever? 1NC was a T-Vio.

We sat down.

;)

Incidentally, that game over, is because the Bush Doctrine is Good.

It is a shame that one can only dish out so much positive reputation.

My only question is who is TOC Maven? This person has more information about high school debaters than should be allowed. Is he the admissions officer at Cal? Is she an identity theft expert? Is he an online pedophile trying to lure unsuspecting debaters into compromising positions?

This post as well as their preview of this year's enetering college debaters was far too accurate (despite the few oversights). The only person who knows THIS many people and the minutiae of their debate lives, I thought, was Doug D. But Doug would talk smack and let people know it was him,

So who is TOC Maven?

Why do people do this? What causes us to post lists of who the best teams will be. It's my experience that any team of two skilled individuals can beat any other team of two skilled individuals on any given day - all lists like this do are breed resentment and elitism. H.

I'm actually kind of with you on the damien question. They lost Josh Clark. They went 3-3 at Michigan, seems kind of, well, Um....

I hope that was sarcasm because I do not think that tournament was a fair representation of a lot peoples abilities. The Damien guys will do great next year, assuming some of the time spent wrestling / raving translates into debate work.

Discrediting a compliment of someone is ridiculously rude, uncalled for, and immature.

Not meant to be rude at all, it was more a thought as to the remainder of the list. But point taken, it's been edited, and if you'd do the same that would rock.

• Downvote 1

5. Hootch A. Ovais and partner will miss Rajat’s mad card-cutting skills, but still Hootch carries a wallop and this team might be the best balanced of the top 5. Besides, with the size of the Hootch squad, despite the loss of Rajat, they will not be out-researched even by the Heidtster.

god, its Hooch, there is no T in Hooch and hahaha Rajat cutting cards...thats a good one

and I second everything Bankey said...Woodlands LM should be watched out for...they are vicious

Yes actually. I google my own name every 30 minutes because I'm extremely self-concious.

its true...ive seen him do it

i dunno about self-concious, try cause he loves the cyber-beej

Denver East A. Think I’m joking? Look at the NFL’s last year and deep, deep into the tournament you will find Will and Alex. They’ll be back, and this year will smack some poor unsuspecting TOC types in some major elim rounds.

Alex graduated. Will will be debating with someone else.

26. Calhoun A. Just when you thought the old-line mainstream programs were drying up and going away, along comes Mr. Bearden and resurrects the Calhoun debate dynasty. Sara Beth was one of last year’s most underrated debaters, and next year watch for Calhoun to jump up and be great once more. Adding a new policy coach who is no slouch as a strategist, Calhoun may not reach its former heights (wins at the Barkley Forum, for example), but just look for Calhoun to return to Kentucky come Derby Day 2007, and many years thereafter

word up to that. dana higgins is my hero.

Other teams that will do well even if they aren't "The Top Level TOC Teams to beat".

Jenks MS

Booker T Washington CK

Westwood A

Yorktown A

St. Mary's Hall A (CS?)

Westlake JM

Hooch B