SHSDB84EVER

Critical Draft

I've heard the one about the all volunteer military being exclusively directed towards the lower economic classes. I didn't really look to see where the aff went after that. Anyone care to enlighten me about that one? What different versions of this aff has everyone heard of?

I've heard the one about the all volunteer military being exclusively directed towards the lower economic classes. I didn't really look to see where the aff went after that. Anyone care to enlighten me about that one? What different versions of this aff has everyone heard of?

.. wait, so the lower class has their own army that can go around stamping out the "aristocrats"? kinda like Shay's Rebellion or the French Revolution, but with an actual army?

I don't know what sort of "kritikal" advantage such an aff would gain you either, aside from maybe someone trying to claim that a "revolution will happen".

If my interpretation of what you're saying is right, I think this aff sounds a tad bit iffy..

some say that the draft now would bring back vietnam-era anti-war protest. there is evidence saying that a draft would force the united states to withdrawal from iraq and stop their military adventurism.

some say that the draft now would bring back vietnam-era anti-war protest. there is evidence saying that a draft would force the united states to withdrawal from iraq and stop their military adventurism.

Oh, I see what you mean.

I'll take my former comment back then. But that sounds like an interesting affirmative.

SA

hillman as per idaho state. i honestly can't explain it because i don't know what it says other than its an affirmative of war as the recognition of the impossibility of "peace" of the psyche.

Carl Jungs theory per se of the psychoanalysis structure would put the minds of a forced volunteerism to question....hence the contradiction of FORCED Volunteerism...the belief that one has the ability to choose his or her own destiny through the structure and identity of self contradicts the norms of the elemntal psyche...

in other words...

the draft is a total contradiction of what it means to be human and is a direct development into a "slave drive" mentality

Have any camps come out with non-kritikal negs of this? I'd be interested to see what people plan on running against it.

Alderete/Randall lab at MNDI put out one. Claims to solve for equality and military adventurism. Military adventurism decreases because if everyone's drafted, including that congressman's son, then there'd be less wars. We had two scenarios. One, iraq withdrawal. Two, no iran invasion.

how is that any different from what goes on now?

how is that any different from what goes on now?

It's not - that's what SHS meant. We currently have an all-volunteer military.

There was one put out by UNT that claimed to solve militarism (sp) through the backlash that would be created by the draft. So, they draft the everyone into the military, and then oppose it and try to deconstruct it.

Draft:

Adv:

Heg:

1. overstrech - pretty clear that the draft would end that.

2. adventurism - the current volunteer army is seperated from civilian society we need the draft to combine the civilian world and military world which checks the prez power to go to war (our democracy won't fight trully unpopular wars if the people can impose their will on an elected leader <- the theory).

3. Civilian control - kind of the same idea as above, a divided society of civilians and military destroys effectiveness.

Racism:

the draft would make everyone serve, egalitarian, so it's not racist, bridges the gap between cultures and classes. KEEP IN MIND! this draft is not like the VietN. draft, the difference is that in that draft certain people were exempt from serving, this draft = everyone serves bitches.

Terrorism: Pretty obvious.

There are some other ADV but those are the main ones.

I hope that cleared some confusion up.

The Classic Alderete-Gottbreht put this aff out and it is hella sweet.

The adv. includes military adventurism, readiness, racism, and civil-military gap.

adventurism is stopped because of higher class being drafted, decreasing the possibility of unneccesary wars.

readiness because it increases numbers

racism because currently the gov't allows white racist gangs in the military, and there is an economic draft, that targets the lower class, and that minorities are over represented in the current AVF.

civil-military gap because the civilians will control the military now.

withdrawal from iraq and equality (not just racial but particulary, with the way current recruiting practices operate, economic) can also be claimed as advantages.

There was one put out by UNT that claimed to solve militarism (sp) through the backlash that would be created by the draft. So, they draft the everyone into the military, and then oppose it and try to deconstruct it.

I saw that, it was really interesting, but I haven't thought about claiming militarism as an adv. yet. Is that any good? There's some really good stuff about the draft wouuld create peace movements though. Also there's really good "work within the system" is the best cards, so it works well against militarism/imperialism/etc.

I'm claiming the equality/racism and military adventurism with iraq withdraw and iran pre-empt prevention right now.

What would people on the neg run against this form of the draft?

I would probably try to turn every advantage. Against racism, draft equals slavery and oppression and maintains U.S. hegemony, which supports racist regimes abroad. Against adventurism, draft equals intervention. Against Iran, draft equals Iran strikes. I'm not sure how you run Iraq, so I'm not sure how I would respond.

Have any camps come out with non-kritikal negs of this? I'd be interested to see what people plan on running against it.

PM me and I can give you some cards.

Yeah, thats kinda like one of the ones put out over here. It said that if a draft were to happen, there would be a massive backlash causing a peace movement.