caffeineprincess

Kritikal Agamben Aff

7. Meh, my alternative (or whatever you call it when you're aff) solves. Whatever life is a rejection of identity, be it human or animal...whatever. It seems to me that it'd be pretty easy to just dance your way around this argument. Also, if they concede your framework then their alternative is useless in a world where sovereignty still functions. Sovereignty is not friendly to animals either.

Zack, my friend, dont pretend like these arguments are bad ones that you probably wont hear a lot and when you do you will beat them easily. I do not know the name of the aiuthor(s), but i do know that there has been one book written (yes, an entire book) on the anthro of Agamben. Then, Agamben replied to the book (it may have been people just defending Agamben or whatever) and NOW the same anthro folk are back to reply to all of the answers that were written as to why agamben is not anthro in a new book being published in 06 i believe. i think the argument is quite compelling, considering if they win a link it means your alternative which would attempt to solve for this difference in "human/animal" would have a better chance of being coopted in a world where his alternative is written to a system which is in and of itself anthropocentric. this shouldnt be confused with the line of thinking that "because he recognizes the current situation as anthropocentric he writes an alternative to stop that", rather, his alternative is predicated upon a system which HE has created as anthropocentric.

It works out well so long as you handle framework properly. Most of the Agamben indicts are dumb, realism is a tough but very winnable debate (I think the evidence is mostly on your side) and people ususally don't even run DAs when you don't defend a 'real' plan text. The only problem with that whole thing is that I am SO TIRED of running Agamben...but that's another rant.

but be fuckin ready for the postmodernism bad/zizek debate. :D oh such good and memorable times, Zack.

agamben= good k beacuse the aff uses the soveirgn power in attempt to end biopower, to use the system that created this bare life would be counterproductive and would lead to things like genocide or global civil war

agamben= good k beacuse the aff uses the soveirgn power in attempt to end biopower, to use the system that created this bare life would be counterproductive and would lead to things like genocide or global civil war

you cant *end* biopower.

I KNOW ONE OF THA AUTHORS IS WAIWADEL(SP?).....

ALSO THE LACAPRA EVI IS AWESOME WHEN ANSWERING AGAMBEN. IT TALKS ABOUT HOW AGAMBENS VALORAZATION OF BARE LIFE LEADS TO EMPTY UTOPIONISM (SP, SORRY I CANT FUCKIN SPELL) AND THERE ARE MANY OTHA ARGUMENTS ON THIS.

ALSO I HAVE SEEN MANY PROBLEMS WITH TEAMS THAT RUN THIS. ALOT OF TEAMS ACUTUALLY READ A PLAN TEXT AND DEFEND USFG ACTION. IF THEY DO THIS YOU SHOULD READ ABOUT 3 MINS OF ON CASE OF NOTHIN BUT STATE CO-OPTION CARDS AND THIS PUTS THEM AT A SEVERE DA. AND READ A COUNTER ADVOCACY TO AFFIRM PLAN, W/O USFG ACTION IE GRASSROOTS MOVTS LIKE THE MARSH IN 95 EVI....IT ACTUALLY WORKS LIKE A CHARM. IT IS 100% COMPET. TOO AND THE PERM LINKS BACK TO THE N/B B/C THE STATE CO-OPS ANY CHANCE AT EVER SOLVING AND ALL OF THEIR AUTHORS ACTUALLY CONCEDE THIS.

The aff does not read a plan, so the sovereign power is not being used.

The aff does not read a plan, so the sovereign power is not being used.

if u support state action u link if u deploy rights or promote them u link

i think a plan could be read and still roll agamben on the aff as long if u can argue it as a metaphor or some sort of independent advocacy u and ur partner make.... or be ballers and not read a plan text lol

kritik T and counter interp with the colon

don't run a demand with agamben tho bcuz u can link back into urself

to run against this position don't say biopower good that's kinda worthless- perm, gendered language, anthropocentrism, rights malthus...

Zack: Is there any chance we could get a copy of that case. I will trade a whole camp for that case, I have pretty much everything except for SCFI and DDW. If you're interested email inspiredcturtle@aol.com or im inspiredcturtle

I'll IM you soon.

I was just giving some ideas of arguments to run.

I know, I was just bored. Sorry if that seemed hostile.

Zack, my friend, dont pretend like these arguments are bad ones that you probably wont hear a lot and when you do you will beat them easily. I do not know the name of the aiuthor(s), but i do know that there has been one book written (yes, an entire book) on the anthro of Agamben. Then, Agamben replied to the book (it may have been people just defending Agamben or whatever) and NOW the same anthro folk are back to reply to all of the answers that were written as to why agamben is not anthro in a new book being published in 06 i believe. i think the argument is quite compelling, considering if they win a link it means your alternative which would attempt to solve for this difference in "human/animal" would have a better chance of being coopted in a world where his alternative is written to a system which is in and of itself anthropocentric. this shouldnt be confused with the line of thinking that "because he recognizes the current situation as anthropocentric he writes an alternative to stop that", rather, his alternative is predicated upon a system which HE has created as anthropocentric.

but be fuckin ready for the postmodernism bad/zizek debate. :D oh such good and memorable times, Zack.

Not saying it's bad, I just don't know much about it. I haven't ever hit it.

And the ziz debate was fun :).

I would run specific Agamben makes no distinction between real democracy and real totalitarianism. This is important because biopolitics is only bad in a totalitarian framework because democratic systems prevent incredible abuses.

Plus, Agamben writes that democracy itself is rooted in the state of exception, no government avoids it. The true Agamben framework is typically anarchy, and they need specific evidence saying using the state can actually stop the impacts of case.

Plus, Agamben writes that democracy itself is rooted in the state of exception, no government avoids it. The true Agamben framework is typically anarchy, and they need specific evidence saying using the state can actually stop the impacts of case.

I'm not sure that Agamben would be Anarchist or that the framework for the kritik would be anarchy....I would have to get back to you on that.

What is this case?

I have heard of Agamben great apes affirmative, is that what you are talking about?

I'm not sure that Agamben would be Anarchist or that the framework for the kritik would be anarchy....I would have to get back to you on that.

Agamben doesn't say "State is bad." His main argument in the book State of Exception is that governments now and in the past have used war "rhetoric" to push soveriengty and put themsevelves above the law and abuse powers. The state, I'm sure, is needed but feeding the government so called "rights" isn't going to solve the root cause of the problem. Atleast, that's how I understood the book.

agamben doesn't say that government is necessarily bad. he is definitely not an anarchist. the argument that his alternative is hollow utopianism is definitely solid. and agamben IS anthropocentric. there's definitely no doubt about that, as well as his sexism.

agamben doesn't say that government is necessarily bad. he is definitely not an anarchist. the argument that his alternative is hollow utopianism is definitely solid. and agamben IS anthropocentric. there's definitely no doubt about that, as well as his sexism.

Thanks..i was also under the impression after reading agamben that is definitely not anarchist.

Is there a better articulated link to agamben's "sexism" beside his use of 'homo sacer'. Is there some more insidious, obvious sexism that Saint Giorgio employs

quick note -- "homo" is usually translated as "person" or "human," not "man" (as in male). the Latin word "vir" is usually what's used to describe "man."

quick note -- "homo" is usually translated as "person" or "human," not "man" (as in male). the Latin word "vir" is usually what's used to describe "man."

however the way agamben translates homo sacer in his text it is "sacred man".

Yes it is true that Agamben mentions the 'sacred man' as in this example:

'The sacred man is the one whom the people have judged on account of a crime. It is not permitted to sacrifice this man, yet he who kills him will not be condemned for homicide; in the first Tiburtinian law, in fact, it is noted that 'if someone kills the one who is sacred according to the plebiscite, it will not be considered homicide'. This is why it is customary for a bad or impure man to be called sacred. [Homo sacer, 1995, p. 71]'

But that doesn't mean that he thinks that only men can be sacred. The sacred man is a living dead, who constitutes the law through its externality as well as indicating the limits of its operation. Sacred men are the pariahs of society, which Agamben at points identifies with migrants held hostage in detention camps as well as the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay. I don't recall reading about any women detained in Guantanamo.

Yea..I wasn't saying Agamben was sexist, I was pointing out that in the way Agamben translates it he refers to homo as man.

However I could be wrong, it might just be an error in the translation to English text that makes this mistake.

Under an article in Le Monde (sp?) Agamben writes an article titled "No to Biopolitical Tattooing"- which argues that the National Security Entry Exit Registration System "should be opposed". An Aff could use NSEERS which was put out by several camps and use this evidence

Is the aff that says gitmo= part of the state of exeption. State of exeption and gitmo are biopolitical. Thats bad and plan would solve by using the sovereign state against itself through international norms.

yo thats my aff. Its got some flaws but it is being fixed.... we turn the sovereign against itself to break down the state of exception that is GITMO. we have some biopower, infinite cycles of genocide, justice, and some other crappy adv.s its a pretty good well rounded case though

• Downvote 1

yo thats my aff. Its got some flaws but it is being fixed.... we turn the sovereign against itself to break down the state of exception that is GITMO. we have some biopower, infinite cycles of genocide, justice, and some other crappy adv.s its a pretty good well rounded case though

the neg can turn the fuck out of your case by using your agamben card as a link and then reading the agamben k whatever being etc. It turns all your advs because you defend state action, agamben is gainst state action. Beacause granting " rights" and trying to end the state of exception just peperputates the current system. Though they maybe given legal rights , they are still in legal system which exercises biopoltical control

i refuse to read that post until you spell "you," "your," and "you're."

edit