is debate male dominated?

is debate male dominated  

80 members have voted

1. 1. is debate male dominated

• yes
    • no

nothing you've ever said has made any sense dumbfuck

Your stinging retort singes my pride.

Dear me, it seems I have attracted yet another undying sworn enemy. Join the club. :P

where's the mods on this one? i think this pretty clearly meets the criteria laid out in that stickied thread about your rules. this thread was arguably valuable once, a long time ago. now, and for some time, it's stupid offensive garbage.

• Downvote 2

In general, though, I'd say females in debate have a tougher role to play. If we're too sweet and soft-spoken, then we're push-overs; if we're too aggressive, then we're bitches. There's a very fine line that we have to walk in order to be respected as much as all the males on the circuit. Plus, there are always going to be very definite gender stereotypes that we have to overcome in the debate round. It's really hard to gain respect.quote]

I have to agree hard core with this statement. Gender stereotypes are embedded everywhere in debate. However, I do not feel this to be the case at my school. Although we have more male debaters than female debaters, I don't think that it is because of social repression, but because of lack of interest. We recently lost a few good female debaters because of scheduling and loss of interest. Debate does generate a certain amount of pressure, but you have to be willing to embrace that pressure and overcome it before you can 'fit in.' I think that debate isn't a matter of it being a 'nerdy' class, because I have gained a lot of respect from fellow classmates as well as teachers for putting up with 'that lot.' Debate is a widely respected class at my school. I think the reason that girls feel so oppressed is because they don't feel that they are smart enough to compete in the field, or they feel dominated by overbearing male members on the team. I think that a large percentage of loss of interest is due to training. When you are a first year debater, you gain skills rapidly if you are outgoing and willing to make mistakes. But as you progress into your second and third years, a lot more pressure is handed to you from your coach and fellow debaters to do well in tournaments. This pressure I think gets to a lot of girls, where they are either at a point where they simply CANT get better, or at a point where they are simply unwilling to admit that they CAN get better. At this point in training, learning new things becomes a lot more complicated and girls just become unwilling to admit that they are making mistakes that could lose them rounds. I think that a debater has to feel confident enough in themselves to survive in the social network. And if that makes you a bitch, at least you were able to hold your ground against the 'male.' Sexual references and jokes just have to be taken in stride. It's a lot of fun just to come up with good refutations, and play along. I think that if you are good natured and confident, then you can easily survive the criticism.

At my school my coach is female, but the two best debaters at my school are two males. I also know my coach sucked at debating in HS and it comes in to play w/ her coaching.

At my school my coach is female, but the two best debaters at my school are two males. I also know my coach sucked at debating in HS and it comes in to play w/ her coaching.

I don't know about your coach, but I think at a certain point you are able to learn more from fellow debaters than you can from your coach because they know more of your faults than your coach is aware of.

We have 4 varsity debaters, three of them are guys, whom i just 'put up with' (just kidding, I love them all)

I think 6 JV debaters- who are about half and half

and sadly, our novices could care less about debate, which i could say for some of the JV debaters as well.

I agree w/ imported mango, you can learn more from fellow debaters, but you can learn even more at camp!

P.S. how do i delete a c-x acount so i can start another

I think everyone's approach to this is a little bit off. I think that debate at the college level is just something that appeals more to guys. Debate is a game, and most women are too practical to devote as much energy as is necessary into something as trivial as winning policy debate rounds. I don't think there is as much some external barrier preventing them from being successful as there is a lack of desire. I've known plenty of phenominal female debaters who just choose to foces there energy somewhere else after highschool.

• Downvote 1

I think everyone's approach to this is a little bit off. I think that debate at the college level is just something that appeals more to guys. Debate is a game, and most women are too practical to devote as much energy as is necessary into something as trivial as winning policy debate rounds. I don't think there is as much some external barrier preventing them from being successful as there is a lack of desire. I've known plenty of phenominal female debaters who just choose to foces there energy somewhere else after highschool.

everything in life is trivial. Did you even read the above post about WHY there is a lack of desire?

Well I for one am in high school. I don't know anything about college debate, but I do know that the majority teams that my partner and I hit are male/female. My partner and I are both males. I see alot of female debaters but I usualy don't debate them. It's like they walk around teh school in nice clothes carrying around their crates just for kicks. I think that males want it to be but females think it should be even. I for one don't care, as long as I win.

• Downvote 1

BOO DOUBLE POST! And yes, as much as we all blabber on, debate IS male dominated. Question answered.

hey, if it's true that debate is male dominated, well, it just makes it easier on the ladies...

everything in life is trivial. Did you even read the above post about WHY there is a lack of desire?

No, I didn't. I'm just saying that for whatever reasons guys are more "into" games than women are. Look at the number of guys who spend countless hours playing videogames compaired to girls.

No, I didn't. I'm just saying that for whatever reasons guys are more "into" games than women are. Look at the number of guys who spend countless hours playing videogames compaired to girls.

Yes, that is exactly the point I was trying to state. I mean clearly that's explicit in my post.