Debate is life

Novices Flowing

Okay, so I am senior and know how to flow. My only problem is teaching novices and second years why it is important to flow. If anyone could give me any advice as to how to teach them to flow and why it is important I would greatly appreciate it. I know how to flow but I am not really sure how to explain it and it's importance to them.

Show example of how you flow, explain it part by part.

First you summarize the tag line, then the authors last name, then the year.

Then go over possible abbreviations.

Then about how each argument is flown on a different sheet of paper, each speech is in a colum to the right of the last one (the block can be flown as one speech).

Then how you draw lines and such.

Pretty much just talk about how you flow and how there are slightly different ways they can do it. Make sure to have them practice and evaluate their flows.

I was never perfect with my flowing when I debated, however, I did know the right way to do it. Many people prefer to flow with their paper landscape (long ways) and divide it into eight different parts, one for each speech and have a different sheet of flow paper for every argument. Learn to abbreviate things also. It is usually safe to leave out little words like "the", "are", "is". Writing small also helps to conserve space. As for the importance of flowing, well, it helps you know what is going on in the round. Just because you can take their stuff and look at it doesn't mean you are ready. The flows are their to remind you have what the material is. For novices, I would recomend flowing with the paper landscape divided into different sections with the argument name at the top of the page, a different color of pen for each team, and extra paper within quick reach incase they run something extra. In novice, I rarely see a case where the authors or dates mattter since it is all washed down and preset, but it is still a good habit to get into (the habit being able to get the author and date). But novices, dont flow the whole tag, just enough to let you know what it is about, and if you want to save some space where you can write specific notes about the card. Good flowing habits come in handy in the JV and Varsity levels.

insane clown posse sucks

What does that have to do with anything?

But that's true about IVs and RVIs. Whenever you hit a voter in round you should always distinguish it on your flow in some way. Circle it, underline it, whatever, just make sure it's something that you hit on your next speech.

Best way to show a novice the importance of flowing: Have a team (expierenced) debate them. Tell novices not to flow. Tell expierenced team to spread. That'll teach em.