Green M&Mz

Debate and Dating

I've seen a lot of relationships between debaters start up ever since I began debating. It makes sense, to a point, because at tournaments we spend so much time together, and can get to know each other very well. It's also hard to start up a relationship when one is gone every weekend for a large portion of the year. But what happens when the competition gets heated? It poses a serious problem, not only for the two in the relationship, but for the team and/or coach. Should debaters not be allowed to date each other?

i think debating withing the debate community is awesome. there are really no problems with that. as a matter of fact, the first girl i ever had a crush on was my old debate partner, but i guess she didnt like me so she said no at this valentine's day. but this caused this awkardness at the debate tourneys. so i guess, u r right when u say that relationships withing debate can cause problems.

• Downvote 1

Its really no different than when you date someone from your group of friends. It can lead to awkwardness or it can be great. It has nothing to do with debate and everything to do with the two people involved.

Ehh, winning isn't everything. Go ahead and date a debater. My girlfriend and i have had a great relationship, and somehow, we've managed to never debate each other since we've been dating. Debated each other twice last year, but missed over the course of 7 or 8 tournaments

i dated a partner once. it wuz cool and she wuz really nice about it when we were partners but the next year she got partnered with some other chick. practice rounds were a bitch. we broke up after a fight at a tournament cuz she and jess passed over my new partner and i. it wuz stupid and it sucked. but i have seen successful relationships between debators. like my new partner & her boyfriend get along really well but it probbly helps that hes an ld debater

• Downvote 1

My girlfriend is my debate partner so... that's weird. Sometimes it's difficult to balance work and stuff. Especially cause like, say not as much work is getting done as it should be, you can't be like "you need to get that shit done" cause you have the other non-debate relationship when you're nice and understanding.

Then we've been on a few "breaks", which makes things awkward. Ironically we've got first and second when we were broken up, but then we also didn't debate for a tourney cause of it... or rather I didn't get to debate for a tourney cause of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i tend to stay away from falling for my partner because of the complications and the competition.

however...

that didn't work, i fell for him, just this once.

but...nope.

my advice: be careful.

depending on what you value more (debate vs. guys) you can really screw stuff up; i think it's kinda selfish to have a relationship inside debate. you can mess it up for everyone.

• Downvote 1

I dont think it can work you will just get in fight over the debate round. Also when you break up it will just make it awkward for you and everyone on your team. Plus if he/she is your partner and you break up that will make tournments hell.

• Downvote 1

"ohh...it just made me so hott the way you link turned that politics scenario. lets go work on our spreading"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

just to get in fights then. why bother starting a relationship that wont go anywhere :S if u want to date her, make it work and dont get in fights then..

• Downvote 1

my new partner & her boyfriend get along really well but it probbly helps that hes an ld debater

He knows what he values in a relationship. <_<

• Upvote 1

My debate partner dates a girl on our team and at first, he had trouble working on debate at practice because he spent so much of his energy on her. I kept yelling at him for it and at first, he would just ignore me and that upset me because we were actually really close as friends before he started dating her. Anyways, I've kept yelling at him about it and he's gotten better about focusing on debate at practice.

I know a lot of fun stories that I could relate to this thread but the people involved would find out and then find ways to hurt me.

I've never dated any debaters and I don't think I can relate to the team part either becasue my team consists of...

1 short pudgy Puerto Rican guy who spreads like a mother but refuses to talk to anybody outside of debate rounds

1 5'10 98 pound anorexic guy (my debate partner)

1 popular attractive girl

and me

In all my experience with seeing debate relationships (mostly at camp), they always seem to work out O.K. High school is pretty much a crap shoot anyway, the only reason we date is to learn how and experiment.

I've never dated any debaters and I don't think I can relate to the team part either becasue my team consists of...

1 short pudgy Puerto Rican guy who spreads like a mother but refuses to talk to anybody outside of debate rounds

1 5'10 98 pound anorexic guy (my debate partner)

1 popular attractive girl

and me

In all my experience with seeing debate relationships (mostly at camp), they always seem to work out O.K. High school is pretty much a crap shoot anyway, the only reason we date is to learn how and experiment.

and because of all those raging hormones...

i think you need to elaborate on "...and me"

are you really all that bad?