Sign in to follow this  
King_of_Crunk089

READING DERRIDA

I am beginning to dwelve into Derrida and I was figuring on starting with the book Of Grammatology...is this a good place to begin or is there another book i should perhaps start with, any comments will help, except of course negative ones...

I think that his works Specters of Marx and The Gift of Death are the most accessible to the beginner. But that's just been my experience with Derrida.

of grammatology is the beginning. however, i found that prosthesis of origin.monolingualism of the other was a much easier read. and much more interesting

unless you've read a lot of theory, tread lightly with derrida. i read about a chapter of grammatology, and then started crying because i realized it had just stolen my soul. which is to say, derrida is a difficult, dense, not fun read. though he has some interesting stuff buried in there.

hit me up on aim, ill help with the grammatology or any other derrida assuming i have read what you are referring to.

just a note, im i respond bitterly to your instant message just know its because i am in the middle of writing seminar papers and going crazy.

I would suggest "Derrida Dictionary" by Lucy. I know that Matt may find this to be trite, but its a good book. One thing that is really important when reading critical theory is a solid grasp of the vocabulary. "Derrida Dictionary" definately helps with Derrida's terminology.

As far as Derria literature goes, definately read Writing and Difference, of Gramatology and Postcards.