Sign in to follow this  
Brainstorm

Racism will never go away... got ev?

Hey guys-

I'm a freshman in college now and I've got a research thesis to do for my english class. I wanted to do something debate-related, because I figured that would produce the most readily available good research, so I choose to argue that racism is entrenched in both American and global society and can never be defeated. If you guys have anything along these lines, like stuff against Korematsu saying overturning won't work, anything like that, I'd really appreciate it.

I love you all.

I think that would be Hollow Hope? Like Courts are ineffective and useless, its the social movements that create real change. Would that be the type of cards you're looking for?

No, I'm looking for evidence that says that racism is so entrenched in society, like in people's minds and subconcious, and also openly in some social groups, that imagining a world without racism is just that- imagination. Basically, that it's both taught so much and it's so subconciously psychologically inherent that it can never be entirely wiped out. Catch my drift?

No, I'm looking for evidence that says that racism is so entrenched in society, like in people's minds and subconcious, and also openly in some social groups, that imagining a world without racism is just that- imagination. Basically, that it's both taught so much and it's so subconciously psychologically inherent that it can never be entirely wiped out. Catch my drift?

try CRT authors. i'm not sure they'd make that exact claim, but it'd probably come pretty close, and it'd pretty nuanced and detailed.

look on lexis for articles by

richard delgado

kimberle crenshaw

derrick bell

There are cards that say you can never change the mindset of the racist ideologies within people themselves, but I'm pretty sure there's no evidence that says racism will always exist. Eventually, that is if we don't extinct ourselves (which has yet to happen...), the global population will all be one race.

There are cards that say you can never change the mindset of the racist ideologies within people themselves, but I'm pretty sure there's no evidence that says racism will always exist. Eventually, that is if we don't extinct ourselves (which has yet to happen...), the global population will all be one race.

That kind of stuff would help. Though, I don't believe we'll ever be one race.

are you looking for cards saying like we are all racist and that will never go away -OR- despite the wishes of everyone in the world, we are somewhat racialy aware on a sub-consience level? i like the second one better.. what are you specifically thinking....

both. i'm looking at it from both a historical and a psychological perspective.

historical, in that it's so ingrained in history and it's still taught in some places, directly or indirectly, and this can never be overcome.

pyschological, in that it's a primitive defense mechanism to seperate oneself from any other being that is "different."

I can't do anything if you don't give me your email address. Also, it's inevitable that at one point, we will ALL become one race.

I think this is what you are looking for? It's talking about racial profiling, but it should be fine for your paper.

Nelson Lund, Professor of Law @ George Mason University, 2003, Albany Law Review, (http://web.lexisnexis.com/universe/document?_m=017ce3d7386332e0e0135e8bcad6c56b&_docnum=1&wchp=dGLbVlz-zSkVA&_md5=4290a6ca3132ed43567ad8aeb7dc7a23 )

This practice is just a particular example of the more general phenomenon of racial or ethnic stereotyping. n11 We all see, or believe we see, that certain characteristics are not randomly distributed throughout the population. Some of these patterns indubitably reflect reality. Other patterns that many people believe that they see might not in fact exist. But there are enough statistically large differences among racial groups that stereotyping is not always or merely the result of prejudice or thoughtlessness.

In fact, I think, we cannot help noticing some of these patterns, and we cannot help being influenced by them. I'll just offer one piece of evidence for this proposition. A few years ago, Jesse Jackson made the following statement: "There is nothing more painful for me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start to think about robbery and then look around and see it's somebody white and feel relieved. How humiliating." n12

Jesse Jackson was obviously not motivated by prejudice against black people. He was simply admitting that he had noticed what official statistics confirm; namely, that blacks commit robbery at much higher rates than whites do. n13 The stereotype that Jackson [*333] was employing is accurate in a statistical or probabalistic sense - even though it's also true that most blacks are not robbers and that almost half of all robbers are white. n14

Obviously, that leaves lots of questions about what actions people should or should not take on the basis of such statistically accurate stereotypes. My only point here is that people inevitably become aware that there are differences among racial and ethnic groups and that people inevitably take account of these differences - even if they try not to do so. Of course, it is also true that our natural habit of noticing different patterns or tendencies among groups sometimes leads us to employ stereotypes that are not statistically

accurate. Furthermore, both accurate and inaccurate stereotypes may operate at a subconscious level. n15

Try to get "Faces at the Bottom of the Well; The Permanence of Racism" by Derrick Bell. I cut the book this year, and he doesn't really give too many great cards in the book, but a lot of it is a rather unique writing style that he has that gives analysis and warrants as to why racism IS permanent in our society. It's an insightful read that I would suggest, plus, it sounds almost exactly like what you're looking for.

Sign in to follow this