GummiB

Holla Girls!

Hey everyone. I know I haven't been improving your lives with my continued presence on CX dot com, but I'm back. Feel free to give me a holla on this thread.

Since I haven't been on for almost a year now (wow) I'm sure there are a lot of new faces to Missouri debate. I can't wait to get to know each and every one of you personally. I have already made soooo many close friends and I can't wait to meet even more!

Some people feel that due to my celebrity status I'm unappproachable, but I want to get rid of all those silly myths concerning my popularity right now.

Again, feel free to introduce yourself to me, and I know that we can all be the best of friends.

Sincerly,

Michael T. Mapes :)

• Upvote 2

So you havent posted on here in almost a year (probably a reason), why start posting again?

Hey Brian! It's so nice to meet you. Your profile indicates that you're from Lee Summit. You might know this, but my good friend and roommate Michael Kearney is also from that town. It must be a breeding ground for cool people. More to the point though, the reason I haven't posted for almost a year is because I've been incredibly busy. As you may know I am a professional psychic medium, full time college student, and I am on the debate team. I also host my own radio show, as well as appear on any number of other radio shows throughout each month. All of these things in combination keep me running!

I realized that in my busy life I have been neglecting getting to know new people in the area. That, my friend, is why I made my little posty last night.

Hopefully, this answers your question.

Here's wishing you the best,

Michael Mapes

i like your sig

Hey Aaron. Thanks, I was actually thinking about changing that, but since you like it I'll let it live another day. So, do you debate in Minnesota? If so were you at Blake? I was judging there... Also, if you do debate there do you possibly know Meggie Mapes from Le Mars. She's my sister.

I look forward to your reponse.

Sincerly,

Michael Mapes

hi michael, i'm glad to see that you are posting again. i hope that you can bring something good to the young people of missouri.

my name is brian, i also live in lee's summit and i hope that we can becomme bff. :P

Hey Aaron. Thanks, I was actually thinking about changing that, but since you like it I'll let it live another day. So, do you debate in Minnesota? If so were you at Blake? I was judging there... Also, if you do debate there do you possibly know Meggie Mapes from Le Mars. She's my sister.

I look forward to your reponse.

Sincerly,

Michael Mapes

I'm at the University of Minnesota. I debate there.I went to Parkway Central in St Louis. The only highschools I have relations with up here are Eden Prairy, Edina, and Wizzetta...but the second two not much. And with that really the LD side.

hi michael, i'm glad to see that you are posting again. i hope that you can bring something good to the young people of missouri.

my name is brian, i also live in lee's summit and i hope that we can becomme bff. :P

Thanks for replying to my orignial post roach. Can I ask a serious question? Why the name roach? I would have gone with something a little more cute and feminine but that's just me :)

Of course we can be BFF, and perhaps, if yo'ure lucky you can gain entry into my social network commonly known as the Bumblebees.

Is that part in your post about you being Brian from Lee's Summit a joke? Call me a ditz, but if you want me to get your humor you're going to have to spell it out a little more clearly for me.

Best Wishes,

Michael

Well Moop, it's been quite awhile since I wrote here last but I heard that you were sending out an olive branch, so I thought I'd say, "Hey Girl!"

• Downvote 1

His name is Brian Roach.

Michael, you should come judge at the MU Tiger Classic. You can get to know everyone.

Oh, well that makes sense then. Again though, I would recommend a last name change to something more cutesy and feminine.

As for judging when is the tournament? Is it just another high school tournament or is it a major thing or what? I usually prefer not to judge on the high school circuit, because I have a high energy excited personality when it comes to debate, and a lot of coaches in the region frown upon that. An example: Elle Woods is to the legal community what I am to the Missouri High School debate community!

I don't feel I should be treated unkindly by high school coaches because I do not share their beliefs on debate. Also, despite my 'college circuit' attitude, I am fully qualified to be judging high school debates.

I also have a major problem with not disclosing/talking about the round. It is my view that debate is a game that should not be subjected to outdated rules resembling legal formalism. While it's important to match your shoes to your outfit, it's not a reason why you should lose a debate round. I also don't think that MO debate got the little fashion memo that got sent out around 3 years ago. Pleated pants, suits, and ties are not trendy, and in fact, are far from the latest trend in business wear. Is disclosure allowed at your tournament etc?

Sorry, if it seems like I don't know much, but this isn't a circuit I'm around much.

I look forward to your response,

Michael

Oh, well that makes sense then. Again though, I would recommend a last name change to something more cutesy and feminine.

As for judging when is the tournament? Is it just another high school tournament or is it a major thing or what? I usually prefer not to judge on the high school circuit, because I have a high energy excited personality when it comes to debate, and a lot of coaches in the region frown upon that. An example: Elle Woods is to the legal community what I am to the Missouri High School debate community!

I don't feel I should be treated unkindly by high school coaches because I do not share their beliefs on debate. Also, despite my 'college circuit' attitude, I am fully qualified to be judging high school debates.

I also have a major problem with not disclosing/talking about the round. It is my view that debate is a game that should not be subjected to outdated rules resembling legal formalism. While it's important to match your shoes to your outfit, it's not a reason why you should lose a debate round. I also don't think that MO debate got the little fashion memo that got sent out around 3 years ago. Pleated pants, suits, and ties are not trendy, and in fact, are far from the latest trend in business wear. Is disclosure allowed at your tournament etc?

Sorry, if it seems like I don't know much, but this isn't a circuit I'm around much.

I look forward to your response,

Michael

Michael,

Our tournament is February 10-11. The schedule is posted in the "MU Tiger Classic Judging" forum.

It is the policy of the Mizzou tournament to put all qualified judges in CCX debate rounds, so we have absolutely no problem with your college debate experience (in fact we prefer that you do have experience).

Although most tournaments in Missoui discourage disclosure of decisions after the round, we have no problems with it. Most likely there will be time for a short oral critique- if not, you can find them at any time during the tournament.

However, we would ask that you make sure it is ok with both the debate teams before disclosing. Some teams don't like to know the decision of the round, and personally, I think that is their right not to know. If that is the case, just talk to the team that wants the disclosure.

We like to run the tournametn as close to "circuit" as possible, while also respecting the views currently held by most Missouri coaches.

We would love to have you judging at our tournament! If you don't mind, can you spread the word to the rest of the SMS (MoSt) squad?

Thanks,

Kevin Calderwood

Mizzou Debate

Mapes, what's your middle name?

Troy, and yours? Also your first and last please.

Michael,

Our tournament is February 10-11. The schedule is posted in the "MU Tiger Classic Judging" forum.

It is the policy of the Mizzou tournament to put all qualified judges in CCX debate rounds, so we have absolutely no problem with your college debate experience (in fact we prefer that you do have experience).

Although most tournaments in Missoui discourage disclosure of decisions after the round, we have no problems with it. Most likely there will be time for a short oral critique- if not, you can find them at any time during the tournament.

However, we would ask that you make sure it is ok with both the debate teams before disclosing. Some teams don't like to know the decision of the round, and personally, I think that is their right not to know. If that is the case, just talk to the team that wants the disclosure.

We like to run the tournametn as close to "circuit" as possible, while also respecting the views currently held by most Missouri coaches.

We would love to have you judging at our tournament! If you don't mind, can you spread the word to the rest of the SMS (MoSt) squad?

Thanks,

Kevin Calderwood

Mizzou Debate

Well, it's good to know that you're working to create a good open atmosphere at your tournament. Would I get paid? If so, how much?

Thanks for the info,

Michael Mapes

No kidding...this is a very happy post compared to most of the rants on the MO forum...thanks Mapes for doing this. And are you related to Danny Mapes at all over in Kansas?

Wow, everyone is really happy on this thread. Actually, I honestly think I feel a little happier right now.

Well, I am glad that I could contribute to you having a happier day. Being surrounded by friends woud make anyone happy, maybe that's why I'm always so happy and positive :)

Like I always say, 'you gotta have your girls'

Wishing you all a great day,

Michael

No kidding...this is a very happy post compared to most of the rants on the MO forum...thanks Mapes for doing this. And are you related to Danny Mapes at all over in Kansas?

I don't think I am related to any Danny Mapes. If you know him though, feel free to give him a shout-out from a fellow Mapes. Is he cool? If so it will prove my theory that anyone with the last name of Mapes is dedicated to improving people's glum dispositions.

Here's to hoping you meet more Mapes'

Michael

Well, it's good to know that you're working to create a good open atmosphere at your tournament. Would I get paid? If so, how much?

Thanks for the info,

Michael Mapes

Sadly, we cannot charge enough in entry fees for us to pay judges. As a student run program, we don't have much institutional support, so every dollar we have is crucial to our program.

Thanks for replying to my orignial post roach. Can I ask a serious question? Why the name roach? I would have gone with something a little more cute and feminine but that's just me :)

Of course we can be BFF, and perhaps, if yo'ure lucky you can gain entry into my social network commonly known as the Bumblebees.

Is that part in your post about you being Brian from Lee's Summit a joke? Call me a ditz, but if you want me to get your humor you're going to have to spell it out a little more clearly for me.

Best Wishes,

Michael

i'm sorry that you do not like my name. that makes me sad. :sob:

I don't think I am related to any Danny Mapes. If you know him though, feel free to give him a shout-out from a fellow Mapes. Is he cool? If so it will prove my theory that anyone with the last name of Mapes is dedicated to improving people's glum dispositions.

Here's to hoping you meet more Mapes'

Michael

I hear your sis is kickin ass though...o yea, and glad to hear that youre not dead (pending that you remember me at all).

i'm sorry that you do not like my name. that makes me sad. :sob:

It's not that I don't like it... funny story. So, remember that Whitbug person who kept smearing their 'gay-bashing' poo all over the forum. When, I saw your name was roach I conflated that with Whitbug. Presumably, I did this because bug and roach are the same thing to me.

That aside, I'm sure you're a lovely person. For instance, my roomates name used to be Britton, but because we wanted something a little more sassed up and feminine we changed it to B. It's not that I don't completely love your name, because I do. It's just that in order to be a Bumblebee you need something that screams sasstress. Is all of this making sense to you sweets?

So, because, I don't want you to be sad I've renamed you Ro, after an A-list sasstress Rosanne. Well, and beause it's close to Roach.

Here's wishing you a better mood,

Michael

I hear your sis is kickin ass though...o yea, and glad to hear that youre not dead (pending that you remember me at all).

Yes, Margarethe has been having quite the little year. Her mother and I are incredibly proud of her. She does know how to hold her in in an arguement :)

I actually have no idea who you, and I'm sorry. As you can imagine I meet sooo many people that despite my best efforts some are bound to fall through the cracks. Could you please remind me of who you are? And, why you're glad I'm not dead?

Thanks,

Michael

Sadly, we cannot charge enough in entry fees for us to pay judges. As a student run program, we don't have much institutional support, so every dollar we have is crucial to our program.

This is one downfall of Missouri debate. I can definitely understand how crucial money is, I mean let's not bull crap each other, my wardrobe is far from free.

I'll have to consult my social calender and see if I'll be able to make it. I'll let other people know though, presumably, their calenders are less full than mine.

Wishing you the best tournament,

Michael