allred

Does anyone have parents who hate them debating?

Do your parents approve of you debating?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Do your parents approve of you debating?

• Yes
    • No

My mother has been trying to get me quit debate for a while but she's finally gotten the idea that I won't, so she's trying to get me to take fewer AP classes. It's because I'm having trouble keeping up in my AP class now since I spend so much time on debate, but eh, debate's just so much more fun.

Debate hasn't been a financial issue yet because our team hasn't been going to tournaments where our parents have to pay. But next year might be different since we'll be debating more on the national circuit.

Transportation's an issue though. My mother refuses to drive at night because she can't see well at night and she's bad with directions and driving anyways, so we get in a lot of fights about getting me to and from tournaments.

Luckily my coach has agreed that if we are good enough he will pay for everything to go to a tournament. But since im a freshman ive only gone to the local cheap tounaments. My parent support me in debate but i dont really know how they would react to asking for alot of money for a camp.

My parents really support me a lot. They are willing to do almost anything to make sure that I get to every tournament that I want to go to.

My parents don't mind me debating, but they hate all of the stuff i learn because it is making me a "liberal hippie" and my brothers think I'm gay because I'm not on the football team. But other then that my family has a pretty good additude towards debate

I voted yes in the poll because when i was in highschool I'm a colledge Junior now my parents didn't hate debate untill I decided to stop playing football (i'm from alabama and football is life down hear). The thing they did not like was mentioned earlier. They did not like how it tought free thinking skills. Mainly that I became ultra liberal. Which I still am to this day. The funny thing is that debate is not the only thing that does this to people. When I was in highschool some partents tried to get our philosophy teach fierd becasue he tought us to question religus dogma. That is not a good thing in the buckel of the bible belt. They love debate now though because they have never had to pay for a semester of colledge. So like shaumen said cut them a little slack and they will eventually see the many benifites that outway the small negatives.

• Downvote 1

My parents don't like my participation in debate. They dont like the fact that it takes away a lot of my time. I do tend to do debate stuff when i should be doing other stuff for school so my grades have dropped slightly. They tried to give me some crap about how its corrupting because people say that my coach is poisoning our minds(like we are a cult).

They just cant grasp what i love about it. They think its just a competition where you read fast but dont care to take the time to actually see what i get out of it.

same here my parents think its a cult and that our coach is posioning our minds and that i need to stay home and spend time with the family because they give me a long tangent about how when i go to college i will regret not spending time with them and stuff like that, but the funny thing is that they are the ones that like insisted me to try this out and now i really enjoy it and they want to take it away from me.

My parents like debate a lot. They think it helps me think better, and I could use the skills I obtain through it, ex. logical analysis, will help later on in life. They're even willing to pay the thousands for the debate camps. Of course, they don't know what it's really like, the speed talking and seclusion, but they like the results anyways.

My dad hates debate when it comes down to buying crap for it.

But, beyond that, I really don't understand why parents would be against the idea.

However, think about how much parents perceive having to "go through" for their child to debate. If their kid is a sophomore or younger, in most cases, they have to go through the hassel of providing transportation to squad meetings, tournaments (whether from the school or maybe even to the site). If their kid debates nationally @ most schools, they have to pay traveling fees, etc. Debate becomes a very expensive, and time-consuming endeavor, especially for the parent who was unlucky enough to have a kid who doesn't want to put on a football uniform and call that their high-school calling.

I think the problem is a lack of parents perceiving how much debate can benefit their child - normally, the school's don't help much in this matter, normally treating the parent's questions about debate as an issue that isn't worth giving much thought to, oftentimes because the assumption is that the parent should be in full support of any and everything their child does. This often leads to the parents feeling like their voice doesn't matter, only making the situation worse.

I think it's a problem in most debate, and the first step should simply be to aknowledge that parents do exist.

or you could debate and still put on that football uniform. it conflicts, very slightly. but when it's football season. that comes first. debate goes from september to march. football goes from september to beginning of november.

*i was on jv, so that could make a difference. jv games are on thursday, so it didn't conflict with friday. we'll see about this year though on varsity.

long beach and usc are good tournaments, aka national circuit. damien is ok, just shy of national circuit. northridge is a novice tournament, it's for the newbies to learn. but later in the season, after football, look at all of them. the glenbrooks, asu, redlands, stanford, berkeley, harker, etc. u of o is an ok tournament. as well as csuf.

A friend of mine had parents that didnt like that she was out late, so i told them that being in a safe environment like a school was much better than the alternative of her being out and about on a friday night.

It seemed to work, though i know its a lame excuse

My parents HATE it. esp my mom. she thinks it has no educational vaule (BS). Mind you, this is the same women who told me to talk Adv Math....which i FAILED. She thinks that math and sci are the only worthful things on the planet. We have our State forensics tourney this comming Friday. My parents won't let me go. And I've really worked hard. It hurts...:(

• Downvote 1

My parents hated it when i went on trips. They liked the idea of debate, but couldn't understand why i didn't stay home on the weekends, like a good girl. That, and every time i asked my dad for moeny for a trip, he'd be like, "This is coming out of your college funding."

good national circuit/anything actually worth attending is later. local tournaments don't do anything.

except give you time to practice and qual. for nationals.

yeah...my parents hate me debating and as someone said earlier, they are always pulling the "don't debate me" card. they think that because you're in debate it automatically entitles them to say things like that. i don't know if they understand the fact that those little comments about being a "debate nerd" really hurt.

i love my parents but they just don't understand how someone can love something like debate as much as i do. they think it's weird that i would rather spend my weekend with my debate team then with them...i love my debate team and i love my parents...but sometimes you just gotta make that choice between them and it's a really horrible thing to have to choose between.

My parents were afraid that forensics would take time away from studying for my regular classes and cause my grades to suffer even though the year that I joined the team was the year that I got straight As. They especially did not like it when I was piling on top of that APs and other extracurricular stuff like Mock Trial, Science Oympiad, and Academic Decathlon. I pulled the "everyone else on the team is doing it and acing all their classes too" card, and they rebutted with "you are not as smart as them, so don't push yourself too hard."

My parents could not afford to put me on their auto insurance and my dad tried to get me to quit by refusing to drive me to meetings and tournaments. I was forced to mooch rides off of other people.

• Downvote 1

my parents like the fact that im in debate, and i like it, and i want to continue it in college.

the only problem is that they are conservative, and so was i, at least until debate. it was a gradual thing but i pretty much just learned about things and naturally became more progressive, especially on social issues. later on in my career, i became even more of a dirty liberal, because i went to UTNIF, and became a dirty K debater. they think ive been corrupted or something and we get in arguments alot. ive also pretty much become an atheist and they arent happy about that.

are these things because of debate? i dont know, my liberalism most likely. my atheism? who knows. They overgeneralize it and blame it all on debate.

i guess im in a unique situation also, because im such a K debater, other more policy oriented kids may have a different experience.

• Downvote 1