Sign in to follow this  
Socratic0314

Justify Severence Perms

The problem that I see in trying to defend a severence perm outside of that perm what other option does the aff have to defeat the perm outside of something like pics bad. The other problem is if there is problem in the plan text the aff should have discovered this before the round. You had how many hours to write the plan and you chose not to look into those things. You can win severence good at the point in which you prove that no ground or abuse has taken place. I would normally go for a severence perm when the neg is running an illegit cp.

The problem that I see in trying to defend a severence perm outside of that perm what other option does the aff have to defeat the perm outside of something like pics bad. The other problem is if there is problem in the plan text the aff should have discovered this before the round. You had how many hours to write the plan and you chose not to look into those things. You can win severence good at the point in which you prove that no ground or abuse has taken place. I would normally go for a severence perm when the neg is running an illegit cp.

I don't know why people want to justify severeance perms. If somebody is running a PIC that is *really* extraneous (like exclude fat people or something), say that it's extraneous, a time skew, stupid, and that any level of conditionality is abusive as hell. Following that, straight-turn it (fat people good, for instance.).

I don't know why people want to justify severeance perms. If somebody is running a PIC that is *really* extraneous (like exclude fat people or something), say that it's extraneous, a time skew, stupid, and that any level of conditionality is abusive as hell. Following that, straight-turn it (fat people good, for instance.).

Nobody has ever won a serious debate round on the argument, "your counterplan is extraneous". If a counterplan is conditional, then there may be an argument that the affirmative should be able to prove that by advocating a significant portion of the plan (but not all of it) the counterplan is noncompetitive. This is key to checking the block or something. It's not a terribly sophisticated argument and a severance perm is usually something a 1AR should only extend on the off-chance that the 2NR forgets to flip over a piece of paper and drops the perm.

Severence perms are legit, however they do not prove the CP is non-competitive. So you cannot win of them. Maybe you could say the perm is an alt advocacy, but that gets messy fast.

Against really small PICs, I would rather go for PICs bad. But better yet, Kritik their exclusion of a type of person. Any NB they gain off excluding fat people is minimal, and will be OW by your K.