zetazeroes

interviewing experts and cutting cards.

what is the proper way to use evidence that i have gotten through an email interview with an expert?

keep in mind that the interview will be via email -- there will be a full copy of the ALL the communications posted.

also, i have informed him of the background, a little bit about debate, and that we will be using this evidence and it will be accesbile to everyone on this website. do i have to do anything else?

While I understand that N.F.L. rules officially only apply at N.F.L. District and National tournaments, they are widely accepted within the community. Their rules on evidence include this: "Personal letters or telegrams shall not be admissable as evidence." I don't think putting such material up on a blog or on this website counts as "publishing" it. The problem most people would have is that we'd have to take the poster's word for the authenticity of the document being posted...

but that is a criticism equally applicable to almost all evidence -- at least on cross-x i am submitting my evidence for peer review. In a round its a lot harder to verify my sources. ALso, If i provide an email adress where this individual can be contacted, it would be a hell of a lot easier to contact them than say something written by Agamben, or whatever random ass author i can find. Lexington does this, so i dont really understand why i shouldnt be able too.

on a side note: do you think most judgesx would be biased against this type of evidence. Would i have an obligation to tell them?

If you post it online then it is published, especially if it's published in such a way that the public has access to it (like putting it on cross-x). Some judges won't let you use it, but a lot will be cool with it. A lot of the time it won't be an issue.

If you post it online then it is published, especially if it's published in such a way that the public has access to it (like putting it on cross-x).
Nope. Message boards and (most) blogs aren't "publications." If your source had her/his OWN blog site, MAYBE, but just typing a bunch of words onto a website yourself and asking the community to accept that the source spoke with you/wrote to you doesn't make it verifiable evidence...

Perhaps a way around this is to have the author publish the article from their end, then you'd essentially just be cutting their website, something I doubt is a problem for most people. Though if I were to hit you in a round I probably wouldn't be doubting the evidence simply by the way you gathered it, but trying to argue against its warrants.

Well, I would probably take most peoples' word for it. It would be rather silly for debate to have a standard of evidence so high that we aren't allowed to ask relevant questions of authorities unless they publish their response. I suppose it would depend on whether there was a good reason to have suspicions about its authenticity.

By the way Shu, that's the first time I've ever seen the words "blog" and "telegram" in the same paragraph. I'm not quite sure what that makes you...

By the way Shu, that's the first time I've ever seen the words "blog" and "telegram" in the same paragraph. I'm not quite sure what that makes you...
Groundbreaking? ;)