charliet@ng

neg positions brain storm

helping people bad DA

there is a helping people bad argument, but its a k. helping people is giving them rights. That's an agamben link. W0000000000t!

there is a helping people bad argument, but its a k. helping people is giving them rights. That's an agamben link. W0000000000t!

wow someone likes their agamben. God the WGLF were right, agamben is the britney spears of debate. helping people is not neccesarigly giving them rights, agianst experienced agamben debaters that could be a tough argument to win

Elliott is a very experienced Agamben debater.

Some negative positions for next year:

There is some old but pretty good evidence from Ivan Illich saying Peace Corps bad. It also ties in to . . .

Neo-colonialism

Against cases using adults to help kids, how about a PEC saying "do plan, but exclude persons who do not pass the pedophile background check." Probably vulnerable to a perm, though.

How about a personnel drain disadvantage. I don't know if there is link evidence, but you might argue that the number of people willing to serve is relatively finite, making competition for them a zero-sum game. If Americorps is more attractive, for example, fewer people will join the military. Fewer volunteers equals a draft. Draft bad.

you could just argue that the aff will increase militarism and justify current policies like a first-strike on Iran also that it kills soft power and will cause bad relations with China (counterbalance arguement) or any other generic militarism bad files. Also use Heg arguements

• Downvote 1

cp private funds people like bill gates

but that is hard to prove that it is mutually exclusive.

Elliott is a very experienced Agamben debater.

Some negative positions for next year:

There is some old but pretty good evidence from Ivan Illich saying Peace Corps bad. It also ties in to . . .

Neo-colonialism

Against cases using adults to help kids, how about a PEC saying "do plan, but exclude persons who do not pass the pedophile background check." Probably vulnerable to a perm, though.

How about a personnel drain disadvantage. I don't know if there is link evidence, but you might argue that the number of people willing to serve is relatively finite, making competition for them a zero-sum game. If Americorps is more attractive, for example, fewer people will join the military. Fewer volunteers equals a draft. Draft bad.

never said he wasn't, i was posting that as a warning to the many inexperienced agamben debaters out there who might want to run that position.

the sounds interesting but like you said it is likely suseptable to a perm but if your a good perm debater...

that d/a actually sounds really interesting. if you can find the link evidence then it would probably be really sweet. but what is the threshold for "attractiveness"?

there's also the gift!

but what is the threshold for "attractiveness"?

If I were running the disadvantage, I would say the threshold is identical with affirmative solvency evidence. Every person they take is one less person who joins the military, or whatever other impact you are running.

If I were running the disadvantage, I would say the threshold is identical with affirmative solvency evidence. Every person they take is one less person who joins the military, or whatever other impact you are running.

thats not a very good threshold, seriously what is the point at which too many people have been taken... what is the magical number?

Please remember during brainstorms of ideas there is no room for non-constructive criticism like "stupid" or "non-competitive up the ass." The idea is to put out as many ideas as possible.

• Downvote 1

thats not a very good threshold, seriously what is the point at which too many people have been taken... what is the magical number?

I guess it depends on which threshold your looking for. If the number you want is how few recruits we need before we get a draft, I imagine there are people who write about that issue, but I haven't looked.

I would be more worried about the link evidence. If you can win that, you can argue that although we might not know exactly where the brink is, every step closer is bad.

yeah for an argument like that i' not sure you need brink evidnece.

you could also read evidence that says x orginization needs x people and put them in a double bind so they either can't S or link to the da.

Please remember during brainstorms of ideas there is no room for non-constructive criticism like "stupid" or "non-competitive up the ass." The idea is to put out as many ideas as possible.

that wasn't my intentions, i was just trying to get a better idea of how it is working.

Birdwing,

Would the link evidence for the attractiveness DA look something like this?

Bandow, 1996

Another potentially important opportunity cost is the diversion of bright men and women from the military. The end of the Cold War has sharply cut recruiting needs, but it has also reduced the perceived national need. As a result, the services have had greater difficulty in attracting quality recruits. Yet various programs of educational benefits have always been an important vehicle for attracting college-capable youth into the military. Providing similar benefits for civilian service is likely to hinder recruiting for what remains the most fundamental form of national service--defending the nation. Surveys have found that a majority of potential recruits would consider joining AmeriCorps rather than the armed forces because they see it as a better way to gain educational assistance.

Birdwing,

Bandow, 1996

Another potentially important opportunity cost is the diversion of bright men and women from the military. The end of the Cold War has sharply cut recruiting needs, but it has also reduced the perceived national need. As a result, the services have had greater difficulty in attracting quality recruits. Yet various programs of educational benefits have always been an important vehicle for attracting college-capable youth into the military. Providing similar benefits for civilian service is likely to hinder recruiting for what remains the most fundamental form of national service--defending the nation. Surveys have found that a majority of potential recruits would consider joining AmeriCorps rather than the armed forces because they see it as a better way to gain educational assistance.

Yes.

I think it would apply to more than Americorps. I think it applies to anything offering educational assistance.

It's better than a lot of disadvantage links I've heard.

Birdwing,

Bandow, 1996

too bad bandow's a hack...

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/dec2005/nf20051216_1037_db016.htm

too bad this isn't applicable for this card.

1-Bandow didn't accept bribes until 97--Our card was written pre-scandal.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/dec2005/nf20051216_1037_db016.htm

"A review of Bandow's columns and other written work shows that he wrote favorably about Abramoff's Indian tribal clients -- as well as another Abramoff client, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands -- as far back as 1997"

2-Our card has factual support--the link extends from a survey not Bandow's opinion.

So this is a totally non-dialectic topic, and as much as I hate it I would run funding costs with overall effectiveness, I don't think that there is much off-case neg on this topic, I'm in the process of writing a research paper on it and the only arguments against anything is for americorps and whether or not this is the correct way to get public service done, which is a terrible argument.... but yeah.

So this is a totally non-dialectic topic, and as much as I hate it I would run funding costs with overall effectiveness, I don't think that there is much off-case neg on this topic, I'm in the process of writing a research paper on it and the only arguments against anything is for americorps and whether or not this is the correct way to get public service done, which is a terrible argument.... but yeah.

dude there's always off case, even if its norm.

...offcase args:

cp: different part of rez

militarism k (for armed services)

helping people da

there's more, but that's all i could think of in 2 seconds. Besides there's alot of stuff that won't be around until after camps. Last year I hadn't even considered an AIDS aff before camp.

Ok I take it back, there are no off case arguments that directly apply to the topic at hand, the topic is completley one sided, it's a toss up, anything running programs in freedom corps is a good thing- for the people recieving the service and for the people giving the service. I don't know about you guys but I am getting sick of running the 'norm', Biopower, Militarism, terrorism, spanos, racism ect. I am so sick and tired of running the same arguments, doesn't it defeat the purpose of the debate? I don't know I guess this really isn't helping the whole 'brainstorming' thing, but I've nothing for this topic yet, anything that applies directly anyways.