ChaseatMemorial

Edmond Memorial shits and giggles tourney

Hey everyone in oklahoma, I think that memorial is going to have a tournament at the end of the year just for fun. It would be nice to have as many people as possible. I don't know if east side teams can come or not, but if you can, that would be outstanding. For sure, west side teams are invited. Please email me at bingolfin89@aol.com or personal message me. The date will probably be the weekend of May 12th.

Also, the rules will be very laxed (ie. laptops allowed, no specific rules for CITATIONS [that's for you tommy!] ) and so forth.

• Downvote 1

hmmmm... is this serious?

if so, you should probably give more info: does it cost money, do we need to bring judges, does a coach/school representative have to come, would it last more than one day, is it just cross-x, etc.

Hey everyone in oklahoma, I think that memorial is going to have a tournament at the end of the year just for fun. It would be nice to have as many people as possible. I don't know if east side teams can come or not, but if you can, that would be outstanding. For sure, west side teams are invited. Please email me at bingolfin89@aol.com or personal message me. The date will probably be the weekend of May 12th.

Also, the rules will be very laxed (ie. laptops allowed, no specific rules for CITATIONS [that's for you tommy!] ) and so forth.

rules are bad. citations are good.

end of story.

:-p

rather than a "shits and giggles" tournament.. you should have a tournament where coaches and graduates debate and you guys judge...

I like this idea

First, I tried to see how many college debaters and coaches i could get together to debate, but there wasn't enough.

As for Katie's idea about grudge matches, if you guys are interested in this, please email me or personal message me (my email is in an above post on this thread). If we get enough matchups to do this, i think it would be a wonderful idea.

Now to answer what Johnny said. 1st, we haven't finalized all the info, but here's how it should go down. It will be 20$ a person, 10 for entry fee and 10 for judging fee. Also, Every school must bring 1 judge per 2 teams entered. If not possible, it will be an additional 10$ a squad. As far as having a school representative with you, that is up to your school and your coaches. Most likely it will probably not be required by the tournament, but it would probably be a good idea for organizational needs.

And yes, the tournament will be only policy debate, nothing else. We will probably be having college speech time also (9,6, and 3 w/ 10 min prep).

We will probably be having college speech time also (9,6, and 3 w/ 10 min prep).

Why?

First, I tried to see how many college debaters and coaches i could get together to debate, but there wasn't enough.

As for Katie's idea about grudge matches, if you guys are interested in this, please email me or personal message me (my email is in an above post on this thread). If we get enough matchups to do this, i think it would be a wonderful idea.

Now to answer what Johnny said. 1st, we haven't finalized all the info, but here's how it should go down. It will be 20$ a person, 10 for entry fee and 10 for judging fee. Also, Every school must bring 1 judge per 2 teams entered. If not possible, it will be an additional 10$ a squad. As far as having a school representative with you, that is up to your school and your coaches. Most likely it will probably not be required by the tournament, but it would probably be a good idea for organizational needs.

And yes, the tournament will be only policy debate, nothing else. We will probably be having college speech time also (9,6, and 3 w/ 10 min prep).

dude, i could name at least 10 people (coach/judge) that would want to debate.. im sure there are others, it just might take a bit more effort. i'll help if you want.

Why?

i know he makes no sense at all. chase what would be the reason to have college times, are you already practicing for college?

• Downvote 1

your probably right about the college times, but i definitely want to have 10 min of prep b/c, i sure there will be a lot of people in Oklahoma debating on the national circuit next year and we are the only state that has 5 min of prep, other states have either 8 or 10

Dave,

I think that your idea is awesome, but i don't think that we would be able to reserve our school rooms just for that. But what i do think might be a good idea is if we can get 1 high school debater and 1 college debater/coach/judge to make a team, i think that would be a really fun tournament, the only problem would be trying to find people to judge the rounds. Please give me some feedback b/c i think something along these lines could be really fun.

i sure there will be a lot of people in Oklahoma debating on the national circuit next year

Do you mean the same 3 schools that are the only ones to travel out of state any given year: Edmond North, Jenks and Heritage Hall. Occassionally you all show up but even 4 schools doesn't really constitute "a lot".

It appears that the State Advisory Committee meeting in which us debaters feel the need to get the rules changed, is the exact same Friday that the "shits and giggles" tournament will occur.

Why does it not surprise me that Memorial overlooked this?

It appears that the State Advisory Committee meeting in which us debaters feel the need to get the rules changed, is the exact same Friday that the "shits and giggles" tournament will occur.

Shae man, youre kinda of a bummer dude.

national circuit prep isnt the only reason to go to 10 minutes prep (and your argument is just kinda stupid as to why this isnt a reason to do it).

im sure not every debater in the state is going to the committee, im sure there will be some who would enjoy going to this.

how many rounds are you supposing this tournament will be?

the blake round robin every year has a really neat format for a small tournament. the highest seed gets to challenge a team of their choice, and they debate. then the next highest seed, and so on. this seems like this would be really fun for a tournament of this size/atmosphere.

and what's for dinner?

I really like Michael's idea about letting the top seeds challenge someone. The only thing that would be hard is how we seed people. But before we even have a discussion of seeding people, we should 1st try to see who all can come. Also, shae, the date can be changed if a better date would work for everybody, but it would have to be May 12 or after because we couldn't get everything organized faster than 3 weeks and I am not able to help out the two weekends before this date.

First of all Andy, I am not arguing against a change of prep, regardless of the reason. I am just pointing out Chase's stupidity because he thinks there is a lot of out of state traveling in Oklahoma when there isn't. Second, the fact that it is on the same day as the Committee means Glendinning won't be there and seeing as how Beth Evans would most definitely ask him to run the tournament [lord knows she couldn't] Memorial will have to find someone else who is a) able and B) willing, not to say that there aren't other people. That is just putting extra stress on the tournament that is definitely not needed. Third, since I have no intention of debating at this tourney I would be more than happy to do the seedings for Memorial, I have nothing better to do with my time anyways. Finally, I don't care what weekend it is on I just thought it was important enough to point it out that there would be some conflict that we could know about in advance.

Dave,

I think that your idea is awesome, but i don't think that we would be able to reserve our school rooms just for that. But what i do think might be a good idea is if we can get 1 high school debater and 1 college debater/coach/judge to make a team, i think that would be a really fun tournament, the only problem would be trying to find people to judge the rounds. Please give me some feedback b/c i think something along these lines could be really fun.

Yeah, feel free to email me (dblair@ou.edu), and I can start naming names and shit like that.. Was I your judge that Charles Page round?

please (this goes to everyone) do not include us in this, this is chases tourny, no one else from memorial will prolly even be there

Second, the fact that it is on the same day as the Committee means Glendinning won't be there and seeing as how Beth Evans would most definitely ask him to run the tournament [lord knows she couldn't] Memorial will have to find someone else who is a) able and B) willing, not to say that there aren't other people.

dude CHASE is going to run the tourny (lol)

Ok, 1st, I don't think that we will have to depend on Glendenning to help run the tournament. You're right, normally we would ask him too, but since it is only going to be cross-x and there is only one division, i don't think it will be that hard to set up. Dr. Evans is probably going to be handling the stuff with the judges like getting them paid and getting the judges lounge set up so they have food to eat. I most likely am going to be working with ballots and pairings. The only problem we would have with getting ballots and pairings up is that i wanted to debate in the tournament and that could cause some controversy. I don't know who would have a problem with this or not, but if you guys (or girls) would rather have someone else do the ballots since i wil be debating, i'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to find someone that could do it.

Oh, and shae, I'm pretty sure i talked to some PCO and Norman kids and I might be wrong, but i thought they said that they would be traveling out of state, so that would be 5 or 6 schools going, but you might be right. Regardless, i don't think it will make us worse debaters b/c we use 10 min of prep., but if you are so opposed to this, then i guess you speak for the whole oklahoma debate community.