WoSpet

Renumbering cards

A teammate was cutting a card that had a series of numbered points. She wanted to exclude some of them, but worried that it would sound strange when reading to a judge: "1. Racial profiling is racist. 3. It hurts minorities. 7. It causes extinction". If that were a hypothetical card with warrants.

Is it legit to rewrite the card to read "1... 2... 3..." or do you have to keep it how the author wrote it?

why not include some of the text before that like, "there are a multitude of reasons that i hate racial profiling" and then use inflection to get the seperate things seperated, whilst leaving the numbers out entirely.

• Upvote 1

yeah, i see no problem whatsoever with changing the numbering, tags can be anything u want.

I think WoSpet was talking about numbering in the cards, not the tag

And i agree with duallain that instead of having to worry about the numbers, just use inflection in your voice to indicate when your moving from one point to another.

It's a good way to make yourself sound better while avoiding the problem of changing the text of the card

• Upvote 1

Also, keep in mind that numbered points within the text of a card can often be confused with numbered points in your 1AC, especially if you're reading quickly and are somewhat unclear. This is yet another reason to exclude numbered points within your evidence.

Also, keep in mind that numbered points within the text of a card can often be confused with numbered points in your 1AC, especially if you're reading quickly and are somewhat unclear. This is yet another reason to exclude numbered points within your evidence.

This is soo true....definitely avoid reading numbers in the text!!

I have had to renumber my evidence countless times. Almost anytime I read theory, I end up having to renumber because some of the points are not applicable. As far as I know, renumbering is totally legit.

I have had to renumber my evidence countless times. Almost anytime I read theory, I end up having to renumber because some of the points are not applicable. As far as I know, renumbering is totally legit.

theory blocks are not card text. stuff that you, your varsity members, your coaches, random camps, etc. actually WROTE can be re-written. But don't re-write what has been published.

theory blocks are not card text. stuff that you, your varsity members, your coaches, random camps, etc. actually WROTE can be re-written. But don't re-write what has been published.

It's not so much re-writing as it is re-numbering. I've never had anyone say anything about it, and since I don't change what the cards actually say, just rearrange them, I assume that it is fine. I could be mistaken though...I am just a novice.

You can not change any part of what it published. You can exclude certain things from being read, but you cannot modify it in anyway. Re-numbering/re-arranging is re-writing.

I understand that, but re-numbering is non-substantive. It is for the purpose of comprehension, not misconstruing evidence.

And no re-arranging. Just making the card read like this:

RACIAL PROFILING IS THE LAST REMAINING EVIL OF OUR SOCIETY

Author, creds, April 1, 2005, source

1. Racial profiling is racist.

2. So is my mother, this is going off on a tangent

(2)*3. It hurts minorities.

4. My uncle was a minority

5. Minorities have remained as an 'underclass'

(3)*6. It causes extinction

* Numbers in parantheses have been added for comprehension

You're missing the point: either you have modified the evidence or you haven't. There is no "substantive" or "non-substantive".

Just forget the numbering for all of the reasons these ohter people have been so kind to point out.

• Downvote 1

The reason I find re-numbering completely legit is the fact that there are tons of different authors in my evidence. There's nothing that says that I can't rearrange cards from different authors, is there?

Look, there are no "rules of debate". But modifying evidence in the slightest (even rearranging, adding numbering, whatever) is not only unethical (regardless of the degree), but at many tournaments it could rezsult in disqualification. I know for certain that thuis is true at all NFL tournaments (districts, nationals).

I don't really care if you do it or not, I'm just saying that you should be aware that you shouldn't modify evidence in the slightest.

Alright. Thanks though. I didn't mean to come across as a butthole, but looking back over my posts I realized that I probably did. Thanks for the input. :)