hdmhuSMN

How do you flow?

Is what the common trend?

I'm pretty sure there's only two ways, paper horizontal and paper vertical.

Haha, sorry. I suppose I was a little vague there. Is everyone essentially flowing in a different manner the common trend? And believe me, I've seen more than horizontal v. vertical.

Ive decided I like regular copy paper but in colors so it is easier to find. I flow all of the oncase on one paper and then off case on their own pages. Using colored paper works the best cause If you use white paper for your evidence, then it gets lost easily.

Time out- you flow all case arguments (I,H,S, Adv.) on one piece of paper?

OK, it depends. Most of the time, I don't need that much paper; 1ACs tend to include a lot of the same cards, so I can mark just "Kh95gwar" for "Khalilzad 95 card that says heg prevents global war" or "C/G5-4yr draft" for "Carter and Glastris 05, require all applicants to 4-year universities to enter national service" and go on. If there's anything off-the-wall, I tend to use a new paper. It's complex, but works.

Ummm, well on aff I have the aff preflowed on legal size paper, one piece of paper for each observation... and on neg I flow as little as possible as the 1NC. My 2N flows all off case on separate pieces of paper and case on seperate too I think... oh and vertically

Not regular printer paper, but hte long kind, one for case (flow on the back if i need 2). Then one for each of case. If i know its going to be a one off debate then i will flow each 'subpoint' framework, alt, impact, link. each gets its own sheet. But if im just watchin, a flow on my laptop.

Yeah man, flowing is for tools.

That said, I flow on plain legal paper, with as much space as possible in between args. I usually put three args (during the initial shell and the 2AC) on each side with legal, two with copy, so I have enough room to flow the block while they fourteen point everything.

I've always used plain legal paper - Inherency/Plan on one sheet, Advantages get their own, solvency gets its own, and Off-case gets their own.

I remember during my entire time @ camp, and 9/10 rounds last season, I didn't flow Inherency and just flowed plan on the Solvency sheet and never had an issue. Why kill a tree over Inherency?

like this:

25k37mu.jpg

actual flow from outround debate when dreg made me take a disad in the 1nr he was supposed to take in the 2nc. damn slow ass motherfucker.

or like this:

25k3ams.jpg

i basically use any kind of paper i could find/had available. anything from one-sided handouts found in the classroom, paper borrowed from the other team, the backs of old files, etc. vertical, blah blah blah.

everyone flows differently. it's standard issue.

I've personally seen too many methods to count. Is this the common trend? How do you flow?

very well, thanks for asking.

Small-size legal paper, vertical, one for on-case, one each for off. Sometimes, just flow two T's on the same sheet, divide it in half. Usually, though, I don't take up the full paper across or down, and my flow ends up getting very crowded. But I like it that way.

(When I was a 1N, I didnt bother _flowing_ off-case in those rounds - just write down 2AC responses to your speech, and go off notes, sort of. Thank [insert deity] I went back to 1A/2N.)

i use excel with the color coded columns. i have one sheet for oncase, and a sheet for every off case arg.

pretty simple

I'm curious as to how the people who say they flow oncase onto just one sheet of paper manage to do it without either writing super small or only flowing tags.

But my handwriting is also pretty damn big. So maybe that is just me.

I'm also curious if people have noticed any differences in the way they flow when they're judging/observing versus when they're competing. I've noticed as a judge that I am a lot more scrupulous about flowing all the warrants contained within a card, if only because I can no longer ask for the card during CX...

Black pen for aff, blue pen for neg.

Or you can go purple/green though i think the green can get tough to read.

hmm.

Then there's red for responses on the flow--this is really helpful if you're a messy flower and have to do a reallllly fast 1ar with like 6 off case and I, S, Adv. 1, 2, 3. Yeah.

All of case and oncase on one sheet, with a sheep for CP's and DA's.

Flowing on sheep? I'll have to try that some time. :)

I prefer flowing with one pen so that it's easier to write my own arguments during other speeches. I use regular sized cardstock, vertical of course....

Is what the common trend?

I'm pretty sure there's only two ways, paper horizontal and paper vertical.

paper vertical left->right

paper vertical right->left.

paper horizontal left->right

paper horizontal right->left.