kritikist1

Academy Awards

in the words of jon stewart, "Martin Scorcese, 0. Three-6 Mafia, 1."

thoughts?

brennan

crash was the only one i saw...interestingly enough, i saw it at camp while everyone was running RP.

Go jeans and tux combo!

A bit surprised crash won it. I would have thought like Good Night or Good Luck, or Capote would have pulled it off. B.Back mountain had too much controversy behind it to win.

They were so boooring the gonzaga usd game was so much better

oddly enough i agree the academy awards are piss shit and i can't imagine being stupid enough to sit through three hours of it

breenan

Guest Convergism
B.Back mountain had too much controversy behind it to win.

Because, you know, it didn't win 3 other big awards plus the Golden Globe.

Yea, pretty sure controversy wasn't an issue.

Brokeback Mountain was overrated. Capote probably could have won Best Picture, but it was purely Phillip Seymour Hoffman and not quite enough support. I didn't see Good Night, and Good Luck, but i've been told several times that it isn't great, and Munich was pretty good, but it wasn't as good as Capote or Crash, which I felt was the best.

brennan

in the words of jon stewart, "Martin Scorcese, 0. Three-6 Mafia, 1."

thoughts?

brennan

the joke used to be "martin scorsese, 0. eminem, 1." you decide which is funnier. i saw all the best picture nominees (and by extension, best director nominees), except munich, and i didn't think there was one movie that was way better than the others. that said, i thought brokeback would have won... i thought the controversy would help its chances. but i loved crash and capote as well. the whole thing was kinda mellow, and i enjoyed it overall.

I was dissapointed with the best picture award to crash. I think it was the worst of those nominated.

eh. Because Good Night and Good Luck was amaaaaaaaazing.

First, I liked Reese in Walk the Line, but it wasen't Oscar deserving. I was thinking Charlize, but whatever. I did think it was funny when Reese gave her acceptance speech, claiming that her character was a "real woman" and Felicity Huffman played a transgendered manwoman in Transamerica. I though it was funny.

Also, there were three movies tied for the most Oscar's. Memoirs of a Geisha, Crash, King Kong, and Brokeback Mountain. King Kong for god's sake!

First, I liked Reese in Walk the Line, but it wasen't Oscar deserving. I was thinking Charlize, but whatever. I did think it was funny when Reese gave her acceptance speech, claiming that her character was a "real woman" and Felicity Huffman played a transgendered manwoman in Transamerica. I though it was funny.

Also, there were three movies tied for the most Oscar's. Memoirs of a Geisha, Crash, King Kong, and Brokeback Mountain. King Kong for god's sake!

1, 2, 3, 4....

brennan

Reese in Walk the Line was definately oscar deserving. that performance was unbelievably good.

I think Crash was the best movie nominated. It hit me harder than the other ones. Personally, I think Terrence Howard should have taken home best actor. Not to take away from Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but Howard was amazing in Hustle & Flow. It's hard to imagine he did 3 movies last year and they all portray a different character. He is definitely going to be around for a loooooong time.

Edit: I didn't watch any o the show, so how was Jon Stewart?

I think Crash was the best movie nominated. It hit me harder than the other ones. Personally, I think Terrence Howard should have taken home best actor. Not to take away from Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but Howard was amazing in Hustle & Flow. It's hard to imagine he did 3 movies last year and they all portray a different character. He is definitely going to be around for a loooooong time.

Edit: I didn't watch any o the show, so how was Jon Stewart?

i agree with everything except for your best actor. not to take away from terrence howard but i thought phillip seymour hoffman was outstanding. i thought his role called for a much more difficult performance than hustle and flow.

crash was excellent though.

Seeing all the movies nominated for best picture, I would have to agree with the Academys choice. 'Crash' I felt was by far the best film, simply because of the message it sent. Those who have not seen it, do so, as as humanly possible. The symbolism, camera work, casting, everything was spot on. The only movie nominated that could've given it a run for its money was Capote.

as far as the best actor award goes, hoffman earned it, but it's a shame that joaquin phoenix's performance had to come out at the same time. being a longtime fan of johnny cash, i felt that phoenix didn't portray him - he became him. it was uncanny. phoenix even sang all the songs, and as has been said by others, he sounded more like johnny cash than johnny cash did. another year, he'd have picked up the oscar.

brennan

Why the music during the speeches? That definitely made me turn it quicker than I would have.

yeah, hella distracting.