178 members have voted

1. 1. If there were a draft what would you do

• enlist beforhand
    • leave the country
    • Claim to be gay
    • allow yourself to be drafted
    • Commit suicide
    • Find another way to dodge

Then the question arrises as to how a country would protect its people without protection by the people.

I agree that the call for patriotic action is, within itself, an unpatriotic action, but im not sure about how the vice-versa deal would work out

Well, if it is the state's job to protect the people's rights to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", a draft clearly violates that responsibility as it is forcing someone to risk their life. The state can ask that the people protect the state, but to force a person to risk their life to protect it is a violation of the state's responsibility.

If there aren't enough people in the US willing to enlist in the armed forces then:

1) Either there aren't enough people who support the war and are of the right age for enlistment to fight it, in which case the government should look into ending the conflict (or shouldn't have started it in the first place)

2) Or not enough people care enough to enlist (once again a signal that the majority of voters aren't in support of the war)

There isn't really a vice-versa: It's up to the state to protect the people, but it's up to the people to provide the means.

There isn't really a vice-versa: It's up to the state to protect the people, but it's up to the people to provide the means.

Exactly my point :)

And just because I don't want to die doesn't make me a pussy, or unpatriotic. It means I don't want to die, and anyone who dies to "protect my safety" is doing so without ever asking me whether or not I wanted them to protect it. "Patriotic duty" is some of the worst bullshit I've ever heard. It's a country's duty to protect its people, NOT vice-versa.

So whos gonna protect the country, robots???? A "country" is nothing but a section of land that people decide to occupy and form a gov, all the stuff that comes with a country. And what do you think makes up a country? PEOPLE!

Ill grant you the fact that you may not want ppl to protect your rights. But what would you rather have in front of your house, a minivan, or a T-72?

So whos gonna protect the country, robots???? A "country" is nothing but a section of land that people decide to occupy and form a gov, all the stuff that comes with a country. And what do you think makes up a country? PEOPLE!

Volunteers. People who believe that the country is in need of protecting and are willing to do so. See above as to reasons why military service should be voluntary.

I'd enlist in the navy, get to chill on a boat for a while, might learn how to do some cool shit. Sure beats getting drafted and getting your ass killed, that or running away so someone else can take your place

I would first say that I am morally opposed to killing, and I honestly don't think that I would ever be able to kill anyone, Instead I would go work as a nurse.But I have to agree that it all depends on why we are in the war, if we had a war like World War Two, I would completely support the draft (although I still would go and work as nurse), but if they started the draft for the war on Terror I wouldn't support it.

i am so against the war . . fuck bush :mad:

What the fuck are you talking about? You owe a little respect to the duly elected president of your country. I dont care whatever wacko ideas you have, thats just common courtesy. You children make me sick sometimes - maybe when you grow up a bit you will learn how silly you are being and grow out of this foolish leftism.

is it really up the US to intervene in other countries affairs besides its own? and isnt going to war in order to tell other countries what they can and can't do an extension of "power by any means"?

Yes, it is up to us, and why shouldnt it be? We are the strongest country in the world and we owe it to others to spread good values and right political systems throughout the world. Let me guess, you think we should intervene in Sudan but not in Iraq. Contradiction, anyone? Thats what happens when childish leftists refuse to think through their ideology completely. Grow up a bit and come back to talk.

Maybe putting the words FUCK BUSH as your post is going a little to far, though to say you have to respect the president isnt exactly accepting of all forms of thought. As far as growing out of leftism, thats just silly