TheScuSpeaks

vegetarians/vegans in debate

are you a vegetarian/vegan? How long have you been one? How long have you been debating (at what levels)?

Do you consider yourself a critical debater, a policy debater, hybrid, or other?

Lets see...im a vegetarian, been one my whole life (its a family thing) went vegan for a month, but realized i couldnt do it. I've only debated the past year, but the level thing was weird (my local league i moved from novice to jv to varsity, but probably belong somewhere along jv). As for style...i did traditional policy last year, this year im going to try critical, so maybe im a hybrid of sorts?

Just curious, are you doing a study or something? Whats the info for?

• Upvote 1

I'm a vegetarian, I have been for about 2.5 years and next year will be my fourth in debate (one year of novices, varsity all the others). I consider myself largely a K debater, but maybe somewhat of a hybrid.

• Upvote 1

Lets see...im a vegetarian, been one my whole life (its a family thing) went vegan for a month, but realized i couldnt do it. I've only debated the past year, but the level thing was weird (my local league i moved from novice to jv to varsity, but probably belong somewhere along jv). As for style...i did traditional policy last year, this year im going to try critical, so maybe im a hybrid of sorts?

Just curious, are you doing a study or something? Whats the info for?

I'm wondering if there is any connection between being a vegetarian in debate and what type of debate you do.

thanks for answering.

• Upvote 1

i was a vegan for a half of a year and a vegetarian for a year in high school. i was a critical debater but i preferred to call myself a hybrid debater.

i then started eating free range meat and fish. i still do but i am mostly an animal now. i still don't eat pigs (except for the occasional pepperoni on pizza mm!)

I have been a vegatarian for the past three years although in the last couple of months I've been eating the occassional fish. Prior to that, I'd never been particularly compelled to eat meat, so my motives for vegetarianism aren't completely political. I suppose that I am something of a hybrid debater although I tend to lean towards the critical side. I debated for four years, primarily at the varsity level - my state didn't offer very many tournaments with divisions. This is an interesting question that you have posed, the scu.

• Upvote 1

i've been a vegan for a year now. i've been debating for 2 years, the first year in novice/jv and the second in varsity. i orefer the k but i would call myself a hybrid debater.

• Upvote 1

i was a vegan for a half of a year and a vegetarian for a year in high school. i was a critical debater but i preferred to call myself a hybrid debater.

i then started eating free range meat and fish. i still do but i am mostly an animal now. i still don't eat pigs (except for the occasional pepperoni on pizza mm!)

oh i forgot

novice sophomore year jv for a month or two junior year and then open

I'm a baby vegetarian (I've been veggie since May this year). Next year is my third year of debate, second year of varsity. I'd consider myself somewhere between critical and hybrid. Probably moving more towards the critical side.

My debate partner is a vegan, I'm not sure for how long now. She's pretty much the reason I'm vegetarian, but I knew her before we debated, so I'm not sure how much of a correlation there is there. I think debate had some influence on me, at least in putting me in eating situations with lots of vegetarians.

its funny my partner is a major veggie and i eat more steak than anyone else on my team........i consider myself a traditional policy debater

I've been a vegetarian for a year. I did a year of novice, came back from camp, became a vegetarian, did a year of JV and Varsity, and am about to do two more years of Varsity. There's definitely a correlation for me in terms of being involved in debate and becoming a vegetarian. I was policy-oriented my first two years, but after camp this summer, I would consider myself a hybrid.

i was a vegetarian for a little over a year, and ive been a vegan for the last 4 months or so. this will be my fourth year debating and i consider my self a critique debater, but that doesnt preclude my running of other arguments. most of the time though, i prefer to run critiques, simply because i prefer to read philosophical literature, rather than political literature.

I find the assertion that there are more vegetarians/vegans at camp interesting. I found, in my (granted, limited) camp experience that I met only one philosophically vegetarian person--there were other vegetarians, to be sure, but they were all vegetarians because they came from very serious Hindu families.

i'm in the process of becoming a vegetarian, from which i hope to become a vegan. As far as debate goes, i see myself as a hybrid more than anything, though i like kritikal literature more than political literature.

• Upvote 1

I've been a vegetarian with my sister for about 3 years, debated for 4 in high school and going into it in college.

We debate hybrid, I guess, although we both became vegetarians because of critical literature from the marine natural resource high school topic.