caffeineprincess

Kritikal Agamben Aff

quick note -- "homo" is usually translated as "person" or "human," not "man" (as in male). the Latin word "vir" is usually what's used to describe "man."

while i agree, because i am in my third year of latin, that homo is translated as "person" and vir is "man", i dont think that a distinction can really be drawn between these words and their meaning, besides their spelling differences, if we look at them from the point of view of traditional latin interpretations. the first troubling point is that you draw a distinction between "huMAN" and "man" by itself, which i think is not necessarily the case - i think that it was the intent of the romans, etc. to maintain that the only folk who are "huMAN" are infact MEN - and i think it is the samething as person, populace, population, etc. because those were terms used to describe the number of MEN in an area, exclusive of woMEN. but here is where i think that Butler's arguments about the flexibility of words over time and context is most applicable - clearly the meaning of these words have changed over time to where words like 'huMAN' and calling a whole group mixed gendered folk "guys" is perceived as having no specific sex to the word - it is almost as if these words have changed gender from masculine/feminine to neuter in modern applications.

i think there is definitaly some link ground for a counter criticism of agamben and how he uses gendered language, but i also think there is some strong link turn ground against this counter-k.

9. Agamben writes some AMAZING answers to holocaust trivialization. In particular, there is one that compares those that would make the holocaust unspeakable to the SS who were complicit in the holocaust because they refused to speak of it. Also, he proposes a pretty good alternative which, as I understand it, is to bear witness to the unspeakable nature of those that die in the camp. We have to be witnesses the the fact that bare life is something that defies language...or something along those lines. I only ever hit that argument once and it was very poorly articulated.

what are the cites to those cards?

there is a pretty good zizek card too that answers holocaust triv.

however the way agamben translates homo sacer in his text it is "sacred man".

That's because in romantic languages like Italian and French, there is no way to say "person"--every noun has a gendered modifier. Therefore, any translation would come across as referring to a particular gender.