I've been looking into camps, and UTNIF came up. I found their website, but I wanted to ask around, and see if anyone here knows anything about what the camp is like to attend. Does anyone know how good of a camp it is? I know that it specializes in arguments outside the mainstream, but are there any other things that make it different from other camps?

Britt I was kind of doing a little bit of research about it on their site. And it looks as if there are two different routes to choose from. One is the "Experienced Seminars" thing which would be aimed at someone of your level (people who want to just get more in depth with things like critical arguments and already have mastered the basics.) and it looks like it's a lot more lectures than anything else. And then there's the "Marathon" thing which looks like it would be aimed at someone like me who needs help with T and CPs and kritiks and such, and the people who choose this do a lot of debating (I think it said there were two tournaments during the camp) but there are still some lectures to attend. So this one is more of a balance between lectures and actual debating. That's what I got off of the site anyway.

And call me tonight when you get home so we can talk about this more. <3

its awsome. What kind of debate is in your area/ what kind of debate do you like?

We have a variety of debate in my area. I generally like to run a critical aff with a policy basis, and a counterplan or kritik on the Neg. I ran DADT this year, and I used cards from UTNIF's file.

Britt I was kind of doing a little bit of research about it on their site. And it looks as if there are two different routes to choose from. One is the "Experienced Seminars" thing which would be aimed at someone of your level (people who want to just get more in depth with things like critical arguments and already have mastered the basics.) and it looks like it's a lot more lectures than anything else. And then there's the "Marathon" thing which looks like it would be aimed at someone like me who needs help with T and CPs and kritiks and such, and the people who choose this do a lot of debating (I think it said there were two tournaments during the camp) but there are still some lectures to attend. So this one is more of a balance between lectures and actual debating. That's what I got off of the site anyway.

And call me tonight when you get home so we can talk about this more. <3

That's actually quite a bad conception of the camp. Both deal with T, CPs, Ks etc. on some level but that's not necessarilly the focus of the camp. Experienced is a lot of learning to cut [better] cards and doing research while Marathon has a greater focus on actual practice. You get about 20-30 rounds altogether in Marathon including a Marathon only tournament and the Plan 1 tournament which includes the Experienced kids.

In the last week everyone does Neg gripes [uT language for negative positions] so everyone gets some practice cutting cards and forming arguments.

Regardless of which you do you will learn a lot. I went to Marathon and had a blast and will probably go again, I also know people who went Experienced and they loved the camp too. So, whatever you choose is going to be a good option.

The UTNIF is awesome and all about what you are willing to put into it. I attended camp for three years and each year I had the best lab leaders and learned something to greatly improve my debating.

So, the break down:

Marathon plan one: lots of debating practice and argumentation practice. My lab leaders were CEDA champions and NDT first-round bid debaters. I had a ton of practice rounds and rebuttal redos and mini debates, anything to improve your speaking/ argumentation skills, the utnif does.

Plan two: My lab leaders were my debate idols, I loved every minute. If you are a really big nerd like me, you will go to lab early, bring all your files (I had back problems for a while after camp, it's a ton of paper), have the files organized the first night, do speed drills before even the lab leaders show up and carry around a notebook to write down strats and judge kritiks.

Experienced: Lots of card cutting. I'm still not the best card cutter, but I am better than my junior year. Still the best lab leaders (like NDT champs and my debate idol!) and the best lectures (especially the cp lecture, I hate cps, but it was a good lecture).

I know a ton of people who went to other camps after utnif and like utnif better, if not the best out of all the camps they attended. The website is great (http://www.utdebatecamp.com) for info on staff, but if you want to im me about camp, I’m Liz (lizz1287) or email (lizz1287@aol.com) or whatever. I hope you go to utnif, it’s the best ever!

I've been looking into camps, and UTNIF came up. I found their website, but I wanted to ask around, and see if anyone here knows anything about what the camp is like to attend. Does anyone know how good of a camp it is? I know that it specializes in arguments outside the mainstream, but are there any other things that make it different from other camps?

PM Ashley, she went to UTNIF last year and she says it helped her a bunch

hey, i've been to UTNIF before, i wanted to go to supersession but was honestly wondering what the real difference (other than the amounts of practice rounds) between marathon and experience...which one is really better and if experience is better is it worth the 450 extra dollars

Neither is better than the other, it all depends on what you want from camp. If you want better research skills and card cutting ability [which you will get Plan 2 anyways] than go with Experienced, if you want more in round ability than do Marathon.

Either way, they are both really good camps with really good lab leaders.

UTNIF is very good for its price. The camp tends to be a bit K heavy (the staff and the curriculum), but they don't neglect some of the more straight up arguments. Everything at UTNIF is done on a flexible basis. You get to choose which affirmative and negative positions you wish to research and you get to choose from many lecture 'pods' that cover various topics. This allows people who want to get experience with straight up arguments a chance to do so. Other than that, if you want to learn the K, UTNIF has a fantastic staff to teach you to do so. A quick peek at the faculty list seems to indicate that atleast half the staff have reached the outrounds of the NDT on critical positions.

I'll be there, Plan 1 marathon again. I hope Big Dave comes back.

Which session is better for Marathon: Plan 1 or Plan 2?

Do you still get the CP, K, T, etc. lectures in plan 2 that you get in Plan 1?

I'm considering going back again this year for marathon plan 1 again and I know that Josh and Michael had talked about coming back too...so had Molly but I havent heard from her for a long time. *tear* :sob:

As far as I know Molly plans on going to Supersession so you will definitely see her there.

As for whether Plan 1 Marathon is different from Plan 2, I don't know. This is the first year they have had Marathon both sessions. I would assume, however, they would have the same type of lectures at both sessions.

Based off of my very limited search on the camp site I have discovered that in Plan 2 you also cut an AFF whereas in Plan 1 you only cut a negative. As far as I can tell, that is really the only difference.

UT is an amazing experience. It's hard to say that any one thing is the "best" part of it, but for me it was the fact that I got 21 rounds and was there for 21 days. Not just that, but the judges weren't just there to give an RFD, but to actually analyze the round and explain how to make it go down better. I learned how to give a 1AR after one of my rounds, it was sweet. I can't express how amazing the staff there is. It seems that the UTNIF only hires nice, intelligent and helpful people, because that was my experience. Everyone there is amazing, hands down amazing. You can also really learn about whatever you want to. I suppose UTNIF has a reputation for being K oriented, but I'm not sure that's necessarily accurate. Yes, there are folks there that can do amazing things with the K and teach you all sorts of fun stuff, but there are just as many folks that can teach you how to crush people on a CP/DA debate. I absolutely loved every lab leader I had, they were all awesome awesome folks. All in all, fantastic experience. I can't even put it into words other than to say: I'm going back.

On a side note: I love my lab :). T-Ferg is probably my lover and Teddy Cross is my favorite humyn ever.

On a side note: I love my lab :). T-Ferg is probably my lover and Teddy Cross is my favorite humyn ever.

silly zack... i'm not a person

for experienced its longer and you get a camp tournament, im pretty sure.

im sure if they put a phone number on there if you call it they'll be happy to answer any of your questions

Good try but no. All sessions have a camp tournament. Plan 2 is more expensive because it is a few days longer.

Plan 1 = 19 days

Plan 2 = 23 days