DeCoach

Rendition story

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10618427/

It seems the CIA is now saying maybe they HAVE sent people they captured to other countries, but gosh darn it, it was just a mistake.

Excuse me????? How do you send a captured suspect to another country by mistake????

"Gee, I thought that box only contained books & papers, but I guess there was a terrorism suspect in there too......I guess those air holes drilled in the box lid should have been a clue!"

This administration has really honed the skill of re-naming something awful to make it sound OK.....

yay now my aff evidence will postdate thanks.

I was wondering if the recent ban on torture that was passed through Congress makes ER non-inherent? Can anyone clarify?

I was wondering if the recent ban on torture that was passed through Congress makes ER non-inherent? Can anyone clarify?

No, torture definition will be changed, and dont base your adv's just off the fact they are tortured. Base them off they are still detained w/out charge.

It seems the CIA is now saying maybe they HAVE sent people they captured to other countries, but gosh darn it, it was just a mistake.

Hartney, any renditions would have to be accidental.This story confirms it:

"So amateurish was the Milan rendition that the Italian lawyer for Robert Seldon Lady, whom prosecutors identify as the former CIA chief in Milan, says Lady's primary defense will be that he was too good a spy to have been involved with something so badly planned and carried out."

As for the McCain bill, it's somewhat disheartening to have so many teams run the extraordinary rendition case, and yet have no idea what the difference between RENDITION and EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION is. If anyone actually bothered to do research, you would understand that McCain's bill doesn't affect either category.

I have to agree with Yost on that one, the renditions aff isnt very topical due to the fact that the USFG isnt detaining any1 without charge or searching them without probable cause, the gov is simply sending them to another country to be interrogated/tortured.

I also agree with Mr. Hartney in the fact that you cant really render someone on accident. Even though im a republican, i must sasy that Bush isnt doing that great of a job. Hes fighting the war well, but the policies he implements arent too great. They were made with good intentions, but they didnt turn out so great.

What is this an acronym for? PDVE uses this a lot.

Quoted For Accuracy. It's just used to express agreement with the quoted person's post.

I have to agree with Yost on that one, the renditions aff isnt very topical due to the fact that the USFG isnt detaining any1 without charge or searching them without probable cause, the gov is simply sending them to another country to be interrogated/tortured.

There are several things wrong with this argument (I run ex ren and I have never lost on this T vio)

1) The US government must first detain these individuals and assess them before sending them to a third party

2) Ex Ren is the entire process of capturing (detention), transfering (detention on an airplane), and then holding them in another country(detention)

3) US is still liable for these detentions in 3rd party countries, (if you can't find the evidence, look harder), becuase these nations are holding these prisioners at our request, create false charges on our behalf, and interogate them with our list of questions.

Simply, the detainees would not be detained if it were not for US intervention

Furthermore, what convincing voters can you put on so weak a violation. Has this ever won for anybody. Seriously?

What you really want to run the T vio on is "USFG" (pronounced uss fagah), that the party holding these detainees is not the USFG gov but another country. Voters= fairness (ground) and extra T

This is still a weak argument, has some merits.

Im sorry but i would be overjoyed if my ER or GTMO case went non-inherent. then i could look into more shit the government does and maybe that would go away too. How bad is it when were glad that they are destroying peoples lives so that we can postdate?

and, it's not legal.

Wrong again my feathered friends. Ex Ren is legal due to the series of Justice department memos by our good friend John Yoo. This series of internal memos along with Presidential Decision Derective 39 (among others) grants the legal authority for Extraordinary Rendition. Thus by banning the process this created legal authority no longer exists and the case becomes topical.

• Downvote 1

Im sorry but i would be overjoyed if my ER or GTMO case went non-inherent. then i could look into more shit the government does and maybe that would go away too. How bad is it when were glad that they are destroying peoples lives so that we can postdate?

Hartney told us a story about how, during the penal reform topic, kids always checked the news to see if the death penalty had been reinstated so that they could write an aff and "save the people on death row." People don't change, the arguments do. :rolleyes:

Hartney told us a story about how, during the penal reform topic, kids always checked the news to see if the death penalty had been reinstated so that they could write an aff and "save the people on death row." People don't change, the arguments do. :rolleyes:

Damn.....you were listening to that?????????