Sign in to follow this  
ldsk

To West Side Idaho Debaters

well... two of the Nationally qualifying teams did come from the east side, so you can't nessecaraly say that. Just because you can't communicate doesn't mean that we suck.

Dear Brandon,

I went to H.S. at South Fremont also, I debated there for three years. Although I spent most of my time working on Duo. My senior year I moved to western idaho and debated for Capital High School and did very well, winning and placing at local tournaments, debating bid rounds at TOC tournaments, etc. These are all of my qualifications to say this:

You're wrong.

It isn't about the inability to communicate. Perhaps you think that because they speak fast that they're arguments are poor? Or at the very least, the same as your own? If they were to slow down completely, and enunciate every word out of their mouth, they would still lose because the level of argumentation is on a different playing field. Not to say that every argument is amazing or anything, just that for the most part it's all off case, and often times kritiky. The DA's are structured differently, cases are written in compartive advantage form, and plans don't have planks. That's the reason that west Idaho debaters lose in east Idaho.

That being said, not everything you'll learn is wrong. It's nice to have a solid grasp on the fundamentals of debate (stock issues, case argumentation, etc) before you try to read quickly. What will help more than speed is research and reading lots and lots of literature on the topic you're researching, don't just print stuff out and file it. The more you read, the more you come off as sounding like you know what you're talking about, you'll use buzzwords without thinking about it, and sound like you know your argumentation.

Once you can do that, you can practice reading. Keep in mind that most reading you see in a debate round is not cold reading. These kids run mostly the same arguments every round and know every word in the card they've read it so many times. Do the same. You could spend hours and hours of your time reading with a highlighter in your mouth, or interjecting vowels inbetween every word if you want, or you could know what you're reading and understand your arguments. You'll get faster naturally and develop a rhythm. THEN you can work on speed drills.

How's Mrs. O doing? Tell her that Luke says hi.

edit: Oh and you'll find that NFL nationals don't carry a whole lot of weight around these parts. Especially in Idaho debate; most good teams don't even attend, let alone qualify. You should set your sights on the TOC.

well... two of the Nationally qualifying teams did come from the east side, so you can't nessecaraly say that. Just because you can't communicate doesn't mean that we suck.

um yeah that's because every region is alotted a certain number of teams that can qualify for nationals, not quality of teams. also remember that suckage is relative: the best east idaho debater would get stomped by the best, say, atlanta debater. speed isn't the inability to communicate; it's communication on a more technical level.

• Downvote 1

Guys, hold on a second. I don't think it's fair to stereotype eastern idaho debate. Besides, even if others lose here because of their complex argumentation, it's not our fault, we don't judge the rounds. Over the years I've gotten faster at reading, but he's right, the best way to get fast is to just know what you are reading, read it a lot, and it will come.

his name is Jeffydoo and that's enough to make me smile. I'll let it slide this time.

But see above, I debated in Eastern Idaho for a considerable amount of time. And that was 5 years ago when it was even more old school. I'm not sterotyping. I know what goes down.

Seriously. I'm reliable. My little green bars say so.

I like my name. Ha Ha. What I meant by stereotyping was that not all eastern idaho debaters write 4 or 5 plank plans straight up H, I, P, S, and A. Some of us are trying to break the mold. We'll have to wait and see if it works.

Thanks Brandon. June 17th. Yeah, and some schools (i.e. Hillcrest) even do another plank called administration, which is always USFG.

Sign in to follow this