Sign in to follow this  
Z3R0

Indiana Debaters and Camps

Yeah, I was wondering what camps you guys are going to, because I need to find one lol.

From what Brian Rosenthal told me, JC Debate Camp got cancelled due to "lack of interest"...weird, seeing as I haven't heard of that happening before. Heck, people go to that camp for three years sometimes, sometimes even four!

Basically, that's the only camp I would truly recommend to an Indiana debater, unless you're willing to, after going to another camp, comb through all of the evidence and weed out any unrealistic evidence and kritiks/CPs/unique theory arguments, as running those will usuallt get you in trouble.

going to any camp is better than not going to camp. i'm sure any camps nearby would be extremely helpful to any indiana debater. it's better to be well-versed in a variety of styles than really good at one and poor at others.

I agree with the above. I'm just cautioning against getting too much into another style. Running another style in Indiana usually doesn't go over well, unless your judge is open to new things like that. We have some like that, and I was pretty lucky this year to run into a bunch of them.

It's always, always better to know more styles than not. You won't necessarily be locked in to one style--when you're flexible, it allows you to change gears right before or even during a round.

I think that the idea that Indiana is overwhelmingly conservative only serves to perpetuate that. I think that more and more judges are more receptive to new styles and different arguments, and it's important to move those new ideas and strategies forward. If everyone tells himself or herself not to run, say, a counterplan just because it might not fly, it will NEVER work. In order to remain competitive even with our surrounding states, and hopefully to become semi-competitive while at the national tournament each year, Indiana must work to grow strategically.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with Mr. Crinnigan. I guess my only worry is that as a debater, for every tab rasa judge or a judge who's open to so-called "non-Indiana" tactics that I've had in the back of the room, I've had two judges who are unwilling to consider anything other than the same old stock issue/DA arguments, wherein aff proposes a plan and neg defends the SQ as better. But I'm sure that with time, the majority of judges will change over to an open paradigm, and then we can see a preponderance of new tactics.

We should look at what those CXers (I think there was another team besides Samantha and Kelly) who broke last year did, because apparently it worked!