Destiny

Coast Guard AFF

i think a good advantage you could claim is disaster relief. If I remember correctly, the coast gaurd played a huge part in the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

enviroment destruction (single hull tankers)

What's the story here? Coast Guard cleans up after single hull tanker spills? Or Coast Guard forces ships to upgrade to double hull?

Plan: Increase number of people in the US Coast Gaurd.

Overly simplistic, but that'd probably be the gist of most plans

That's not a plan.

Most plans will probly increase funding for specific programs in the Coast Guard, or maybe even the Coast Guard in general.

Some other potential advantages:

*Coast Guard strength is key to protection of Liquid Natural Gas (LNG.) Impacts range from energy collapse to terrorism.

*Coast Guard strength is key to resolving disputes in Southeast Asia. These impacts are widely redundant, but impressive.

*If you can win the internals to a collapse, you can access viable impact areas like proliferation.

That's not a plan.

Most plans will probly increase funding for specific programs in the Coast Guard, or maybe even the Coast Guard in general.

sure it is...but it begs for a vaugeness violation to be run against it

The Coast Guard also has some sort of jurisdiction over ballast water, too.

God, we ran that aff my freshman year.

It sucked. Badly.

is the coast guard part of the armed services, or department of transportation?

It's Armed Forces, under the jurisdiction of the Dept. of Homeland Security.

I don't know if that's true...(Jimmy Page)

I think that coast guard could be a great affirmative on this topic. People ran it on last year's topic, but most of their advantages will be solved better on this topic because of the ability to solve overstretch.

I don't know if that's true...(Jimmy Page)

I haven't looked into it - I know our plan was some ridiculous government mandate that required all ports to have ballast changing stations or some such. People ran a coastguard da on us a few times (cg is understaffed, forcing them to do things like this is bad because it stretches them too thin or something), but I don't know how well it linked... we only won ~4-5 rounds the whole year.

Well I think if you just fund the coast guard, you would be topical and have access to some great advantages. something i would definitely consider for next years topic.

mich- 7 week is putting out a coast guard aff that offers incentives for recruitment and also increases funding...it looks to be pretty solid.

Minus the part where it's non-inherent. The Government Acountability Office just put out a report that says the Coast Guard is completely staffed and doing quite well.

• Downvote 1

a good reseracher and debater might be able to find evidence to the contrary. They might also be able to understand why the government wants to paint a pretty picture of the coast guard so as to save money...

Minus the part where it's non-inherent. The Government Acountability Office just put out a report that says the Coast Guard is completely staffed and doing quite well.

teh government also, for a long time, denied what was gong on at gitmo. Wich can only mean one thing: ther government always tells us the truth. Oh yeah they also said 100,000 troops would be enough for an entire overseas war...that worked out well for them didn't it? point being, who cares if the government released a document saying the CG is fin, their biased. What is the government going to say, " yeah, i'm not gunna lie (for once) to you guys, the coast gaurd really does suck right now." i would love to hear that but it own't happen.

minus the part that affirmatives can claim a funding as a pure reason to support the affirmative. Also, that isn't true, the CG is recalling back all the people the just let go...there is an abundance of lit. saying that the reason the CG can't stop terrorism is because they ARE understaffed. ONly a risk of inherency means aff wins that debate.