squirrelweirdo12

MoState Gets a First Round Bid

I don't know how many of you keep up with the college debate circuit, but MoState just got what I believe is their first first round bid:

Berkeley BW

Dartmouth BM

Dartmouth CS

Emory CL

Emory GP

George Washington LW

Georgia CR

Harvard KM

Idaho State BY

Kansas CJ

Michigan State BH

Missouri State BM

Northwestern BC

Wake Forest CH

Wayne State FM

Whitman SS

Congrats Bostick and Mapes.

Also on this day, three out of the four websites I check, who make predictions for the NCAA bracket has MoSt as being "in" right now.

http://www.bracketography.com 12 seed facing 5 NC State

bracketology101.blogspot.com #11 facing #6 Washington (listed as one of last four in)

thebracketboard.com #11 vs #6 Kansas.

And ESPN's Joe Luanardi is still an idiot.

congrats to the debates, but MOSt. will only be in the NIT. If you think the NCAA will let in Creighton, SIU, WSU, Northern Iowa, and MOSt. you're crazy. I dont care how good the MoValley is this year, five teams wont get in. the only way MoSt gets in is by winning the tournament. sorry reuben

congrats to the debates, but MOSt. will only be in the NIT. If you think the NCAA will let in Creighton, SIU, WSU, Northern Iowa, and MOSt. you're crazy. I dont care how good the MoValley is this year, five teams wont get in. the only way MoSt gets in is by winning the tournament. sorry reuben

Jabarra Jabarra Jabarra.

First, it's Ruben, not Reuben. Second, I was merely going off the four sites, that I know of, who project brackets. Third, the Valley is good enough to get five teams in right now. In my honest opinion, if MoSt can win out (home vs Evansville, at Wisconsin-Milwaukee, at Illinois St, home against Creighton) then they will be in the tournament. Souther Illinois isnt a lock yet, neither is Wichita St, but I don't believe WSU will fall fast enough in the last week to be knocked out. I don't know if SIU will stumble, but assuming they won't then the Valley gets five.

But here is the justification of the Valley getting five teams (and it has a lot more to do with the individual team's performances, rather than the confernece as a whole; the RPIs are the NCAA's official numbers, as of Feb 6--the next rankings come out tomorrow around 4; the second number listed is their current rank on http://www.midmajority.com):

UNI: (15, 17) home win against WSU and home loss to MoSt not figured in. They're a lock, but look for them to fall to 17 b/c of the MoSt loss.

Creighton: (16, 29)win at Evansville, home loss to SIU. Should be a lock, but they will fall becuase of the loss to SIU, probably to 22-24 range.

WSU: (23, 21) the road loss to UNI, win at Indiana St. The loss won't drop them far, maybe to 26-28, but the win won't do anything.

MoSt: (36, 25) road loss to SIU, road win UNI. The loss didn't really do much (b/c of SIU's RPI) at the time maybe they would've switched places with SIU, but the win should bump them to 30-33.

SIU: (39, 24) wins at home vs MoSt, road win against Creighton. Should jump to 30-33, probably a spot or two above MoSt.

Five teams will be in the top 35 in RPI when the rankings come out. A sixth (Bradley) team will be top 60. These six teams have done enough to get into the postseason. While MoSt is def. one of the last eight teams to get in, winning out will keep them there. Now a loss may destory the Bears, but it depends on what loss. Losing to UW-Mil (34) on the road won't hurt, but a home loss to Creighton may be the key win. Out of the three Valley teams needing to win, MoSt may have the easiest schedule remaing.

WSU: Creighton, George Mason, at Drake, Illinois St.

MoSt: Evansville, at UW-Mil, at Illinois St, Creighton

SIU: at Bradley, Louisiana Tech, at Evansville, Northern Iowa.

While I'd rather play Louisiana Tech than UW-Mil, at Bradley isnt easy, and I'd take Creighton at home opposed to UNI.

But really, I was just pointing out that on the day MoSt got a first round NDT bid is the same day the school appeared on three dif bracket projections. And the non-Luanardi projection people are for real.

I don't know about the bracketology101, but TheBracketBoard was 63/65 last season. David Mihm at http://www.bracketography.com has a career record (five seasons) of 320/325 teams picked who were in the tournament (.985), 276/325 of teams projected within one line of their actual seed (.849), 162/325 (.499) of teams projected to their actual seed. The selection committee is allowed to move teams one line from their true seed if therer are conflicts.

It should be a good last week for the Valley, and as of now, five teams should get in (unless MoSt loses, or SIU decides to lose to someone like LA-Tech...or Evansville)

Anyway, by the end of the night, MoSt should be within one game of the loser of tonight's WSU-Creighton matchup.

good job.
Yes, indeed. Hard work pays off, folks. However, I would point out also that the "bid" system has only been around since the mid-'70s, and that there were some fine, fine SMS teams in the '50s, '60s, and early '70s who also would have been first-rounders under the current system...

Yes, indeed. Hard work pays off, folks. However, I would point out also that the "bid" system has only been around since the mid-'70s, and that there were some fine, fine SMS teams in the '50s, '60s, and early '70s who also would have been first-rounders under the current system...

geez shuman... no one cares about the 1970's

Correction, 10 out of the 16 bracket projections people have made have MoState in.

http://bracketproject.atspace.com/comparison.htm

I will have to say that is hard-fucking-core. I saw Bostick debate this weekend at KU. The only thing I could say is... damn. Just damn.

Just another note MoSt was very close to getting a another first round with KO. Like one of the next two schools in line to get a second first round.

love

jamie

nhs 2006

Thanks for your belittling remarks, shuman.

Genuine thanks to everyone else - it means a lot.

What round did you watch, JCampfield?

Genuine thanks to everyone else - it means a lot.

What round did you watch, JCampfield?

there was 3 of us that were watching your round against wyoming, round 7. we were the hs kids in the back with the mom flowing the round, one of us was in a wheelchair (for some reason this quality seems to stick out the most). congrats on getting the 1st round bid to the ndt as well.

If I've said it once I've said it a million times: It's super hard to be a famous debate superstar.

Humbly yours,

Mapes

In my first and only defense of T-Shu, his statement is accurate. SMS had Tom Black and ?John? Jackson in (I believe) Semis of the NDT. Were the bid system around this team would have surely recieved a bid.

So, MoSt. BaM is the best NDT team from here in DECADES, one of the best all time, and still has a chance to surpass the achievement of SMS BJ in the '70s (or something). Its good to see highschool debaters getting in on the congradulations, they deserve lots of praise for their achievment.

It is also probably correct to say that MoSt was one of two schools close to having 2 first rounds. Repko (Mich State coach) pointed as much out:

http://www.ndtceda.com/archives/200602/0234.html

MoSt KO is probably the second best team in decades of Springfield NDT debate.

*Important to note, NDT first rounds do not assess the good SMS CEDA teams form the '90s (one of which won a national championship--Jeff Jarman and partner, and one of which was in finals of CEDA nats--Eric Morris, current head coach, and partner). It also may be fair to say that someone has to go 5-3 at the NDT before they can say they are better than Heather Walters (MoSt assistant director) and Martin Harris (the last SMS team to do so).

It is also worth mentioning that MoSt had 5 teams in octas at the Heart this last weekend, with team BJ (Bostick and Jessica Johnson) as the 7-0 top seed losing in finals to Wayne State FM (also a first round).

I'm not saying you all should come debate at MoSt when you graduate, but you should. Especially if you are good.

FIRST OF ALL

Big fucking congrats to Missouri State BM for bop-bop-bopping, straight to the top of the NDT rankings. This is huge and they fucking worked for it.

SECOND OF ALL

My two cents about the MVC and Missouri State basketball, refer to my new thread. Reserve this thread for congratulating Mape and Bosti.

I'm telling you, there is something in that Springfield water that makes people get this way... ;)

Sir: My original post was seconding roach's "good job" congratulations. I also said that "hard work pays off." Whose "hard work" do you think I was talking about? In what sense is either of those remarks "belittling"? As for what I wrote about the bid system, that was not a slam at your achievement, but rather a reminder to the young 'uns that SMS has been a fine program for a long, long time. If your ego requires you to believe that you are the best SMS team ever, you'll certainly have an opportunity to prove your point, won't you? I don't understand why what you've already achieved still leaves you feeling so insecure, though...

My informationabout KO almost getting a second round came from Reko's thread. I just didnt wanna get the hyperlink and shit. once again HUGE CONGRATS!!!!

love

jamie

nhs 2006