allred

Does anyone have parents who hate them debating?

Do your parents approve of you debating?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Do your parents approve of you debating?

• Yes
    • No

yeah my parents dont like the fact that all i do is debate and i neglect all things regarding school and pretty much anything else but church.....but they also like it when i win so....its weird...but for now theyre just like whatever...oh and to add on to the reasons youre parents hate debate...

You run through ink cartriges in a week

You ask them to buy good pens and highlighters and expandos every week

oh man, i totaly agree.

my coach makes me print out extemp articles and my parents get furious.

:) on the other hand, our extemp files are really good because of that.

My parents are constantly pulling the "stop debating me card", so I think that may have a great deal to do with it. I truly don't completely understand that, but then again, part of the reason they may not like it is because they don't understand debate.

same. Also, costs. $$$ = travel/hotel etc = unhappy parents. They aren't big fans of me spending all my time debating either.

The fact that my printer eats through about a cartridge of ink a week annoys my parents.

ooh yeah, i hate that. but i usually print my stuff at the school, it makes things easier...

Our librarians hate that, so now we have to conduct guerrila 'printing raids' during study periods.

Somebody on our team managed to print off a 400-page hegemony file this way in one class - I still have no idea how he did it.

We share a printer with Yearbook and so far, we've broken two of their printers, either directly or indirectly.

hahaha. Us too. We have developed techniques to counter this tho. We print off 5 or so at a time and hide the rest in our bags, that way if they look at the printer they don't see a huge mass of paper.

I've driven my dad to get a laser printer because I had been using our inkjet which was way more expensive and slow, and the ink ruined my highlighters, thus leading to more spending.

the librarians got so mad at us one time, that they aked our superintendent if he could use some funding to get debate a printer...

and we did.

and a bunch of computers!!!

it kicked-A. :D

My dad likes me debating but he's weary of the $ and my mom hates it she tries to start arguments with me, say debate makes me argue with her, and use it as justification to attempt to pull me out of debate. So there are some parahinna filled waters but umma shark.

My parents kinda dislike me being in debate cuz I have gotten pretty dang good @ arguing with them soooo... yea I make the best arguments on why i should b able to do crap and usually win... but yea they don't like debate... or the ppl on my team or my coach... that is w/ the eception of one guy (allred) who my mom is in love with. :)

• Downvote 2

My dad likes me debating but he's weary of the $ and my mom hates it she tries to start arguments with me, say debate makes me argue with her, and use it as justification to attempt to pull me out of debate. So there are some parahinna filled waters but umma shark.

?

my dad hates debate so much that:

A. he wont let me practice in our house and,

B. he refuses to come to the TOC with me and,

C. he constantly complains that i should spend the summer with him, and not hanging out with "nerds"

D. he calls me a nerd.

P.S. my dad is a 250 lb., 5' 8" lardo who is terrible at sports and would epitomize nerdiness, so he has even digressed to hypocrisy at this point.

Your dad sucks. Tell him a big "fuck you" from me.

My mom approves, but my dad hates it. He thinks children(girls mostly) shouldn't be involved in politics. He thinks it's for men and adults. He hated when Nacy Pelosi won speaker of the house. He was furrious for days.

My parents hate it because...

A) I know too much about politics

B) I've developed a thing for nuke war, the economy, and Foucault

C) I practice this more than the piano

D) I talk way too fast and with quite a high vocabulary for their coherency

E) I spend hours cutting files

F) I'm loosing weight

G) I'm not that good, so they think it's a waste of time

H) I have that many friends anymore...

• Downvote 1

my parents hate that i debate. mostly for the fact that when they try to argue with me, i always win. Then they tell me to shut up, so i do. =[ I submit to the authority=[[[[

• Downvote 1

I would have to say that its a love/hate relationship, between themselves and debate, as they love the fact that I'm doing something that enjoy, but they hate the fact that I can now beat them in arguements, so that there's a lot more yelling in our household once I demolish their arguements.

• Downvote 1

LOL my librarians are nazis. I managed to print off a couple files this year, and when they caught me they made me pay them money for the paper. Ugh.

My parents are indifferent, although they constantly hold expulsion from debate over my head as a punishment. Anyone else's parents do this?

lol, yes...my mother does it rather often--although she's always relented in the end after i told her that she's not punishing me, she's punishing my partner and the entire team.

• Downvote 1

My parents hate it because...

A) I know too much about politics

B) I've developed a thing for nuke war, the economy, and Foucault

C) I practice this more than the piano

D) I talk way too fast and with quite a high vocabulary for their coherency

E) I spend hours cutting files

F) I'm loosing weight

G) I'm not that good, so they think it's a waste of time

H) I have that many friends anymore...

im your friend

my parents don't hate debate, but they hated the means by which i started debate.

my dad played and coached football for the first 35 years of his life, so when i quit football in favor of debate, i officially had destroyed the meaning of "Like father, like son". and well... my dad prefers me lifting weights and doing running speed drills than lifting tubs and doing speaking speed drills.

my mom just doesn't like it that i skip out on orchestra concerts due to debate tournaments.

fuck it... debate kicks ass.