spew56

Have you ever used back files to right a research paper

I used global warming files for my final paper on that subject. Knowing I would be able to do that was actually the only reason I took Energy and the Environment.

I wrote another final on orientalism.

And another (partly) on the pedagogical value of debate.

Used my aff case last yr (gender mainstreaming) for a scholarship essay on UN reform. Advanced from the local level but didn't win anything nationally.

Wrote about genocide (citing Vetylson) and feminist discourse for college essays.

• Downvote 1

My english teacher actually used to be a policy debater "back in the day" according to rumors. And he's really liberal. So writing papers is fun...I worked with my 1AC for a "quick write" in class but that's about it. Otherwise my papers are just sort of debate related but I don't specifically pick my topic because of debate

(I actually tend to pick them to piss off my ultra-conservative english classmates)

The kids in my English class piss me off on a fairly frequent basis. It's not so much the beleifs they hold (although it is in some instances) as it is the way they act about them. For instance, they won't support their beleifs if challenged on specific points, because they don't want to "debate about it" since "it's just what they beleive." This bothers me to some extent, but as far as truly personal beleifs go (religion, personal thoughts about sexuality, etc.), I'm perfectly okay with not arguing with people. Yet, if I say anything that pertains to my beleifs (which I will defend, or discuss, depending on what's appropriate), that's automatically me trying to start a "debate" even if it's just a comment about something we're discussing as a class and perfectly on topic. They also make controversial statements that offend me, and get upset when I respond to those comments, even if the response is calm or limited to something like "It bothers me when you say things like that, could you please not say them around me?"

As far as using debate stuff for reaseach papers, I do that to some extent. For instance, I'm using "Gender Trouble" as one of my resources for a paper I'm writing right now. My philosophy on it is, as long as I'm not just copy-pasting card warrants together and calling it a paper, it's perfectly okay to use things from debate as evidence in papers. After all, that's part of the education aspect of debate, right?

~Rhétorique

• Downvote 1

The kids in my English class piss me off on a fairly frequent basis. It's not so much the beleifs they hold (although it is in some instances) as it is the way they act about them. For instance, they won't support their beleifs if challenged on specific points, because they don't want to "debate about it" since "it's just what they beleive." This bothers me to some extent, but as far as truly personal beleifs go (religion, personal thoughts about sexuality, etc.), I'm perfectly okay with not arguing with people. Yet, if I say anything that pertains to my beleifs (which I will defend, or discuss, depending on what's appropriate), that's automatically me trying to start a "debate" even if it's just a comment about something we're discussing as a class and perfectly on topic. They also make controversial statements that offend me, and get upset when I respond to those comments, even if the response is calm or limited to something like "It bothers me when you say things like that, could you please not say them around me?"

That tends to be an issue in some of my classes. Whenever I, or at times my friends and I open up discussions about personal beliefs, there are always people around who accuse us of trying to "debate" them, or turning everything into an argument. These also tend to be the people who will make sexist/heterosexist/ and/or racist comments, laugh about them, and expect no one to care. Fortunately my english (and this happens in math class too, oddly enough) teacher is liberal enough (and like I said before, a former debater) so he tends to let us discuss everything, even when it starts to get heated.

And I don't use debate evidence per se, but I use what debate has taught me to write persuasive essays. Like how to structure my arguements and such within the paper. I think that's what helps me more than backfiles ever will.

That tends to be an issue in some of my classes. Whenever I, or at times my friends and I open up discussions about personal beliefs, there are always people around who accuse us of trying to "debate" them, or turning everything into an argument. These also tend to be the people who will make sexist/heterosexist/ and/or racist comments, laugh about them, and expect no one to care. Fortunately my english (and this happens in math class too, oddly enough) teacher is liberal enough (and like I said before, a former debater) so he tends to let us discuss everything, even when it starts to get heated.

And I don't use debate evidence per se, but I use what debate has taught me to write persuasive essays. Like how to structure my arguements and such within the paper. I think that's what helps me more than backfiles ever will.

Your lucky to have a teacher that will nuetrally talk about things. I had an English teacher who is known for making such comments as "we should nuke all the arabs", "Bill O'Reilly is 100% always correct", and many other offending and unintelligable comments.

But when i was in his class i would usually call him out on some of the issues and try and explain them. Not to intentionally generalize people or groups but he took to stance of most every republican i have ever met. It was the defensive, you hate america because you don't see things the way i do bullshit.

This is the guy who told me that it was entirely ethical to continue our use of Depleted Uranium, Alternate Energy is stupid, killing every arab is justified and he continually made jokes towards minorities and perpetually degraded women.

But whenever anyone would challenge him he tried to turn it against us and try and convince everyone that we were idiots and establish a hierarchy of knowledge while making everything but his unfounded opinion seem wrong.

I handed him a flyer explaining about demilitarization, one about the books not bombs campaign, and one about how we should impeach Bush. And instead of reading them or trying to constructively make an argument against them he tore them up and threw them in the trashcan. I smiled and walked off, told the principal, counseler and the administration. Nothing has been done about his actions except for the fact that i am no longer in his class. There is somethign wrong with that picture

• Upvote 2

I always love righting essays. hah.

But anyways- I love pulling fast ones on my English teacher when she brings up something politically correct. I refuse to leave it this way and instantly make it incorrect. I know most of the evidence in our 1AC by heart so sometimes during tests at random moments, I'll just start spewing, the reactions are entertaining.

I wrote my writing proficiency on biopower. 'Nuff said.

I wrote about nuclear war discourse in response to my teachers claim that we should nuke all the arabs. I got a 47% on the paper, because he didn't agree with it.

And yes, in that class if you wanted to get an A you had to "right" an essay instead of "write" an essay or put any intellectual thought into it.

1)...how is it then that he can spell every word in that sentence correctly excluding the "vary"

2)How is it obvious that he "has" dislexia?

Why don't you learn how to spell dyslexia before acting like everyone's English teacher?

3) This kritique wins, round over Judge vote me

...what are you talking about again?

• Upvote 1

Used my aff case last yr (gender mainstreaming) for a scholarship essay on UN reform. Advanced from the local level but didn't win anything nationally.

I applied to that one too. My case was standing army. I advanced in local level - how do you know that you didn't advance in national level? Was I supposed to have gotten a letter back a while ago?

I used Nye/Soft Power in a practice SAT essay that we did. I also use my civlibs knowledge this year a lot in class discussions, with some UN stuff. I've never really gotten a chance to do some serious application of critiques, though. But I'm thinking about doing CLS for my IB Extended Essay.

i am currently writing a paper about treatment of animals that i am applying animal rights backfiles and agamben back files to. backfiles = easiest research available

for my PSAT mock essay, i wrote about utilitariansim. i think the prompt was government for the greatest good or something like that, so i just remembered everything from my framework file...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Downvote 5

We had an American Lit project on "Modern-Day Human Rights Violations." I was in a group with two other debaters, and instead of doing child labor like half the others were doing, we did the poverty draft. Screw backfiles, it was our 1AC!

Guantanamo paper using my gtmo aff and my Dostoevsky paper using my Nietzsche file (it was a comparision involving nihilism and all that jazz)

P.S. I know Nietzsche's not a nihilist don't worry.

I just wrote a criticism of Plato's Republic using major element in Rorty/Prag in which the Ivory Tower of Academia played a significant role.

It was based around the premise that Plato wrote about a society that could not be formed, and his attempts to form it failed, therefore , he was an academic elite (one of the first) and is responsible for all the problems a detached problem-solving approach causes...

A friend of mine took Foucault and turned into an essay on Kafka. I don't remember what grade he got

While I didn't actually use a kritik directly, a few bits of things I picked up while studying the K at camp ended up in an in-class essay about Chaplain Tappman in Catch-22. Resistance to institutions for the sake of sanity, etc, etc, etc.

I'm currently writing an English paper on hegemony bad and my partner used the gitmo aff to write the entirety of her end of year project last year.

We have to be careful though because the first thing out of our teachers' mouthes when they announce a paper is that "current and recent debate topics are prohibited."