JustACoach

Final Five resolutions for 2007-08

Against my better judgement I am posting a link to the blog Stefan Bauschard is hosting regarding the 2007-08 high school topic meeting. There appears to be eight topic areas, all of which are international in nature. Here is the link: http://www.planetdebate.com/cxguide/cxguide_blogs.asp?mode=15

I'm still wishing there would be public notice of these meetings. And I am assuming that it is being held in Arkansas since dinner is at the Clinton Presidential Library...

These are the seven topic areas that will go to the wording committee. The wording committee will use these wordings as guidelines, and will come down to one resolution per area.

Five will be selected from this list to go to voters:

1. Africa

The USFG should substantially increase its public health assistance to Sub-Saharan Africa.

2. Globalization

a. The USFG should establish a policy liberalizing international trade in agriculture

b. The United States federal government should establish a policy (substantially) increasing trade between the United States and one or more of the following (list to be limited, maybe): Iran, Syria, North Korea, Venezuela, Cuba. (Will probably exclude Cuba due to concerns related to debating this in Florida). Need to check on solvency evidence for Venezuela.

3. Latin America (the presenter here: Jeff Stutzman of Indiana, prefers the “economic freedom” topic, yet the paper did not define the whole term “economic freedom” – is there a good definition for this contextual phrase. Questions: Doesn’t the Bush administration now do its utmost to promote “economic freedom” in Latin America if that means lowering trade barriers and increasing the range of action of private corporations? If so, where is the inherency?

a. Resolved: The United States federal government should increase its economic assistance to one or more countries in Latin America.

b. Resolved: The United States federal government should establish an economic policy to substantially increase market liberalization in Latin America.

c. Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its support of economic freedom in Latin America.

d. Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially change its economic policy to one or more of the following countries: Argentina, Brazil, Cuba, Mexico, Chile, Venezuela.

4. Water

a. The United States federal government should establish a foreign policy substantially increasing its support for water resources management in Africa and/or the Middle East.

The possibility of adding Asia is included.

5. International Women’s Rights

Trying to narrow it down. Wording very rough. Increasing women’s economic (or a different type of) rights in a geographic area (like Middle East)

6. Pandemics

a. The United States Federal Government should establish a foreign policy substantially decreasing the virulence of a human pandemic.

7. Central Asia

a. Resolved: Resolved: That the United States federal government should substantially change its foreign policy towards one or more of the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.

b. Should substantially increase development assistance towards one or more of the following nations: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.

I was originally really opposed to the water topic, but i actually think it can be really interesting.

I found this article on the subject to be really useful to the array of problems and solutions surrounding water:

http://www.akdeniz.edu.tr/muhfak/publications/gap.html#Way

Courtesy of Stefan Bauschard via eDebate:

Slate of 7 resolutions

*These must be cut down to five tomorrow.*

1. International Women's Economic Rights: Resolved: The United States

federal government should establish a foreign policy substantially

increasing its support of women's economic rights.

2. Pandemics: Resolved: The United States federal government should

establish a foreign policy substantially increasing public health

services for pandemic disease prevention.

3. International Water Shortages: Resolved: The United States federal

government should establish a foreign policy substantially increasing

its support for water resources management in Africa and/or the Middle

East.

4. Latin America: Resolved: The United States federal government should

substantially increase its economic assistance to one or more countries

in Latin America.

5. Globalization: Resolved: The United States federal government should

establish a foreign policy increasing trade with one or more of the

following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria.

6. Poverty in Africa: Resolved: The United States federal government

should substantially increase its public health assistance to

Sub-Saharan Africa.

7. Central Asia: Resolved: The United States federal government should

substantially increase its foreign assistance to one or more of the

following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan,

Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.

The five resolutions we will vote on for 2007-08 From Planet Debate and Stefan Bauschard's blog...

2. Pandemics: Resolved: The United States federal government should establish a foreign policy substantially increasing public health services for pandemic disease prevention.

3. International Water Shortages: Resolved: The United States federal government should establish a foreign policy substantially increasing its support for water resources management in Africa and/or the Middle East.

5. Globalization: Resolved: The United States federal government should establish a foreign policy increasing trade with one or more of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria.

6. Poverty in Africa: Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its public health assistance to Sub-Saharan Africa.

7. Central Asia: Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its foreign assistance to one or more of the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.

That may be, but none of the students that are in high school debate as of next year will have been in the activity during even one of those two topics. Though it may be a rehash for coaches doesn't mean that it couldn't be fun for the students. If anything it would be better to have a bit of prior knowledge on some of the subjects that would be discussed under it. In the end it seems, at least to me, that central asia would be the most interesting of the topics.

That may be, but none of the students that are in high school debate as of next year will have been in the activity during even one of those two topics. Though it may be a rehash for coaches doesn't mean that it couldn't be fun for the students. If anything it would be better to have a bit of prior knowledge on some of the subjects that would be discussed under it. In the end it seems, at least to me, that central asia would be the most interesting of the topics.

You obviously haven't read any of the water literature. But that topic is WAY too large.

I'm more than willing to answer any questions that anyone has about the water shortages topic. I authored the paper and love the water debate. I also defended the paper in Little Rock.

I was also in most of the general meetings and will try to answer any questions that anyone has about the process or why certain wordings were chosen. Stefan's blog at planetdebate.com is certainly a good place to start if you're more interested in the choices that were made for each paper.

Matthew Murrell

Director, Speech & Debate

McNeil High School

Austin, Texas

I think pandemics would be an interesting topic.

Latin America would be my second pick.

Globalization would be my third, although the case list seems rather limited.

• Downvote 1

What is so interesting about water?

Ashley,

You can find the topic paper at Stefan's blog on planetdebate, which is available in PDF form here: http://www.planetdebate.com/topic_details.asp?I=1587

It's 40 pages (the formatting problem was not my doing), and it's over 100 hours of research. The paper explains why water is interesting, and that's a good place to start if you would like your question answered.

Murrell

Globalization, Central Asia, Pandemics, Water Shortages, Africa

For me at least.

Edit: Synergy, don't look at me like that when I'm being a lazy mod.

I would like to see either Globalization or Central Asia, Seeing as how Globalization is a great debateable topic and I know nothing about Central Asia and would like to learn.

All the others sound silly though.

That link isn't working for me. Is it available elsewhere?
I just tried the link, and it works fine (you have to click on the "Get .pdf" link to download the paper). If you continue to have difficulty, email me and I'll send it to you...

Nobody can say I'm not thorough:

Water Topics Paper

Pandemics Topic Paper

Globalization Topic Paper

Central Asia/Caucasus Topic Paper

Africa Topic Paper

Note: You will need to click on the "Get .pdf" link to download the papers, and you will need Adobe Reader or some other .pdf-reading software to view them...