Sign in to follow this  
klink10k

Hot Women in debate.

This thread will entertain me.

Start listing your top 5 choices.

I would have to go with:

Alex Osario, Dana Joseph, Lindsey Bayham, Sara Clingan (even though she is a ho), Megan Authur.

GO!

• Downvote 2

Why is this a thread?

Why are people posting it?

This thread is really sexist. In fact, one of the most outward examples of sexism that I've seen in a while, although I'm proud to say I do not frequent these forums anymore. This thread reminds me why women consistently complain and at times leave the activity because they are reduced to docile sex objects.

It shouldn't surprise me. A bunch of guys who get their rocks off by listing 'hot' women in debate.

You should be ashamed. More than you should be ashamed though, you should change.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I would like to see those who participated in this thread thus far either apologize or attempt to justify exactly why they thought it would be wise to stack up the female participants in this most rigorous of intellectual activities by their physical attributes.

Sure, it is nice to be called hot (happens to me every day, I love it) but doesn't this just scream, "demeaning?" Complimenting someone in a classy way to their face is one thing, but entering every female participant in debate into an involuntary pageant to be judged by all of their peers on a public forum is a far cry from OK.

Accountability is required. Being called out by Mapes is a good first step. Responding to my request in the form of an apology or a self-accounting is much better.

• Downvote 1

I would like to see those who participated in this thread thus far either apologize or attempt to justify exactly why they thought it would be wise to stack up the female participants in this most rigorous of intellectual activities by their physical attributes.

Sure, it is nice to be called hot (happens to me every day, I love it) but doesn't this just scream, "demeaning?" Complimenting someone in a classy way to their face is one thing, but entering every female participant in debate into an involuntary pageant to be judged by all of their peers on a public forum is a far cry from OK.

Accountability is required. Being called out by Mapes is a good first step. Responding to my request in the form of an apology or a self-accounting is much better.

Yelling at kids helps sooooo freakin' much - I bet those 5 posters feel horrible - I doubt you just made them laugh and want to post more - I doubt that entirely

• Downvote 1

Also, for sake of humor, Meggie Mapes.

Note that I have never seen her and have no idea what she looks like. But, yeah.

• Downvote 1

Note that I have never seen her and have no idea what she looks like. But, yeah.

i love being called hot as a joke

That's not funny.

It's clear you understood nothing that was written by Ben and myself.

• Downvote 1

i love being called hot as a joke

And it very well may be true. The point was, mainly, that I'm a dick, but also that taking things like this too seriously is rather ridiculous, ESPECIALLY when it's coming from JMo.

I'm think I'm done here, mainly, because I keep throwing up in my mouth everytime I read these boogin responses.

To say that sexism in debate is not serious is disgusting.

duuuu-u-u-u-u-uuuuude

it's serious

i agree with you

but like, you can't just attack idiots like Jeffro on a message board - it's been like 5 years since you started posting on this damned site - and has message board argumentation ever accomplished anything?

Just like Jeffro do his thang - when he realizes his pigheadedness will leave him dislike, disrespected and alone maybe then he'll reevaluate whether objectifying women is the right thang to be doin'

But until then bitchin' is just gonna make him think this shit is funnier and he'll keep doin' it

He's like a bully - just ignore 'im

ugh. i hate people who think that they are being freaking god by helping out the 'women'. i'm pretty sure this was all just light hearted fun that one person decided to turn into some extreme sexist activity.

i'm a girl, and i don't feel oppressed by this thread.

with that said, my nomination is for emily mcknight (sp?). I don't know why but i think she is just really pretty in a very non-superficial way.

ugh. i hate people who think that they are being freaking god by helping out the 'women'. i'm pretty sure this was all just light hearted fun that one person decided to turn into some extreme sexist activity.

with that said, my nomination is for emily mcknight (sp?). I don't know why but i think she is just really pretty in a very non-superficial way.

Often times the oppressed begin to identify with the ideology of the oppressor in order to lift themselves.

It's the same reason a lot of Native Americans say they aren't affected by Native American mascots making a mockery of their people and blurring the genocidal history of America.

It's also the same reason that many slaves claimed not to mind slavery after they recieved their freedom.

You might not feel oppressed by this thread - but do you deny that women in this society have a burden on them that men don't? Do you deny that women are objectified in pop culture? Do you deny that for many women - external, white male versions of beauty have become a more important priority not out of desire but out of necessity?

This thread isn't about you being offended by Jeff's comments - it's about what his comments mean. It's about what Jason's question means. They reflect on this system - they should that sexism has become normalized. This thread demonstrates how sexualizing women has become a pasttime and how it is accepted. You demonstrate how this system is so ingrained in our very psychologies that we tend to ignore the logic behind it and find it inoffensive. If you don't find this thread offensive then you can never fully support women's movements and causes - you can't attack the institutions that have held back the rights and opportunities of women for centuries without attacking their logic, their worldview, their framework. To accept the framework and to deny the system is a logical fallacy - and ultimately makes the latter an impossibility.

Don't find the thread offensive - but then don't shudder when rape occurs.

well since it was all in fun let's just turn the other way

and just b/c youre a girl doesnt mean you know what sexism is.

i dont think ben and michael are sitting on a pedestal acting as though they're "god" by helping out "women", i think they were pointing out the obvious; that this thread is inappropriate and this is why the activity itself has been labeled as sexist.

and i'm a woman, and i DO think this is inappropriate.

Often times the oppressed begin to identify with the ideology of the oppressor in order to lift themselves.

Sure that make since, but maybe some people just really don't mind these type of things.

You might not feel oppressed by this thread - but do you deny that women in this society have a burden on them that men don't? Do you deny that women are objectified in pop culture? Do you deny that for many women - external, white male versions of beauty have become a more important priority not out of desire but out of necessity?

Okay, so we have a social subjectivity, now i am going to go and cry about it. Maybe some men feels demeaned by the way that they are always portrayed as masculient men when in actuallity all they want to do is go home and play dungeons and dragons. You don't see men's equality movements. Do womyn have a burden on them that men don't? Sure, they birth children whilst the men don't. Are you going to come up with a sweet ass surgery to implant overies in men? Women have a burden because they where born that way. Do i deny that womyn are objectified in pop culture? Sure they are, but what isn't? I hear lots of songs about womyn kicking some ass and being tight as hell and i hear songs where men suck ass. As for womyn wanting to have external beauty, i don't really get where you are trying to go with that. Some girls want to be pretty because it makes them feels good about themselves, not because other people thing that they are pretty but because they themselves actually think they are pretty. Some girls think they are beautiful, while other people could think they are ugly. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

This thread isn't about you being offended by Jeff's comments - it's about what his comments mean. It's about what Jason's question means. They reflect on this system - they should that sexism has become normalized. This thread demonstrates how sexualizing women has become a pasttime and how it is accepted. You demonstrate how this system is so ingrained in our very psychologies that we tend to ignore the logic behind it and find it inoffensive. If you don't find this thread offensive then you can never fully support women's movements and causes - you can't attack the institutions that have held back the rights and opportunities of women for centuries without attacking their logic, their worldview, their framework. To accept the framework and to deny the system is a logical fallacy - and ultimately makes the latter an impossibility.

I know when people are being objectified, and sure this thread demonstrates it, but going over the pro's and con's of the situation i decided that, to me, it isn't such a huge deal. It isn't that i agree with the framework which is that of subconsciosly slandering womyn, but more that i don't think that i should freak out about it because i choose to not let it hurt my feelings. I could start crying about how unfair this world is and bitch about everything, or i could just not let it get to me.

i'm sorry that i am not as loquacious as you

Haha

I love how you get all feminist and spell "women", "womyn", after you just got done saying you hate how guys try and stand up for "women".

Once again, Klink begins a thread that offends people. I am glad that you think it is funny to do things that could possible offend and then sit back and defend by stating the message board does not change people. I believe that people you have already offended do not come back to see you have switched your behavior. I am not sure why you cannot forgo creating threads that offend people. Do us all a favor every time you are about ready to post something just punch yourself in the junk.

Peace Louie

I know when people are being objectified, and sure this thread demonstrates it, but going over the pro's and con's of the situation i decided that, to me, it isn't such a huge deal. It isn't that i agree with the framework which is that of subconsciosly slandering womyn, but more that i don't think that i should freak out about it because i choose to not let it hurt my feelings. I could start crying about how unfair this world is and bitch about everything, or i could just not let it get to me.

I don't post on here much anymore, but sometimes I find it necessary. to assert that "because the world is unfair I should just not let it get to me" is awful- that just lets the objectification continue- when you laugh and joke and are compliant with that which is inappropriate you are propping up a system that is degrading to you. By trying to label girls in debate as hot and make a discussion of it on the forums, debaters are just reminding me why you see so few girls in the activity as compared to guys. It's no wonder. Mapes and Ben weren't "freaking out"- they were calling the other people out. As should be done. I'm still interested if someone will actually apologize- but I'm not really holding my breath.