159 members have voted

1. 1. Disclose

• Disclose both the plan and plan text
    • Don't Disclose anything
    • Disclose plan only and no plan text

then you suck.

here is the deal.

Greenhill, GBN, Centerville

these teams already know what you're running. They have scouts, they have caselists. They know your advantages too.

Not disclosiong only gives theses types of school a tremendous benifit. Smaller schools dont always have this luxury, so just tell them. Plus if you dont suck at debating, it shouldnt matter. You should be able to defend your plan.`

• Upvote 1

I personally don't like disclosing because then It's a bit lame....at least for me as a NEG a bit boring

Right, because once you have their plan, I'm sure your infinite brilliance is able to create an entirely original and handcrafted NEG strat, which the AFF will be totally blindsided by.

Also, what in the hell does it mean to disclose the plan but not the plan text? I think maybe you mean the case area vs. the plan text.

• Upvote 1

Until local tournaments I go to have a caselist that every team submits too, I don't disclose before tournaments.

We disclose plantext and advantages if they ask for that. I usually just say what the advantages are without giving more detail.

Of course, this depends on the tournament sometimes too. We wouldn't have disclosed at NFL/CFL qualifiers if the other team asked for the sake of cheap competitive advantage. Didn't ask other teams to disclose their cases then though.

I usually disclose case area when asking a judge if they are ok with a certain arguement, aka "would you have a problem in anyway voting for a plan that allowed gays to serve openly in the military?" and i disclose to anyone who asks as long as we are setting up and the judge is there, i wont disclose before the judge gets there. and i like disclosing before flips, that makes me happy, it is reciprocal and helps make better rounds

what the hell is the difference between plan and plan text? is plan just some sort of artful summary of plan text, like a tag line or something? does it itself have a text? :confused:

I disclose plan, plan text, and advantages. Meh.

Same here. Usually I hand plan text to the negative and will disclose advantages if asked.

It would be swell if disclosure at whatever level (plan text or just plan "concept") actually led to more in-depth debating about the merits of the Affirmative case / plan. More often than not, however, it doesn't. I've lost count of the number of times I've witnessed the following: A team gets all the disclosure it wanted from an Aff, then proceeds to run exactly the same cookie-cutter T violation, generic kritik, PIC, and politics DAs it would have run anyway (and the case claims are never contested). So far as I can determine, most of the folks who want a "disclosure" culture aren't interested in doing anything other than lowering their pre-round anxiety level a bit. I used to be a staunch advocate of such a culture myself, but I've got serious doubts about it these days...

• Upvote 1

anybody that doesn't disclose plan text and advantages is laaaaaaaame. seriously people don't be bodaggets. eastern idaho kids this means you, for the most part.

when they walk into the room i just throw my plan text at them but dont tell them anything else, it is funny to see them wonder what to do and ponder thinking, "what the hell is this" i do it for my own satisfaction, disclosure should be like a mini skirt, you give enough info to keep the team interested and occupied but not enough give away the supprise.

• Upvote 1

But with the mini-skirt the surprise doesn't always come, and when it does it doesn't always come in an 8-minute package.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

It would be swell if disclosure at whatever level (plan text or just plan "concept") actually led to more in-depth debating about the merits of the Affirmative case / plan. More often than not, however, it doesn't. I've lost count of the number of times I've witnessed the following: A team gets all the disclosure it wanted from an Aff, then proceeds to run exactly the same cookie-cutter T violation, generic kritik, PIC, and politics DAs it would have run anyway (and the case claims are never contested). So far as I can determine, most of the folks who want a "disclosure" culture aren't interested in doing anything other than lowering their pre-round anxiety level a bit. I used to be a staunch advocate of such a culture myself, but I've got serious doubts about it these days...

the problem is people aren't going far enough; pre round disclosure is nothing but an oppurtunity to write out a counterplan text. getting full cites and plan text from prior tournaments lets people write good case negs and specific strategies.

then you suck.

here is the deal.

Greenhill, GBN, Centerville

these teams already know what you're running. They have scouts, they have caselists. They know your advantages too.

Not disclosiong only gives theses types of school a tremendous benifit. Smaller schools dont always have this luxury, so just tell them. Plus if you dont suck at debating, it shouldnt matter. You should be able to defend your plan.`

Hmmm I must have missed Centervilles Scouts and large team.

But with the mini-skirt the surprise doesn't always come, and when it does it doesn't always come in an 8-minute package.

hey i can at least try with an analogy

I hardly disclose anything, except for what case im running, like Racial Profiling, or Ex Ren, something like that

I personally don't like disclosing because then It's a bit lame....at least for me as a NEG a bit boring

Not to be a bitch, well actually yes, I saw you debate a few weeks ago and you took 7 minutes of prep for the 1NC. So maybe using disclosure would be a good thing

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

if you're any good, why worry about letting the other team get out files that theyre going to get out eventually anyway? i mean, unless the other team brings in like a bunch of coaches that start writing out blocks, printing off cards and lots of advice thats going to screw you, why be such a square?

I think disclosing a vague case area ("I'm running GITMO/Public Housing/Ex Ren/Space/Zoos/Random Case") does little in terms of actually helping the prep of the negative at all. After all, I am of strong belief that while case areas may be topical, it all comes down to the plan text. Sure, you may have an idea of what their case will do, but without a plan text OR a vague idea of plan advantages coupled with a case area, the negative essentially has nothing solid enough to determine their 1NC off of.

Then again, I don't really care for disclosure, so meh...

i found it funny, at least more last year than this year, that whenever we disclosed, either the other team didnt care or they ran off to a bunch of coaches who hadnt been actually debating that year, and got advice to do the same strat. This happened consistently with a bunch of teams. We ran congo, and every time they would run an EU CP and overstretch DA, it was a terrible strat but i guess they thought there were some merits somehow. It made me quite happy to disclose.

However, disclosure should not give the neg half an hour of prep time before the round. If they want a quick summary and a minute to clarify strategy before the round and after jduging preferences, thats fine, but disclosure doesnt seem to have a huge risk of creating better debate. I regard it mostly as a courtesy/display of confidence.