jormarber

2006 Fifa World Cup

I never watched it in the past but this year some friends have got me interested in it. I don't know enough to predict teams, but I'll be backing th USA and the Ivory Coast.

I will watch as many games as possible. Watching Germany and Costa Rica right now. I watched all but 15 of the games in the 1998 and 2002 WC and should have to watch about 10-12 on the DVR of this one.

Of course I was a soccer coach before I became a debate coach so I do have more intrest than the average American.

The greatest sport in the world.

Czech Republic will win. Beating out Brazil 2-1.

Although they're the two most talented in the Cup, that's quite unlikely. Czech will have to win Group E to avoid running into Brazil in the round of 16.

This is the problem with FIFA - they rank the top 8 and the rest are left up to chance. As a result, Czech will have to upset the US or Italy to make the round of 16. They will have to upset both to avoid meeting Brazil in the Second Round.

• Downvote 1

Im not sure on bracket structure, so i cant speculate on particular match-ups.......but i would like to see england win.

Although they're the two most talented in the Cup, that's quite unlikely. Czech will have to win Group E to avoid running into Brazil in the round of 16.

This is the problem with FIFA - they rank the top 8 and the rest are left up to chance. As a result, Czech will have to upset the US or Italy to make the round of 16. They will have to upset both to avoid meeting Brazil in the Second Round.

except that neither would be an upset since the czechs are ranked #2

• Downvote 1

Czech will have to upset the US or Italy to make the round of 16. They will have to upset both to avoid meeting Brazil in the Second Round.
Rubaie, I don't see how making our team mad will make the Czechs play any better?

Ha. IDK how you can score on Petr Cech. I am going to be torn on Monday cheering for the US to score as much as possible yet cheering for my boy from Chelsea, Cech. Also, who all is hurt for the Czechs? I heard Nedved was hurt? If so there goes any control of the flow of the game the Czechs had.

Im not sure on bracket structure, so i cant speculate on particular match-ups.......but i would like to see england win.
Yes yes. Crouch is going to tear shit up followed closely by Lampard. It'll be interesting tomorrow to see if Eriksson moves up Lampard or Gerrard or plays Crouch. I would love to see some sweet Joe Cole or Lampard striker action tomorrow.

Brazil will take it. I have no doubts.

I'd prefer US or France, though. National pride, and I've always been a fan of France.

Mogadishu Islamists ban World Cup, spark protests

Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:40 PM BST

By Mohamed Ali Bile

MOGADISHU (Reuters) - Islamist militiamen shot in the air to disperse hundreds of Somalis protesting early on Saturday against moves by sharia courts to stop them watching the World Cup in the capital Mogadishu, residents said.

The football tournament had drawn huge crowds to television screens set up under trees and iron-sheeted shacks, providing some escape from the tension that has gripped Mogadishu since Islamists seized control from an alliance of warlords on Monday.

Witnesses said scores of young men set fire to tyres late on Friday in protests that carried on into the early hours of Saturday after Islamist gunmen pulled the plug on makeshift cinemas airing the football tournament.

Two people were wounded when militia tried to break up the demonstrations that centred around the main livestock market in an Islamist stronghold in the capital's north, residents said.

"The Islamic militia of the area issued an order to stop them watching films as well as the World Cup this year in Germany," said Elmi Muse, a resident contacted by Reuters.

"It is unacceptable to oppress the people," he added.

Similar moves by Islamist militia to close cinemas and video stores in Mogadishu last November triggered heavy fighting that killed at least 12 people and wounded more than 20.

Leaders of the capital's influential Islamic courts oppose Western and Indian films which they say promote immorality in the mainly Muslim nation of 10 million people.

Some residents fear the latest move to outlaw foreign entertainment is proof the Islamists want to create a Muslim state following their victory against a self-styled anti-terrorism coalition of secular warlords, believed to be backed by Washington.

The Islamic courts have been popular for restoring a semblance of order through sharia law in parts of the anarchic city, carved into fiefdoms by warlords who ousted military ruler Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991.

However, the World Cup ban stirred resentment among locals, already weary of the fighting in Mogadishu that has killed 350 people in three months.

"The residents of this area are very sorry about the way the Islamic militia is behaving towards the people at a time when our society needs peace and stability," said Moallim Hussein Abdi, a teacher.

One teenager was defiant.

"We do not accept the Islamic militia stopping us from watching the World Cup," Ahmed Yusuf, 19, said. "We'll continue demonstrating until they relent."

I dont want it to be Brazil, but they just have too good of a team.

Results so far:

Germany vs. Croatia- 2:1

Poland vs. Ecuador- 0:1

England vs. Paraguay- 1:0

I dont want it to be Brazil, but they just have too good of a team.

Results so far:

Germany vs. Croatia- 2:1

Poland vs. Ecuador- 0:1

England vs. Paraguay- 1:0

Germany didnt play Croatia, they played Costa Rica, and the score was 4:2 there.

except that neither would be an upset since the czechs are ranked #2

By FIFA standards it's not an uspet, but FIFA ranks teams by conference. Netherlands is #1 yet regarded by no one as the favorites, Italy is #13 in FIFA rankings but commonly regarded as a top 5 team, etc.

Also, who all is hurt for the Czechs? I heard Nedved was hurt? If so there goes any control of the flow of the game the Czechs had.

Milan Baros, who I've heard is widely regarded as their primary goalscorer.

Why'd you post the results?

I dont know, just felt like it. I didnt see the Germany or Poland game, and I think I read the wrong thing, so I think posted the wrong scores on accident.

Just thought I'd add that whoever negative repped me with the message "you don't know what you're talking about" was likely shocked to see the Czechs fail to advance. Considering that's the only predictive claim I made, it'd seem like I'm doing okay...

• Downvote 1

No one can stop Brazil... every other team has been rather dissapointing in my mind... especially England.

1) FIFA rankings mean shit--US was ranked 5th or something ridiculous like that

2) All of you are overlooking Germany--they have the offense (Podolski, etc.) to kick almost anyones ass and their goalkeeper (Lehman) is almost as good as Kahn back in his hey-day. Plus, the home country advantage is undeniable--I'm actually in Germany right now and it's unbelievable how pumped people are.

ENGLAND AND BRAZIL LOST!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

WHAAAAT!

Yea uh....i think France of Germany will win....most likely germany.