andrewman327

Anyone Interested in a Timer Program?

Hello everyone! I was wondering if it would be worth my time to write a program in Java for timing rounds. I wrote a rather comprehensive proggy in QBASIC (PM me if you want it) but I was thinking of making an easier to use version in a modern language I am currently learning Java, so it will be a while until I can finish it.

If you like the idea, give me ideas for specific things that you would want in the program. Of course, it would be free of charge and the sourcecode would be open source. My last program let the user input prep time before the round started. It knows what speech is currently running, and has a bunch of options as far as stopping early and going back a speech. One thought that I had was making different options for different events (cx, LD, PF, extemp, etc.)

Any input is very welcome. Thanks for your time.

Breza, you have too much time on your hands... btw, doesnt spdl outlaw laptops?

If I do it for part of class, it isn't having too much time on my hands. We have to do a project for AP Computer Science, and this would require using geeky stuff like timer, input, prompts, etc.

Who cares if SPDL outlaws laptops? I think there are a lot of people around the country who would like a good timer proggy.

Even people who use <shudder> Macs <ick> should be able to run my program because it will be written in Java.

Ankur, see you in a few weeks!

Breza,

I changed jobs and am no longer in the suburban Philly area. I am downtown and working in South Jersey. So I am not judging any SPDLs this year. If you come down to Villiger in a couple weeks, which would be good (more competition is always good)... then I'll see you... and you could take a gander at my craziest aff case to date...

Everyone- does anyone else have any thoughts? What specific things should I include? Would you actually want a proggy like this?

fuzzy_muzzy1669- my computer science class only does Java, so I can use it for credit if I write it in Java. I think that just about everybody can run Java, even though WinXP shipped without it. Granted, Java may not be as fast as C in some applications, but here it does not matter. In order to adapt an existing C timer program, I would have to make extensive changes, beyond just changing the interface. I would also need the source code, which is often difficult to obtain. When I manage to get something working, I'll send it to you. If you give me advice on interface and stuff, I'll put your name in the program as "Beta Tester."

Ankur- too bad you aren't in SPDL this year. Well, good for you, but bad for us. My new coach still is not at all interested in debating outside of SPDL, unfortionatly, so I guess I won't be at Villiger. Being team captain, I get to whip all of my freshmen into shape, though. Craziest case to date? Wow, that is truely terrifying.

Hmmm, A debate timer for a laptop?

Well, I as a judge would want 3 separate timers in one.

One for Speech time, one for Aff Prep time remaining, and one for Neg Preptime remaining. All three timings should be viewable at the same time.

That way I wouldn't have to unfairly give or take a minute from anyone due to my lack of math skills. (_8^(|)

They should be labled as such, no confusion, no mistakes.

Everyone- does anyone else have any thoughts? What specific things should I include? Would you actually want a proggy like this?

fuzzy_muzzy1669- my computer science class only does Java, so I can use it for credit if I write it in Java. I think that just about everybody can run Java, even though WinXP shipped without it. Granted, Java may not be as fast as C in some applications, but here it does not matter. In order to adapt an existing C timer program, I would have to make extensive changes, beyond just changing the interface. I would also need the source code, which is often difficult to obtain. When I manage to get something working, I'll send it to you. If you give me advice on interface and stuff, I'll put your name in the program as "Beta Tester."

Ankur- too bad you aren't in SPDL this year. Well, good for you, but bad for us. My new coach still is not at all interested in debating outside of SPDL, unfortionatly, so I guess I won't be at Villiger. Being team captain, I get to whip all of my freshmen into shape, though. Craziest case to date? Wow, that is truely terrifying.

You know, I am sure that if you wanted to go down to villiger with your partner... without your schools knowledge or support... I am sure that you might be able to somehow "locate a coach" to be your judge for the tournament... and well, seeing that Villiger could always use more competition, I am sure that the tournament staff might be able to work something out... You never know if you dont try.

Yes. Be terrified. Mortified. Deathly afraid. :)

• Upvote 1

Timer Specific Requirements:

Capable of handling 5 time variables simultaneously.

Aff Team Prep

Neg Team Prep

Constructive

Cross-X

Rebuttal

Furthermore, you want each of the times to be user-defined at the start of each instance of the program. This way you can modify the times for sa JV which in some parts of the country has less speaking time.

Additionally, you want to record the times used and time remaining for each speech. It is a very handy piece of knowledge for when you are making suggestions to the teams on where they can improve. So at the end of the round, (marked perhaps by an [End] button), all the speeches appear.

If you wanted to make it really modular, you could require modes so that you can switch in and out of say policy mode, LD mode, congress mode, OO, DI, etc... But that requires a lot more programming an I dont know if you are into coding as much as some people...

I had a former student that had a laptop timer he designed that looked pretty cool and seemed to work well. If someone could make something like that in a fairly small amount of space, I'd gladly host it on my site. Same for some flow templates in excel.

I don't flow on the laptop, but I would keep time on it. I always have the laptop, and I never have a timer.

Anyway, let me know.

If any of you are still interested, I have a working alpha version. In another week I will have most of the CX specific stuff coded, and it will be usable as a round timer. Right now I have around 170 lines of code, and it works as a normal timer.

Of course, as time goes on, the program will get better and better. As I write more code and test it for bugs, I will release it as a beta, then as version 1.0.

As always, any and all suggestions are welcome. I am using a lot of variables so the program will be highly custimizable.

Anyone with programming knowledge is encouraged to take a look at the source code. The language is Java. I wrote it as an applet, but I would like to convert it to an application.

I downloaded a pretty good timer program from the national circuit thread. If you haven't seen it, I'd take a look.

The timer is by "resourceful idiot" and is very easy to use. It's under a sticky in the National Circuit thread. It's sweet action for anyone with laptop allowed in round.

this program has saved me in rounds more often than not.. it's really cool and has a nice, minimalist interface. A definite YES if you want a timer program for your laptop; one point of improvement could be a flow-style layout to time speeches and c-x.

Now I suppose my task is to make a timer that is more useful than his. One advantage I notice is that my timer knows what speech it is. The user doesn't have to click const/rebuttal/CX every time someone gets up to speak. One annoyence with his program is that, while taking prep, remaining time doesn't update in a way that I like. Also, my program does not require any installation whatsoever. Hopefully I can give him a run for his money. Actually, I'd love to work with the other programmer. Who knows what we could do together.

If it's JAVA, don't you have to have a compiler on your computer?

Although Windows XP did not ship with a Java interpreter, almost everybody has one. Almost all online games are written in either Java, Flash, or Shockwave, and most people have the ability to run at least the first two. Java programs are far easier to run the first time than other languages because they do not need to be installed. Double click on the icon and you're good to go. Decide that you don't like the program? Hit delete and it's completely gone!

People do not need a compiler, they need an interpreter. Java does not have a native operating system, so it needs an interprater to translate into OS specific stuff. The beauty of this system is that the program runs the same on Win 9x, Win 2k, Win XP, Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, Linux, or even Unix! The other Timer is written in Visual Basic, which sometimes has problems on older versions of Windows, and can't run on other operating systems at all. I know that no debaters flow on Unix powered laptops, but it's cool to know they could.

Timer Specific Requirements:

Capable of handling 5 time variables simultaneously.

Aff Team Prep

Neg Team Prep

Constructive

Cross-X

Rebuttal

Furthermore, you want each of the times to be user-defined at the start of each instance of the program. This way you can modify the times for sa JV which in some parts of the country has less speaking time.

Additionally, you want to record the times used and time remaining for each speech. It is a very handy piece of knowledge for when you are making suggestions to the teams on where they can improve. So at the end of the round, (marked perhaps by an [End] button), all the speeches appear.

If you wanted to make it really modular, you could require modes so that you can switch in and out of say policy mode, LD mode, congress mode, OO, DI, etc... But that requires a lot more programming an I dont know if you are into coding as much as some people...

This quote is a big comment at the start of my program. I am working on adjustable times, and my proggy currently only supports CX, but I have incorporated the rest of your comments.

http://stupidapps.com/ct-download.html

or you could download one right now and save yourself the time.

BTW.... All i did to find this was.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=timer+download&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t-214&fl=0&x=wrt

type "Download timer" at yahoo :)

I'll quote the mystical Philosoph David Bowman, "Why do work, when you don't need to."

http://stupidapps.com/ct-download.html

or you could download one right now and save yourself the time.

BTW.... All i did to find this was.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=timer+download&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t-214&fl=0&x=wrt

type "Download timer" at yahoo :)

I'll quote the mystical Philosoph David Bowman, "Why do work, when you don't need to."

Do you think that I didn't look for an existing timer before writing hundreds of lines of code? Look at Ankur's post, now try to find an existing timer that does all of that.

There are many countdown timers out there. As a matter of fact, my program could be used as a countdown timer. The problem is that the other timers do not handle the intricacies of CX. My timer does. Mine is very easy to use.

If you want to see what I have so far, e-mail me: SocialConservative@Gmail.com

There is something nice about doing things like this for yourself, just so that you can learn/teach yourself how to do it. The first thing I remember programming was a deck of cards object (in a text based environment) that effectively shuffled and dealt a hand to up to 6 players. It was fairly simplistic, and there were other decks that had many more functions, but I wasn't trying to compete with them, merely to learn the process of programming in that language.

To answer David Bowman, "I work when I don't need to so that I can work less when I do need to."

Screenshot

This is what the program looks like after the 2AC. (The 2A must be from my league, with a 7 second speech.) I need to work on the appearence of the speech name and prep time, but that is easy. As you can see, the program knows the round order. Per Ankur's request, after the round is over, it displays how much time was left per speech.

When the speech has 10 seconds left, it turns red. I am working on allowing the user to customize the color and when it changes. As a matter of fact, I am working on a lot of settings. The biggest problem right now is that there are very few settings that the user can change. If anyone knows Java, I'm looking to use JDialog. I know how I'm going to do it, and I should get it coded soon.

Any comments on the layout? I can adjust where things appear, how big they are, what color they are, etc. What buttons should I have? I will incorporate any suggestions.

Hey, I recognize that format! Are you running BlueJ?

I'm running JCreator, my compiler. That is the applet viewer built in to the program.

How much Java experience do you have? Would you like to take a look at my source code? I am trying to master the JDialog, but it's not being very nice to me. :frown: I'll probably use tabs for different settings, but a custom JDialog would be cooler.

Anyone with Java experience is welcome to examine my source code. It may seem a bit dense at times, but I have loads of comments.

Really? JCreator has that applet viewer? We have both BlueJ and JCreator, but I never realized that JCreator had that viewer...BlueJ does, though.

Which edition of JCreator are you using?

I'm really sorry, but I'm only in the very early stages of compsci 2; I know relatively little. I know the basics, but, to give you an idea, I still only know up to using the I/O package and only vaguely understand exceptions handling.

Really? JCreator has that applet viewer? We have both BlueJ and JCreator, but I never realized that JCreator had that viewer...BlueJ does, though.

Which edition of JCreator are you using?

I'm really sorry, but I'm only in the very early stages of compsci 2; I know relatively little. I know the basics, but, to give you an idea, I still only know up to using the I/O package and only vaguely understand exceptions handling.

My school runs JCreator 3.0. There is a slightly newer version that I use from home. They all have applet viewers. I'm working hard to add a robust settings feature, and I can use all the people reviewing my code as I can get.

My class doesn't even cover exception handling, and we haven't touched the i/o package.

• Upvote 1