Da Fightin' Materialist

STEAL THIS KRITIK

I wrote this last year at Chicago UDL City Championships against Morgan Park's "Remembering East Timor" Aff. It's a Nietzschean kritik of the role of memory in life, mostly quoting Slavoj Zizek lackey Alenka Zupancic in her book on Nietzsche. I was told the evidence was clearer than the tags, which was true upon second review. Here Ya Go

• Upvote 1

Most of the concepts are slightly more difficult to grasp than "Heg key to prevent global nuke exchange"

oh snap, he got you, more importantly, NOAH!!! ur alive!!!

do you think this k would work against Korematsu if you argued Korematsu only applies to past abuse?

i think so- you can argue that the aff tries to promote action based on a historical reference

• Downvote 1

most of the korematsu cases i've judged this year deal with the decision and it's precedent, not it's historical signigicance.

• Upvote 1

most of the korematsu cases i've judged this year deal with the decision and it's precedent, not it's historical signigicance.

i think that some of the korematsu affirmatives link to this K because they talk about the precedent that was set and how we must look to the historical significance of that precedent in order to change the way that it will happen in the future and prevent it.

this did link a lot better to that East Timor case, but i think that with enough explanation the link wouldnt be that hard to win. its strange though, because i also read a zupancic critique on this aff the one time that i have hit it so far, but it was from her other book.

i think that some of the korematsu affirmatives link to this K because they talk about the precedent that was set and how we must look to the historical significance of that precedent in order to change the way that it will happen in the future and prevent it.

for the cases that use korematsu as a historical reference and the history of injustice in america, sure. however, (maybe i've been jaded because the majority of times i've seen this case it was ran by a novice) using korematsu as a legal precedent alone does not seem to really be what zupancic is criticizing. i'll grant that you are more familiar with zupancic than me, kelcey, but it seems that zupancic is criticizing using the memory of pain as an acting point. so as long as the teams running korematsu seek only to reverse the legal precedent in order to create a new 'policy' as opposed to an act of redemption, i don't think that they're basing their decisions in the memory of pain. narratives of the internment camps, references to the history of violence in the u.s., etc all would link but a case strictly seeking to reverse a legal precedent, i don't think would.

for the cases that use korematsu as a historical reference and the history of injustice in america, sure. however, (maybe i've been jaded because the majority of times i've seen this case it was ran by a novice) using korematsu as a legal precedent alone does not seem to really be what zupancic is criticizing. i'll grant that you are more familiar with zupancic than me, kelcey, but it seems that zupancic is criticizing using the memory of pain as an acting point. so as long as the teams running korematsu seek only to reverse the legal precedent in order to create a new 'policy' as opposed to an act of redemption, i don't think that they're basing their decisions in the memory of pain. narratives of the internment camps, references to the history of violence in the u.s., etc all would link but a case strictly seeking to reverse a legal precedent, i don't think would.

I think if you look past the plan text and to the actual rhetoric and evidence you can see a pretty good link. First all of there impact evidence indicts the detainment of japenese americans (a historical event). Maybe the affs you have seen are different, but the koremtatsu affs i have seen all have cards that talk about the fucked up shit that happened during ww2

I think if you look past the plan text and to the actual rhetoric and evidence you can see a pretty good link. First all of there impact evidence indicts the detainment of japenese americans (a historical event). Maybe the affs you have seen are different, but the koremtatsu affs i have seen all have cards that talk about the fucked up shit that happened during ww2

most of the affs I've seen talk about that 2, and also how it "may" be used to justify Gitmo, h/e, I think it still links b/c A) it still hasn't been used as a precedent B) Any of their solvency is based off destroying the precedent-judicial defference

Definitely, run some No Inherency arguments, and then that proves Kmatsu only applies to past abuse.

that's not a smart argument. just because shit happened in the past as a result of Korematsu doesn't mean the K links. the K is a critique of strictly "remembering" affs not ones that actually try to act on that memory.

plus your strat requires u to win the inherency debate before u get the links which means that u don't really need to run this K if ur going to win inherency. moreover reading no inherency doesn't warrant how the affirmative is only an instance of recollection especially if the aff reads a plan text. they could spin their plan as "new roads and paths to a newer encounter." althought i would say that the korematsu affs won't capture the nietzsche card. no aff's would on this topic.

i don't think this links to the common korematsu aff.

how would the neg answer the perm?

i don't think this links to the common korematsu aff.

how would the neg answer the perm?

you cant remember and not remember...

man, you k debaters always have these paragraph long tags in all caps. What up wit dat anyways?

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

yes, all korematsu affirmatives are the same.

that's not a smart argument. just because shit happened in the past as a result of Korematsu doesn't mean the K links. the K is a critique of strictly "remembering" affs not ones that actually try to act on that memory.

i do believe that you are wrong, actually. first of all, the case that this critique was written for was a case on last years topic about East Timor. in fact, this was a file put out at Northwestern (where i attended camp) and is the affirmative i ran for the camp tournament and then for the first part of the year. the affirmative talked about how we need to remember what occured in East Timor and the genocide that occured but we need to reconcile that memory by (the way that i ran it) establishing a Truth and Reconciliation Commision in East Timor with all U.S. documents concerning the U.S. occupation of East Timor. i think that this is exactly the kind of case that attempts to remember, and act on that rememberance as something necessary to move on - this is what zupancic is criticizing (i believe). the reliance on memory as a catalyst for action is how i understand the link to function.