SPREZZIDENT

NCAA Men's Tournament

Does anyone think this year's tournament is going to have a very few number of upsets and cinderellas? I guess the main problem is teams who are not deserving (Utah St, Air Force) got in over teams that could produce upsets.

It's hard to say certain teams aren't deserving. In the end, there is no golden rule determining who gets in. The 65 teams that impress the selection committee get into the tournament, so if you don't get in, you don't deserve to be in, because you didn't do what the system required. And there will be cinderellas.

And Brian, point taken. Gonzaga doesn't function under the concept most people think of when they hear "team". But head to head, they match up fine. They won't out-athlete Kansas; few teams can. But who on Kansas is going to stop either Batista or Morrison? Yeah, tops of the court doesn't mean a victory by any stretch, but this isn't an Iverson story. It isn't Morrison without support. Off the top of my head, Batista averages more points than anyone on Kansas' team [if I remember right] and Raivio is above average, too.

This is all probably a waste of time though; last year the huge argument was syracuse or duke, and that game didn't even happen. Here's to hoping I get to see Kansas-Gonzaga...knowing the winner would play Duke, and I'd either get the opportunity to gloat around school, or the opportunity to see the two best players in the nation go at it.

I also really, really want to see Kansas-Bucknell. If I could see that and Duke-Gonzaga, I would have seen all that I wanted to from this season. I wouldn't even need to watch the final game.

[edit: guys, kent was responding to someone who said they should have been a #1. nice work.]

It's hard to say certain teams aren't deserving. In the end, there is no golden rule determining who gets in. The 65 teams that impress the selection committee get into the tournament, so if you don't get in, you don't deserve to be in, because you didn't do what the system required. And there will be cinderellas.

And Brian, point taken. Gonzaga doesn't function under the concept most people think of when they hear "team". But head to head, they match up fine. They won't out-athlete Kansas; few teams can. But who on Kansas is going to stop either Batista or Morrison? Yeah, tops of the court doesn't mean a victory by any stretch, but this isn't an Iverson story. It isn't Morrison without support. Off the top of my head, Batista averages more points than anyone on Kansas' team [if I remember right] and Raivio is above average, too.

This is all probably a waste of time though; last year the huge argument was syracuse or duke, and that game didn't even happen. Here's to hoping I get to see Kansas-Gonzaga...knowing the winner would play Duke, and I'd either get the opportunity to gloat around school, or the opportunity to see the two best players in the nation go at it.

I also really, really want to see Kansas-Bucknell. If I could see that and Duke-Gonzaga, I would have seen all that I wanted to from this season. I wouldn't even need to watch the final game.

[edit: guys, kent was responding to someone who said they should have been a #1. nice work.]

Knowing you, you're going to watch the final game no matter what.

my final four is gonzaga, duke, villanova, and uconn. i've got gonzaga over duke and villanova over uconn. villanova takes it in the final.

brennan

I don't believe the Zags are a #1, bud. Those went to Memphis, Duke, UConn, and 'Nova.

He was replying to a post above him, some dude said they should have been a one seed.

Ya'll should come join the ESPN bracket pool in the Misc. Forum, yo. It'll be fun.

edit: Chris already pointed that out.

He was replying to a post above him, some dude said they should have been a one seed.

Ya'll should come join the ESPN bracket pool in the Misc. Forum, yo. It'll be fun.

edit: Chris already pointed that out.

Yes, ya'll should. ESPN Fantasy games are the shit. No doubt. I'm "Raza Entry" just so everyone knows, in the Bracket Challenge.

Serious? You're going to tell me a team like Air Force did much more to impress the selection committee other than a school like Missouri State. Check out both team's credentials, then get back to me on it.

I didn't say there were going to be any cinderellas....but they wont actually be cinderellas, becuase none are going to make a deep run, possibly not even to the sweet sixteen.

Be afraid of Gonzaga...don't pick them to go far. They are a trendy pick, as they have been for the past few years.

i'm telling you right now that george washington will be in the elite eight at least; though i have them making it to the championship game

; though i have them making it to the championship game

Have fun fucking your bracket by the second round.

Serious? You're going to tell me a team like Air Force did much more to impress the selection committee other than a school like Missouri State. Check out both team's credentials, then get back to me on it.

I didn't say there were going to be any cinderellas....but they wont actually be cinderellas, becuase none are going to make a deep run, possibly not even to the sweet sixteen.

Be afraid of Gonzaga...don't pick them to go far. They are a trendy pick, as they have been for the past few years.

Yeah, I'm going to tell you Air Force did more to impress the committee than Missouri State. The only way to know, of course, would be to look to see which teams the committee sent to the dance. Oh, guess what? Air Force is on the list. Moron. Regardless of what YOU feel should make or break the opportunity to go to the tournament, we KNOW how the committee felt because they picked the teams already. If Air Force is in, Air Force did enough to make the tournament. Quit second-guessing the committee. It makes you look like an idiot, and it makes zero difference.

Bucknell could make the sweet sixteen.

And so what if Gonzaga has choked in the tournament in the past? Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But that team has star power and experience past Bulldogs teams haven't had. Saying not to pick them to advance because that school didn't win last year is like saying you should pick UNC to make the final four because they won it all last year. Teams change. Take it into account.

Morrison Redick would be hot, so I set that game up too

Do you mean hot, as in youll like it when they start making out?

Yeah, I'm going to tell you Air Force did more to impress the committee than Missouri State. The only way to know, of course, would be to look to see which teams the committee sent to the dance. Oh, guess what? Air Force is on the list. Moron. Regardless of what YOU feel should make or break the opportunity to go to the tournament, we KNOW how the committee felt because they picked the teams already. If Air Force is in, Air Force did enough to make the tournament. Quit second-guessing the committee. It makes you look like an idiot, and it makes zero difference.

O really, or could it have been the fact that the WAC and MWC both had reps on the committee? Hmmm, and which two conferneces got at-large bids? And which two at-large teams were the largest question marks for getting in?

Man, you're a fucking idiot. Look like a moron? That's for talking shit like you actually know a fuckin thing about college basketball. I bet you don't even know the fuckin at large profiles of either Air Force, Utah St, or Mo State. Do you? Quit blindly following what the selection committee is telling you to follow, shit, everyone know this was the worst job ever.

And Bucknell looks like it's going to make it to the sweet 16? Yeah, ok.

And so what if Gonzaga has choked in the tournament in the past? Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But that team has star power and experience past Bulldogs teams haven't had. Saying not to pick them to advance because that school didn't win last year is like saying you should pick UNC to make the final four because they won it all last year. Teams change. Take it into account.

no.

it really has nothing to do with last year. or any year in the past, for that matter.

they were the most overrated team in college basketball this year. an important statistic to think about when talking about gonzaga: they were 1-3 against teams that are in the ncaa tournament. and also, they haven't played a good team in almost three months now. and even though they managed to win all of their games in the WCC, they have certainly had moments of vulnerability in an extremely weak conference. they would've been lucky to win 15 games if they were in the big east.

this is somewhat irrelevent, but i don't know why adam morrison has been receiving such a large amount of consideration for player of the year. he just doesn't display the attitude or sportsmanship one looks for in the player of the year. example: against san diego in the wcc tournament, morrison said to cory belser, "you're a role player. did your family come to watch your last game?" in a previous match-up between the two, morrison told belser if he got hit by a train and died, he wouldn't care. funny, considering gonzaga barely squeaked by san diego in two of the three games they played against each other this year.

Ya really. This is a game. The point of the game? To impress the committee members. The teams that play the game the best, make the tournament. Simple concept. So what if the WAC and the MWC have reps on the committee? [first, doesn't make a difference--the MoValley commissioner was on the committee the last time Mo. St. got 'slighted' but hey! we don't hear those details from the people that are bitching about the selection process, do we?] Furthermore, the ACC had a rep on the committee, and their bubble team didn't get in. Hell, the head of the committee is the AD from Virginia. When interviewed by an irate Billy Packer immediately following the selection show, Packer prefaced a question to the effect of said AD's absence from the room when ACC teams were up for debate. Either [a] Packer doesn't know what he was talking about (a sure possibility, given his analysis on the Wisconsin-Arizona matchup before the final bracket was revealed) or representatives from conferences have to leave the hearings on teams in their conferences. If [a] is true, well, okay... we all know Packer's an idiot. If is true, well, okay... we were suspecting you're one, too.

My point is that it doesn't matter who I think should have gotten in. I could probably make a compelling case for zero MoValley at larges getting in if I wanted to. Does it matter? Of course not. Because I realize I'm a high school student who happens to enjoy college basketball, not someone with high standing in the sport and enough reputation to sway things how I see them. I'm fine with that. I don't want to decide who gets into the tournament. I don't see why you're so concerned with it, because you can't change anything. This is a subjective sport. The ESPN and AP polls can't even agree on a top 25 all year, what makes you think anyone would agree on a top 65? In order? It's impossible. You think what you want, I think what I want, but in the end, the teams that impress the committee get in. And they don't have to impress you to do it.

I like Bucknell's experience and deliberate gameplay. I think Arkansas will blow the round one game, and I think we all realize Memphis is vulnerable. I honestly think, in that pod of 4 teams, Bucknell is the best team in a tournament setting.

edit: to tom: ehh.. maybe i read that post wrong, then. i thought he was implying not to pick gonzaga because they're always trendy picks and never last. if that's not the case, then ignore my arguments on that. i think they're vulnerable, too; but look at the bracket they're in. especially if memphis falls early [which i think will happen] they are really the best team in that bracket.

edit: to tom: ehh.. maybe i read that post wrong, then. i thought he was implying not to pick gonzaga because they're always trendy picks and never last. if that's not the case, then ignore my arguments on that. i think they're vulnerable, too; but look at the bracket they're in. especially if memphis falls early [which i think will happen] they are really the best team in that bracket.

ah. no. i was just simply giving reasons as to why you shouldn't pick gonzaga to go far. although, come to think of it, gonzaga's genetic make-up this year is similar to last year, replacing turiaf with batista.

and i disagree that they are the best team in the oakland bracket. i think they are the 5th best team in that bracket. :\

no1s talking about memphis, but they're the only team with enough talent to take on uconn. they remind me a lot of the cuse team (led by melo) that won it a coupl years back. memphis over uconn in the finals

i like their chances. honestly, i really really want to put marquette into the elite eight, but i'm telling myself that's just because i root for their program. i think gonzaga would beat ucla head to head, so that basically puts them into the elite eight. i think the top half of that bracket is positively stacked, but obviously gonzaga will only have to play one of those teams.

edit: memphis and kansas are the two teams that could even come close in trying to just out-talent uconn, i will admit that. but uconn's lost to teams less talented than they are already. i don't really think memphis has a better chance of beating uconn on a neutral site than, say, 'nova, duke, or even teams like boston college.

Chris--I feel the Marquette love. I'm taking them to make the elite eight. They've taken down Pitt and Georgetown and handed UConn their only decisive defeat. This team can beat anyone, especially in a bracket where Memphis or Kansas will do the dirty work of knocking out the other and exhausting themselves. I realize it's not the most likely scenario, but I feel just as good picking Marquette as I do Gonzaga.

UConn is the best pick, but they always have a tough time with big men like Baby Shaq at LSU, Krauser at Pitt, or even Palascios (sp?) at Louisville (he put up something ridiculous like 30 points.) They eaked by those three throughout the season, and they're going to have to outlast a few of the nation's best big men to make it to the Final Four (all the ballers at UAB, Hansburough from UNC, Paul Davis from Michigan State, etc.) I have them losing in the Finals, but regardless, it could be a tough road to get there.

I wonder how you all feel about the Kentucky Wildcats? I'm playing around with them in one of my brackets. I have them going to the final four. Tubby Smith has the experience but some of his players don't. So I'm not too sure. I think they have a decent chance to get to the final four if they beat UCONN in their second round. What do ya'll think?

i love kentucky. i got to see rajon rondo in action at the guardians classic this year and it was incredible.

but they draw uconn round two, tournament over. [even assuming they can get by squeaky.. remember, uab's scheme beat kentucky's scheme a few years ago, and kentucky had better players then.]