BobFriscoDebater

Gitmo Uyghars Neg

Can anyone explain to me exactly what this case does?

Also, if any of y'all have hit it, then could you explain your strat?

I think Centerville runs it.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Bob

Umm you guys are spelling it wrong

but heres the tags/cites from the greenhill case list

it should give you a rundown of whats going on

CONTENTION I – IS INHERENCY

INITIALLY NOTE, ETHNIC UYGHURS ARE DETAINED WITHOUT CHARGE IN GUANTANAMO BAY – THEY HAVE BEEN CLEARED OF THEIR ENEMY COMBATANT STATUS BUT CONTINUE TO BE HELD

Radio Free Asia August 4, 2005 “Guantanamo’s Uyghur Plight Effect Families”.

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/soci...ur_guantanamo/

CONTENTION II IS HARMS THE XINJIANG SPRING

FIRST, US POLICIES OF DETENTION ARE MODELED BY CHINA – OUR ABUSES AT GUANTANAMO PREVENT THE US FROM CRITICISING CHINESE REPRESSION OF THE UYGHURS

Jessie Duncan, Uyghur Human Rights Project, March 18, 2002

http://www.uhrp.org/issues/religious...miscellaneous/

window_into_china

ALSO, SPECIFICALLY THE US DETAINMENT AND OPPRESSION OF THE UYGHURS BY THE UNITED STATES SENDS A SIGNAL OF US SUPPORT OF CHINESE REPRESSION AND VIOLENCE AGAINST THE UYGHURS – THIS SPURS RADICALISM

Ahmad Lufti, London based terror analyst. “UYGHUR SEPARATISM AND CHINA'S CRISIS OF CREDIBILITY IN THE WAR ON TERROR”. Jamestown Foundation 2004

NEXT, SEPARATISM WILL FAIL IN THE STATUS QUO- ONLY CONTINUAL CHINESE REPRESSION WILL FOSTER ENOUGH UNITY FOR SECESSION TO OCCUR.

Dr. Paul George, and independent analyst in the Ottawa area, specializing in issues of international security and development policy. “Islamic unrest in the XingJiang Uighur Autonomous Region”. CSIS 1998 http://www.csis-scrs.gc.ca/eng/comment /com73_e.html

ALSO, CHINESE REPRESSION WILL CAUSE OUTSIDE SUPPORT FOR THE UYGHURS- THIS WILL ALLOW SUCCESSFUL SECESSIONISM.

Dr. Paul George 1998 above

NEXT, OUR PLAN IS A CRITICAL SYMBOL OF US SUPPORT OF THE UYGHURS-FUTURE DETAINMENT WILL INCREASE REPRESSION AND CREATE VIOLENT SEPARATISM AND TERRORISM AMONG THE UYGHURS-THE UNITED STATES IS THEIR ONLY NON-VIOLENT HOPE.

Uyghur American Association 2004 “Returning Uyghur detainees to China is against US interests”. http://www.uyghuramerican.org/press_release /returning_uyghur_detainees_to_china_is_against_u_s_interest_uaa_dec_1_2003/

FURTHERMORE, CHINESE REPRESSION WILL MOBILIZE FUTURE UYGHUR SEPARATISM AND VIOLENCE – WE ARE ON THE BRINK NOW

Colin Cookman, IR 586 - Islam in South Asia. “Uyghur Separatism and the Politics of Islam in China's Western Frontier”. 2004.

ADVANTAGE 1 IS PROLIFERATION

FIRST, XINJAING SEPERATISM CAUSES A DOMINOE EFFECT OF SECCESSION

Ahmad Lufti, London based terror analyst. “UYGHUR SEPARATISM AND CHINA'S CRISIS OF

NEXT, CHINESE SECESSIONISM CAUSES NUCLEAR WARLORDISM AND PROLIFERATION

Leonard Spector, Senior Associate at the Carnegie Endowment. The Christian Science Monitor 1993. l/n

AND, NUCLEAR PROLIFERATION CAUSES GLOBAL NUCLEAR WAR

Utgoff, deputy director of the Strategy Forces, and resources division of the institute for defense analysis, 2002 (victor, summer, “Proliferation, missile defense and American ambitions”

ADVANTAGE 2 IS UGYHUR TERRORISM

FIRST, TERRORISM AND VIOLENCE IN XINJIANG WILL BE THE DEATH KNELL TO THE CHINESE ECONOMY – EVERY SECTOR IS DEPENDENT UPON RELATIVE PEACE WITH THE UYGHURS

Andrew, MA in Asian Studies and completing Ph.D. on the PLA, June 7, 2005

Martin, “BEIJING'S GROWING SECURITY DILEMMA IN XINJIANG” The Jamestown Foundation, Volume 5, Issue 13, http://www.jamestown.org/publication...cle_id=2369849

NEXT, ALSO, CHINA’S ECONOMY IS KEY TO THE GLOBAL ECONOMY

James Hoge, Editor of Foreign Affairs, from a speech given to Johns Hopkins University. “A Global Power Shift in the Making”. Foreign Affairs. 2004

AND, ECONOMIC COLLAPSE CAUSES NUCLEAR WAR AND EXTINCTION

Bearden, Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army, 2000 (Tom, June 24, http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3aaf97f22e23.htm, Accessed 9/11/03)

ADVANTAGE 3 IS INDIA-CHINA WAR

INITIALLY NOTE THAT A REBELLION IN XINJIANG WOULD FORCE CHINA TO COUNTERBALANCE WITH A HAWKISH FOREIGN POLICY – THE IMPACT IS NUCLEAR SABER-RATTLING AND WAR WITH INDIA

Stephen Cohen, Senior fellow at the Brookings Institute. “Nuclear weapons and war in Southeast Asia: an unknowable future”. Brookings Institute.2002 pg. 13

NEXT, AN INDIA-CHINA CONFRONTATION WOULD GO NUCLEAR AND CAUSE AND INDIA-PAKISTAN ARMS RACE

Stephen Cohen, Senior fellow at the Brookings Institute. “Nuclear weapons and war in Southeast Asia: an unknowable future”. Brookings Institute.2002

FINALLY THIS ESCALATES TO GLOBAL NUCLEAR WAR

Carol Moore in 2005 (Nationally syndicated libertarian columnist and writer http://www.carolmoore.net/nuclearwar...scenarios.html

PLAN: THE UNITED STATES FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD BAN THE DETENTION OF ANY UYGHURS WITHOUT CHARGE. ALL CURRENTLY HELD UYGHURS SHOULD BE RELEASED IN THE UNITED STATES.

CONTENTION III IS SOLVENCY

FIRST, RELEASING THE UYGHURS FROM GUANTANAMO BAY IS CRITICAL TO PROVIDE SYMBOLIC SUPPORT OF THE UYGHURS BY THE US GOVERNMENT

Nurey Turkel, President of the Uyghur American Organization. “Briefing on Uyghur Human Rights”. Congressional Human Rights Caucus. April 2005

NEXT, US SUPPORT OF THE UYGHURS WILL END CHINESE ACTS OF REPRESSION

Nurey Turkel, President of the Uyghur American Organization. “Briefing on Uyghur Human Rights”. Congressional Human Rights Caucus. April 2005

ALSO, A CHANGE IN CHINESE POLICY AGAINST THE UYGHURS WILL END SEPARTIST SENTIMENTS IN THE XINJIANG

Niklas Swanstrom, Director of the East Asia Project at the deparment of peace and conflict

Research, Uppsala University. “China and Xinjiang after September 11” 2003

COMPLETE REJECTION DOOMS US ALL- ONLY REFORMING WITHIN THE STATE CAN SOLVE EXCLUSION AND OPPRESSION.

Pasha 96 (Mustapha Kamal, School of International Service-American U, Alternatives, v21, p292-3)

WE MUST WORK WITHIN THE STRUCTURE TO SOLVE

David Campbell, professor of international politics @ University of New Castle, “National Deconstruction: violence, identity and Justice in Bosnia 1998 p190-1)

NEGATIVE CRITICISMS OF THE CURRENT SYSTEM CAUSE THE DEMONIZATION AND ELIMINATION OF THOSE PERCEIVED AS THREATS TO THE NEW ORDER.

Yannis Stavrakakis, teaching fellow of government @ Univ. of Essex, 1999. Lacan and the political: Thinking the Political, also Director of MA program in ideology and Discourse Analysis, Routledge, Ed. Keith Ansell-Pearson and Simon Critchley p103-5

I think the China disad (sadly) could be part of a pretty solid strat against this case, and the Uyghur PIC (for Gitmo) too. Cut some specific link evidence and voila, you have a case-specific disad that's actually feasible. I mean, chances are, China would be pretty pissed-off if we took a preferential stance towards an ethnic minority that they think is trying to overthrow their government.

Also, extra T is def an issue with this case -- normal means of reducing authority is for them to be charged and extradited, NOT to be sent to the US. The sole purpose of this plan plank is to gain extra advantages, and is therefore abusive.

Next, run a disad made up of evidence from the Uyghur PIC saying that sending them back to China will lead to them being tortured and detained. If they shift out of the PIC, it proves abuse on T.

Finally, question their terrorism/econ advantage -- as far as I see, they have no solvency evidence saying that the case solves for Uyghur terrorism. If you ask them about in CX, chances are that they'll bullshit that "they're only committing terrorist acts because they want freedom" or whatever. Slaughter that with a good slew of analytics -- it shouldn't be hard, especially considering they don't have any evidence to support what they're saying.

Good luck.

PS the evidence that says China will torture these peeps is much better than the evidence that Centerville reads on the aff.

love

jamie

nhs 2006

what the hell is an uyghur?

Come on, you're a debater. Google it.

Nonetheless, Uyghurs/Uighurs are a specific group of Muslims that live in a particular region of China.

PLAN: THE UNITED STATES FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD BAN THE DETENTION OF ANY UYGHURS WITHOUT CHARGE. ALL CURRENTLY HELD UYGHURS SHOULD BE RELEASED IN THE UNITED STATES.

It was in the case outline dude, though there are most definitely alternates.

Explain the reason for this.

So the CP can bite the China DA even worse than affplan?

How would consulting Taiwan bite the China DA more?

I was just asking for the story on the Consult Taiwan CP, like what would be the Net. Bens. Other than relations good.

Because the story on the DA is that releasing the Uighurs pisses off China because it undermines their persecution of Uighurs, thus messing up relations. Consulting Tawain would only serve to make matters worse.

How would consulting Taiwan bite the China DA more?

I was just asking for the story on the Consult Taiwan CP, like what would be the Net. Bens. Other than relations good.

China isn't exactly tight with Taiwan.

send them to a different Country CP

When we hit that case we ran extraordinary rendition, and they came back and said that that would piss off China. We had no clue what this case was at the time (or what a Uyghur was) so we just ran a CP with a politics net benefit.

Here is the latest plan text we have read, we don't clarify sending them into the US. Thought I would update everyone

The United States federal government should ban the detention of Uyghurs without charge. All Uyghurs currently held in United States federal government detention without charge should be released.

Alec Wright

Centerville

FROM WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS CASE, THEY ARE DETAINING LIKE 15 W/O CHARGE IN GITMO AND ALSO SOME THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN CHARGED. THUS, THE 2ND SENTENCE OF UR PLAN TEXT IS EXTRA-T AND YOUR ADV'S CLEARLY STEM OFF OF IT.

how is ending the detention of uyghurs held without charge extra t - that makes no sense

Because you're specifying release. Decreasing authority to detain without charge guarantees charge or release, but it isn't your ground to specify which occurs. I can see this going two ways. Either you don't use it to spike out of disads, in which case I'd just remove that sentence. If you do use it to spike out of disads, Danny's right about the abuse on extra-T. The second sentence is only useful if you're being sneaky, and if they've caught onto that at any point following your 2AC you're probably in trouble.

Either way, I'd just make your plan text: The United States federal government should decrease its authority to detain without charge by banning the detention of Uyghurs without charge.

I know you probably didn't want to open your case up to worthless debate on cross-x, and that's fine, I just thought the above might be useful info. I apologize if I initiated unwanted questioning of your plan.

Either way, I'd just make your plan text: The United States federal government should decrease its authority to detain without charge by banning the detention of Uyghurs without charge.

Here's the thing -- if they use that as their plan text, then by normal means, the Uyghurs get extradited back to China, meaning they don't have access to their advantages. Either it's extra-T, or the case has no solvency. The end. There's no way you can cut this case to get out of both of those.