allred

Does anyone have parents who hate them debating?

Do your parents approve of you debating?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Do your parents approve of you debating?

• Yes
    • No

My parents really don't care one way or the other - they don't really get debate, nor bother to, and I don't really mind. It allows a certain amount of ininhibited freedom of activity.

In other words, I hated it when they forced me to play sports as a kid. But I'm not bitter. Okay, just a little.

as my dad debated back in the day, my parents are fine with me debating, infact, they like that im debating... ive learned stuff about GOP(EWWW!!!) and the Democrats that i prolly wouldnt have otherwise...

I think this shows the sad irony is parenting: Most parents will do w/e they can to see their child succeed if they don't have to go out of their way to make it happen.

My dad just complains for the sake of complaining whenever I need him to write a check, besides that I have my parents' full support.

My parents don't paricularly hate debate, they hate the amount of time I spend on it. I work on debate more the I sleep and when they wake up at midnight and find me working on debate they can get pretty mad. When I win tournaments and bring home speaker awards they don't seem as angry.

My parents hate it. My dad hates having to drive me to and fro practices and tournaments. He's always pulling the "don't debate me" card. He seems to think I'm going to get kidnapped or something at a tournament. He's way over protective. He thinks were all kids that shouldn't be out that late. They don't get why I like it. They don't support me in it the way other people on my teams' parents do. I feel like the only one who's parents don't care about debate. This is a cool thread b/c now I feel less alone on this. l8ter.

~Kate~

My parents dislike the money that goes into it, the time I spent away from my social life and academics. Yet at the same time, they love that I am doing something good with my time etc.

My dad thinks I need to find an interest that "won't end when you graduate"...I don't think he understands that college debate exists, and the concept of judging for other schools after graduation. My mom thinks it's a great chance to get a scholarship and stuff.

My parents don't necessarily hate me for debating, but they do seem to pull the "you shouldn't argue with us just because you debate" card quite often. It's rather annoying when any and every sort of dispute ends in them bashing debate, blaming it for "corrupting" me to speak out against them. Hell, it's not even about big stuff, either; they hark at the smallest of small things. Yeesh.

My parents HATE it. esp my mom. she thinks it has no educational vaule (BS). Mind you, this is the same women who told me to talk Adv Math....which i FAILED. She thinks that math and sci are the only worthful things on the planet. We have our State forensics tourney this comming Friday. My parents won't let me go. And I've really worked hard. It hurts...:(

Exactly! My parents are both scientists. Whenever I get a A- in Analytic Geometry, I have to stop debate/forensics until I get it up to a A (which has made really good at cramming for tests, but makes me really mad all the same.) They view debate kind of scornfully, saying stuff like, "Debate. Like that's going to help you in your life."

My dad really likes it. My mom doesn't like the fact that im not a perfect little conservative angel anymore, but that has little to do with debate. My only other qualm would be the "Master Debator" jokes.

A little predjudiced from debating "back in the day" but was so proud when my daughter decided to debate at the same HS. She's in college but comes back to chaperone etc. We go to almost every tournment and are the team parents. Even have an "adopted" son with us whom we love very much. Guess maybe it's strange but this has become a family thing. Besides, I'd much rather be flowing debate with my husband and daughter on a Saturday night than sitting home glued to the "idiot box". Out kids keep us on our toes mentally and physically. What's not to like???

• Downvote 2

My parents think that debate is a good activity but they hate that all the money they have to spend on it (especially for camp and for traveling) and the fact that I spend more time on it than I do my schoolwork (despite the fact that it doesn't affect my grades).

My parents don't really care, but we don't do the National Circut. It really doesn't cost them anything, so they don't have a problem..

They don't really support me, but they never say anything to get me to stop, so I guess my parents are semi-neutral? I'm sure they'd complain if they had to pay money..

My parents don't like debate either. They don't think it's going to help with anything, and they don't like politics in general.

And my parents always use that "don't use your debate on me" card every time.....

*sigh* My parents don't like any of the Model Congress, Model UN, policy debate, or Mock Trial things I do. oh well...

well my parents are okay like my dad loves the fact that i am in debate cause i want to be a lawyer and yeah it makes sense

but my mothers only problem is that i spend more time on debate than school work and my grades are slipping and when i told my mom i am going to do it in collage she told me not the way ur going right now u spend more time with debate than school work

but other than that my parents have no problem with debate

My parents love the fact that I do debate. Any parent who does not support their child in debate should be shot.

MY parents understand how much I love debate...I have also made it clear that if they attempt to stop me from debating I will refuse t do any school work until i can debate again....

kinda...

they like me debating - just not the grade drop...

same with my parents. last year i had all A's and now.. im failing algebra 2....im reaally retarded i know...

reasons why my parents hate debate.. (add on if you wish)

1) my grades suck cuz i dont have time to do any actual work

2) they cant go out on the weekend because they have to wait untill i get back from tournaments

3) giving me rides to and from school at unholy hours

4) i do speed drills in the living room :)

5) it costs a lot of money..and we arent exactly rich.

6) apparently, it "corrupts" my innocent mind because debaters are inherently evil

7) how i never spend time at home anymore.

yeah my parents dont like the fact that all i do is debate and i neglect all things regarding school and pretty much anything else but church.....but they also like it when i win so....its weird...but for now theyre just like whatever...oh and to add on to the reasons youre parents hate debate...

You run through ink cartriges in a week

You ask them to buy good pens and highlighters and expandos every week