JustinP

Camp Affs list

Hey folks. Camp season is starting sometime this week or next, so here it is: the Camp Aff list. Post what Aff's your camp is working on and what camp it is. Also, if anyone has any advance intel, go ahead.

IF YOU ARE POSTING AFF's: If you have any knowledge about the plan beyond its case area, please, please, PLEASE post it. "Americorps" is nowhere near as helpful as "Increase Americorps participant living stipends". To anyone who has posted so far, any additional information you have regarding the way the case actually works would be nice. Thanks to all.

happy hunting

Ok, so what we have so far:

UTNIF- Don't Ask Don't Tell, Increase Peace Corps Funding, Women in Combat

Emory- Peace Corps , Draft , Shorten Enlistment

JDI- Draft

University of Miami- Shorten Enlistment

TSDC- DADT, Draft

Evazon- Coast Guard

WNDI- Mandatory Service (across the board), Peace Corps, Citizen Corps (???), Armed Forces (Not Draft), Draft, DADT, Learn and Serve, Americorps, Senior Corps.

JEDI- DADT, Peace Corps, Americorps

KNDI- TIPS, Women in Military

Wake Forest- Across the Board Service, DADT, Peace Corps (sustainable development, soft power, AIDS), Military Recruiting, Americorps.

UMICH- DADT, Women in Combat, Peace Corps, Military Recruitment, Coast Guard, XCorp (WTF????), Draft, Linguists

Miami- DADT, Citizenship, Draft, Citizen Corps, Peace Corps, Short Enlistments

Keep Posting

I don't go to camp for 2 more weeks, but i had an idea about peace corps and democracy promotion in Sub-Saharan Africa, specifically Nigeria. I just thought that b/c that area is so poor, that effective democracies would help their economies and maybe stop like some african terrorist groups or sumthing

had that idea as well.

i have a feeling that the draft will be a popular starter aff, and i've had some hear say that that is JDI's starter aff....

emory put out there starter aff and i'm pretty sure it included peace corps and citizen soilders

had that idea as well.

i have a feeling that the draft will be a popular starter aff, and i've had some hear say that that is JDI's starter aff....

By any means don't take this personally, but DUH!! This has got the most literature, and the best solvency for the biggest mpx. The only problem is that the case neg to it is so far in depth and bredth, the draft has way too many holes in it. I like the idea, but it will be the most well known aff around the country, regardless specific tendencies of certain state or regional circuits. I think that any decent negative team will rip this aff to pieces. But then again, there is not going to be a whole lot of affs that aren't going to be suseptible to multiple good negative strategies

• Downvote 1

I'm sure that there will be several high quality, good teams running Draft on the national circuit. I know that GBS had at least one varsity team running PATRIOT act as late as Berkeley this year... and they were a pretty good team. So don't discount draft quite yet.

University of Miami put out a "Citizen Soilder" Aff that increases partcipation in the armed services by having enlistment at fifteen months rather then three years.

Does anybody have any good ideas for critical affs other than DADT or Feminism (ie women can fight in combat)

I'm sure that there will be several high quality, good teams running Draft on the national circuit. I know that GBS had at least one varsity team running PATRIOT act as late as Berkeley this year... and they were a pretty good team. So don't discount draft quite yet.

See, I was referring to only on the Oklahoma circuit, b/c i can see how youre right nationally. Oklahoma debate has gone down the drain with the exception of a few good teams near tulsa and a couple good teams here in Edmond

Ok, so what we have so far:

UTNIF- Don't Ask Don't Tell

Emory- Peace Corps (?), Draft (?)

JDI- Draft

University of Miami- Shorten Enlistment

emory did put out peace corps and citizen soilder- similar plan text that university of miami put out

Sorry, but what's TSDC?

i believe its Texas Speech and Debate Camp

draft affs will be popular in camps but i doubt they'll be used afterward

That's what people said about Gitmo this last year...and often they were right, but for the few that kept it up, it was one of the best affs.

man, i ran agamben on aff and neg this year, tell me more about this aff that TSDC put out

how is that possible. wouldnt your aff link to agamben....

man, i ran agamben on aff and neg this year, tell me more about this aff that TSDC put out

They haven't actually put it out yet, it's just one that they are going to put out at camp. It's one of thier starter affs. I believe Kenny from Baylor wrote it/is writing it.

how is that possible. wouldnt your aff link to agamben....

I've seen several agamben affs this last year. Often they argued either that the aff was a metaphorical condensation of the biolpolitical government baddness and that they deconstructed it or something, or that the aff would lead to losing the war on terror, which would be good (insert agamben cards).

these are the aff's in progress for the whitman national debate institute:

http://www.whitman.edu/rhetoric/camp/index.htm

Peter Campbell- mandatory service (across the board, not just armed forces)

Kara Borden - peace corps

Andrew Stokes - citizen corps

Naveen Ramachandrappa -Armed forces (avoid overlap with dana)

Dana Randall – draft (avoid overlap with dana)

Meghan Hughes – increase gays/lesbians—don’t ask, don’t tell

Ben Meiches – Learn and Serve America

Jeff Buntin - americorps

Mike Meredith - senior corps

Ross Richendrfer – Novice Americorps and Draft

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far. I added a little note up top on the first post: if anyone has posted an aff's name, but knows more about it (IE plan mechanism, etc.) please post that.

Thanks,

--Justin

I've seen several agamben affs this last year. Often they argued either that the aff was a metaphorical condensation of the biolpolitical government baddness and that they deconstructed it or something, or that the aff would lead to losing the war on terror, which would be good (insert agamben cards).

I know for sure that Agamben's argument is simply "losing the War on Terrorism good". There's been a good discussion lately on the K forum regarding Agamben, so you should check that out for more specific analysis. The Zizek metaphorical condensation argument used in affs on the civil liberties topic just stated that the aff uses the case as an initiation point to make counter-demands on the state, and some teams claimed that they ruptured the system of biopolitics through those demands (I usually saw the argument in lieu of Zizek's "Turn the Letter of the Law" evidence).

But on the draft affirmative, I'm not sure how Agamben would support the aff, since the government is forcing people to join the military by instating a draft. Agamben will most likely have a hardy criticism on the negative, though.

SA

I think the only way you could use Agamben on a draft aff is if you could prove that a draft would cause a riot against the government or something of that nature.

I think the only way you could use Agamben on a draft aff is if you could prove that a draft would cause a riot against the government or something of that nature.

Still not sure how Agamben would apply.. A simple "riot" probably isn't going to rupture the system of biopolitics which Agamben says is rooted in the paradigm of the state.

SA

• Upvote 1

That wouldnt work with Agamben. A riot wouldnt be enough. But maybe you could explain it a little better in your " something of that nature"

EDIT

damn, aimgod beat me to it