TOC MAVEN

BEST COLLEGE RECRUITING CLASS & WHY

why do you rank the last five in the order that you do? just wondering because you have explanations for the first five.

Not Unusual and Not wrong Vandy.

Diet has it right, intriguing

Not vacuous WFLOGYOURSELF

Just different

FOOTBALL

Scouts Inc.com

1 Florida

2 USC

3 Texas

4 Georgia

5 Notre Dame

BASKETBALL

Rivals.com

1. UNC

2. Ohio State

3. U Conn.

4. Oklahoma

5. Texas

DEBATE

Cross-x.com Vacuity Poll

1. Berkeley

2. Iowa

3. West Georgia

4. USC

5. Gonzaga

Berkeley has acquired an abundance of riches. From the TOC Champion, Stephen Polley of Greenhill Academy in Texas, to the Trio of Kentucky Fellows who earned top speaker awards all year long at major tournaments and round robins all around the nation, Billy Smelko of St. Augustine in San Diego, James Brockway of Georgetown Day School in DC, and Paul Rogerson of New Trier outside Chicago, the coaching staff at Berkeley has recruited depth and breadth to join an already strong squad of returning veterans. All year long, no one really wanted to face many of Berkeley’s other recruits in a big round. The well-traveled Rahul Jaswa of Saratoga in Berkeley’s back yard may be the national sleeper of the year, and bringing in Tommy Langle of Wayzata in Minnesota and Nick Shook of the Meadows School in Las Vegas is no gamble when it comes to adding smart, strategic debaters who are well versed in the art of winning.

Iowa is bouncing back in the recruiting wars as no fewer than 4 really top drawer graduating seniors have committed to the Iowa Hawkeyes. Starting with TOC quarterfinalist Kyle Vint of nearby CR Washington, and extending all the way to Kiran Dhillon of Florida’s Celebration HS, the Hawks incoming class offers the prospect of improvement and growth during the next four or five years. With Joe Maloney of Homewood Flossmoor and Travis Henderson, the Hawkeyes are bringing in at least four freshpeople who can simply bring it in the debate round, and who will have an immediate impact on next year’s college circuit.

West Georgia has a real interesting class of incoming debate wonks. One of the nation’s best teams, and two of the graduating class of 2006’s best debaters, Jack Ewing and Mark Presenti of Bishop Guertin in New Hampshire join with long in the tooth redshirt, Jim Schultz, seen most recently coaching at Celebration, to offer Coach Mike Hester a shot at immediate success next year. In fact, with a legal topic projected on the horizon for next season, don’t put it past WGA to shed the vacuousness of classes past, and successfully build upon the very positive year that was completed by West Georgia ML last season.

USC is the only University in the nation to crossover Top Five Recruiting classes between Debate, which matters, and sports, which really doesn’t. USC’s acquisition of commitments from a TOC Finalist in Mima Lazerivic of Glenbrook South near Chicago, and one of America’s best 2AC’s, Kentucky Fellow Rajat Dhir of the Hootch in the Atlanta area, will enable USC’s Gordon Stables to add quality competitors to a well-balanced squad. Rumor has it that SC will add some other California products to the fold, or a transfer or two to build out the Varsity squad, which, if true, could vault USC to a strong second place location in the recruiting wars for the Class of 2010.

Gonzaga is bringing in another TOC Finalist, Abe Corrigan from Glenbrook South, and a 4-time TOC bid recipient in James Joseph of St. Augustine HS in San Diego, along with some quality Pacific Northwest Debaters to earn the ZAGS the 5th spot in the Cross-x.com Vacuity Poll. Corrigan and Joseph will not need to redshirt, and probably will be traveling right away as Freshmen, which might result in some rough early tournaments, but by the end of the year, these very hard working and hungry debaters will become mainstays on the College tour.

Rounding Out The Top 10 OR, the rich get richer:

6. Dartmouth

7. Harvard

8. Wake Forest

9. Northwestern

10. Emory

way too much time on ur hands...

though u may have too much time on your hands, i have to give u ur props, u know ur stuff...honestly, how did u learn this much about these debaters, it is almost creepy...

I thought the posts he'd made indicated he wasn't debating in college.

idk what difference this may make but i will be debating.

Hey Kenny, if you plan on debating shoot me an email as the college topic area is announced soon and we are starting to discuss summer plans with our incoming first years (gregachten@berkeley.edu).

Greg Achten

Cal Debate

it does make a difference...i heard you were amazing from my coach that judged you in triples...

welcome to berkeley

Yes.

ps im going to make the call that cal will beat usc in football next year

No.

ps im going to make the call that cal will beat usc in football next year

on a somewhat related note, Cal picked up its 22nd national title in Div.-I Men's Rugby yesterday. that makes it 22 - 5, Cal - everyone else combined. sheer dominance.

brennan

Northwestern is also getting Alex Twinem, Yvanna Cancela, Stuart Crichton, Tom Ferenc, Victoria Henning-Smejda, Chenault Taylor, and Libby Angst, but I don't know who is debating and who is not.

of course, in the grand scheme of life, collegiate debate is essentially irrelevant as well.

brennan

the Georges (Washington and Mason) (Zach Green (Lexington) and Zach Baum (Edgemont)

This is all vacuous gossip, but if you're speculating on a Lexingtonian who *isn't* debating, you should probably also add in the ones who are for sure - Caporal@Emory, Sears@WFU. There are a few others who may be debating in college , but those are two who have definitely committed and seem pretty enthused about college debate.

i hope these stupid lists dont discourage people from going to schools to debate that arent on the list-- its like a definition of territoriality, that no debate lies beyond hte sphere you have established