Forget Foucault

Philosophy Films

Inspired by ZIZEK! (the documentary about everyone's favorite Slovenian, http://www.zizekthemovie.com/) I think it would be interesting to see other Philosophy themed documentaries and films.

These are most of the ones I know of besides Zizek, though I haven't seen them all.

does anyone know of any others/seen these?

I Heart Huckabees pokes fun at existentialists. Waking Life is all-around philosophical, but it blows. and most films, maybe not all, but most, have some philosophical implication.

brennan

• Downvote 1

To answer the original question:

the "philosophical films" I referred to in the original post were more non-fiction pieces about actual philosophers. but the other movies mentioned also do count as "philosophical"; a few of my favorites include PI, David Lynch's work (Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive), and others. I advise people interested in film to check out www.metaphilm.com .

I Heart Huckabees pokes fun at existentialists. Waking Life is all-around philosophical, but it blows. and most films, maybe not all, but most, have some philosophical implication.

brennan

lets see your reasoning as to why waking life blows, brennan. did it not contain drinking or military combat training?

brennan

i thought it was incredibly un-entertaining. the animation made me nauseous. it was poorly written. need anything else?

brennan

Look, I'm sure that all films can be argued to be philosophical (I mean, even The Last Dragon or Pump Up the Volume are philosophical). Clearly the person who started the thread means non-fictional work involving actual philosophers.

btw, if you are including non-english language films, Deleuze did a series of TV interviews in french.

As far as Waking Life. It's a good movie. If you don't like the "animation" (technically incorrect term, of course. It is shot live-action and painted over. a friend of mine also said it made him feel sick) you can watch it as just live-action on the DVD. those who do philosophy like to say the film sucks because there is an elitist attitude towards pop philosophy, which I don't share. The real annoying factor is the movie tends to attract exactly the same "stoner" philosophy crowd that felt the first matrix was really profound. But whatcha going to do?

this is a little off subject, but not much since i'll argue there's philosophy in the movie, but has anyone seen the trailer for A Scanner Darkly? Linklater did the animation kinda like A Waking Life's. i like it.

Full Metal Jacket

Pretty Village, Pretty Flame

Goodbye Lenin!

A Scanner Darkly (the parts i've seen i stole some of it)

Requiem for a Dream

Cowboy Bebop

EDIT:

O and Scu's post reminded me of something. Though the first Matrix was not exactly "deep" i laughed when i noticed one thing the first time i saw it. Did anyone notice that John Anderson (neo) was hiding his hacking shit and other programs he was selling illegally inside a Baudrillard book? if so does anyone remember what book that was? I just remember me thinking that was kind of a clever joke that they threw in.

yeah at this point i'm really just naming films that sort of made some sort of connection for me. really though i say fuck trying to find a "philosophical" film and watch something good or just something you don't know anything about.

• Downvote 1